08-27-2017 06:27 PM
32 12
tools
    Thanks for the quick reply!

One more thing, if I use another nearby MD zip code, would I be able to port my USC number? Looking at the latest T-Mobile coverage map, it appears as though they have added a ton of coverage here. Solid 4G LTE coverage for at least 1 45 mile radius. We just don't have any T-Mobile stores here, so it's not a popular service with folks.

Attachment 257143
    Yes, you shouldn't have any issues porting your number.
    barndawg76 likes this.
    04-19-2017 01:10 PM
    Yes, you shouldn't have any issues porting your number.
    AWESOME! Now, anyone want to buy an S7 Edge? Only 3 months old.
    04-19-2017 01:11 PM
    I'm in eastern Iowa and have great coverage from US Cellular. T Mobile is none existent here though and Sprint is ok at best. I'd still like to give it a try but when trying to sign up, it says that my area is not covered. Do they not use US Cellular coverage when determining if you can activate or not yet? Will this hopefully be something that changes?
    From what I've read others claim, they use T-Mobile to "activate", or at least to determine if you are covered. I know some have gotten around it by claiming they live in a T-Mobile area (not sure if they have to have it shipped to an address in that area).

I'm also not sure if you need to activate it in an area with T-Mobile coverage. From what I can tell, it activates on T-Mobile initially, and only after on Sprint and US Cellular.
    Not sure if either of you are still following this thread, but @sprtfan, did you end up activating Fi in Eastern Iowa, and how is it working out for you? I'm getting sick of VZ and ready to jump ship, but really want to maintain good coverage on the rare occasions I venture into more rural areas of the state.

I'm in Des Moines, which should have excellent USC coverage. The USC coverage map shows solid LTE coverage for virtually the entire state. But when I look at the Fi coverage map, it is extremely spotty for 4G, even in the Des Moines metro area... Do you think it's possible that they are using just the T-mobile coverage map on Fi? Or is it that USC has roaming agreements (there's some fine print about King Street Wireless under their coverage map), and their roaming agreements do not apply to Fi coverage, only actual USC towers?

Thanks in advance if anyone's still following...
    08-26-2017 09:37 AM
    Not sure if either of you are still following this thread, but @sprtfan, did you end up activating Fi in Eastern Iowa, and how is it working out for you? I'm getting sick of VZ and ready to jump ship, but really want to maintain good coverage on the rare occasions I venture into more rural areas of the state.

I'm in Des Moines, which should have excellent USC coverage. The USC coverage map shows solid LTE coverage for virtually the entire state. But when I look at the Fi coverage map, it is extremely spotty for 4G, even in the Des Moines metro area... Do you think it's possible that they are using just the T-mobile coverage map on Fi? Or is it that USC has roaming agreements (there's some fine print about King Street Wireless under their coverage map), and their roaming agreements do not apply to Fi coverage, only actual USC towers?

Thanks in advance if anyone's still following...
    I suspect it is just Project Fi either being conservative or not properly having added the USC coverage, but I couldn't say for sure. At least one thought would be to go ahead and sign up for Project Fi and use it for a week or month before cancelling your Verizon coverage. If you decide it will work for you, then transfer your Verizon phone number over to Project Fi; if you decide it won't work then just cancel Project Fi.
    08-26-2017 07:55 PM
    I suspect it is just Project Fi either being conservative or not properly having added the USC coverage, but I couldn't say for sure. At least one thought would be to go ahead and sign up for Project Fi and use it for a week or month before cancelling your Verizon coverage. If you decide it will work for you, then transfer your Verizon phone number over to Project Fi; if you decide it won't work then just cancel Project Fi.
    I have a feeling you're right about the coverage map, and it's worth a shot to test it out. I've been hesitant to try Fi because I don't think a 6P is a good long-term buy at this point, but haven't wanted to lay down that much $ for a Pixel. Long story short, I have an opportunity to get a retail credit from Verizon for my defective G6, so I think I'll get a Pixel through them and pop a Fi sim in it to test the network.
    08-27-2017 09:46 AM
    I have a feeling you're right about the coverage map, and it's worth a shot to test it out. I've been hesitant to try Fi because I don't think a 6P is a good long-term buy at this point, but haven't wanted to lay down that much $ for a Pixel. Long story short, I have an opportunity to get a retail credit from Verizon for my defective G6, so I think I'll get a Pixel through them and pop a Fi sim in it to test the network.
    There has been talk that Project Fi will be adding another phone soon, so there is a lower cost option, at least one of the rumors suggested it might be a Moto phone. I'd also seriously consider waiting for the Pixel 2 release, though it may not ship until the end of October.
    08-27-2017 02:31 PM
    There has been talk that Project Fi will be adding another phone soon, so there is a lower cost option, at least one of the rumors suggested it might be a Moto phone. I'd also seriously consider waiting for the Pixel 2 release, though it may not ship until the end of October.
    I'd heard that as well about a possible Moto phone. I usually buy high end / flagship level phones once every couple of years, I just have an issue paying that much for the Pixel 1 this close to the Pixel 2 release, but I really want to keep a headphone jack for as long as I can, so I'm not really interested in the Pixel 2. The retail credit from Verizon will be about $600 on a phone that I bought on sale for $300, so that will soften the blow considerably. Thanks for your input though.
    08-27-2017 06:27 PM
32 12