My existing GV number can't be transferred in?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to join Fi just to purchase a discounted 5X. However, it looks like my existing GV number can't be ported in for some reason, and they are requiring me to get a new GV number. Is there a workaround for this issue? I don't want to give up my GV number, as that is the number I use for all my calls and texts.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't be a matter of "porting" the number in, it should be a matter of just converting it to a Fi number. Did they give an explanation as to why? I would push for one, both services are run by Google, it should be nothing for them to utilize your GV number as a Fi number. In fact - if you try to use Fi on the same account as you currently have GV you have to decide if you want to keep your GV number as your Fi number, move your cell number to Fi and lose your GV number or get a new number entirely (losing both previous numbers).

I had GV on the account where I currently have Fi. I also have a Google Apps account so I moved my GV number there and ported my existing cell number to Fi.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you need to hop on with Fi support to get an explanation. Maybe it's something to do with the area code associated with the GV number and service not being available in that area.

I've found Fi support to be helpful, hopefully they can help you sort it out, maybe doing a manual override.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'm not sure what the trouble could be. I guess I could use my son's gmail account if I have no other option. That might be best anyway so I'm not moving my number around a bunch of times when I cancel the Fi service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo