Google Fi Device Protection, stay away

anon(29585)

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Just figured I would give everyone a heads up with the device protection from Google Fi. No issues with he service until my phone fell out of my hands while I was walking down the subway stairs last Thursday on my way home. I opted for the 5.00 a month device protection plan. Got home and opened a claim which was easy enough and they said a new replacement phone was on its way with a delivery date of the 13-16. OK, I though, not having a phone on Friday the 13 will suck, but the weekend I'm home or out with the wife, so its not a big deal and I will have it on Monday the latest but it could be here on friday the 13th anyway. Its Thursday the 19th and the phone still has not shipped and no one can tell me when it will ship. The best answer I have received was, it is delayed and it could be a few more days.....Long story short, I cancelled this morning and I'm back with my old carrier. If you going with Fi, chose don't use them as a device replacement. The fine print doesn't say specifically when they have to send a replacement. It says reasonable....and Fi feels a week or so is more than reasonable. Use a third party but don't depend on project Fi... All the best.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm confused:

Cost of device protection

Monthly

$5/month for an enrolled device
The following deductible will apply to approved claims that result in replacements:

$69 deductible for the Nexus 5X
$99 deductible for the Nexus 6P
Free Next Day shipping (1 business day) is included for your replacement.

anon(29585)

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
All I can tell you is what I know. I don't think they have any refurbished phones in stock. My order shows it as processing since the day I filed a claim which was Thursday May 12. They will ship it overnight, they just haven't shipped. At this point I have cancelled the service and am porting my number back to my old carrier. I'm trying to cancel the replacement phone so I don't get charged 69.00.

Ha P McBroom

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Google fi's replacement policy. I used Assurion with my old phone carriers in the past, and it still took over a week for me to receive my replacement. But that was also what I chose so the fault was mine not the company. As for me I bought my Nexus 6P from BestBuy so I had opted for the BestBuy product replacement policy instead. Though I know that the leading company with agreements with all the carriers is Assurion I believe Google does as well. Good luck with your endeavor.

Posted via the Android Central App

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Fi Protect is through Assurant Solutions. I'm also curious how cancelling the device replacement helps? Doesn't that mean you'll just own a broken phone? You'll still own the phone if you cancel Fi service and go back to your old carrier. Additionally, since Fi (like most carriers) is outsourcing the phone insurance, problems with the insurance are not directly Fi's fault and they likely can't help you much while the replacement is in progress (since they have nothing to do with the replacement). I have heard of people, after they have received the replacement, if there were problems, having Fi work to "fix" whatever issue there was with the replacement.

anon(29585)

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
mogelijk, yes I still have the broken phone and cancelling the replacement phone helps me because I don't want to pay 69.00 for a phone I'm not going to use. I don't want to be bothered selling it either. I paid 199.00 for the 5X and I'm fine with that as my loss on this fiasco. My old phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6 and it works fine, just not compatible with Fi, which is why I bought the Nexus phone. I have no idea who the insurance is through, but all correspondence (telephone and email) is with Project Fi employees, in fact yesterday the girl I spoke with before I cancelled put me on hold so, as she said, she could call the shipping dept. Regardless of who is providing the insurance, Fi is responsible as they are the ones selling me the insurance and the ones I'm paying. If you were unhappy with the coverage and service would it be Sprint & T-Mobile fault since it their network? Of course not, they aren't selling you the service, Fi is. Well try as I did to cancel the replacement phone when I cancelled the service last night at 647 I got an a email which said the replacement phone shipped via Fedex and will be here on Monday. In the past I have used Square Trade which is who I have the Samsung insured with and I have never had any issue with. Look I'm not trying to bash Project Fi here. The service was excellent, between Sprint, T-Moble and WiFi I never had a dead spot. But there a serious issue here, if it take them 10 days to get someone a replacement phone. Today cell phone aren't a luxury anymore they are a necessity. With that said everyone that I communicated with at Fi was quite professional and polite but no one was willing to do anything more than apologize and tell me it will ship in another day or 2 at the most. It almost ironic that a company that makes its money based on information....couldn't inform me of when a replacement phone was coming. LOL

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Even if you aren't going to use your 5X, I still think you'd be better off getting the replacement. Since you aren't going to use it, you could likely resell it and, even using it as trade in with your new carrier or a similar "buy back" service, it seems you should get at least $100 for trading it in. For example, just looking at Amazon, they'll pay you $129 for a working 5X 16GB. If you sell though Swappa, you can likely get close (or even over) the $199 that you paid for the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2