Fi without a Google phone

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im on project fi with a pixel. Before I say what I'm going to say, please don't crucify me prematurely. I think th pixel would be a great sub-$400.00 phone. But aside from having the 821 soc, it doesn't offer anything special. Now, has anyone taken their fi sim card and used it in a non-google phone for any length of time? I know that I'll only be connected to T-Mobile, but thats ok as long as I get 4g-lte. Can you elaborate and help? I currently have a data only sim in my axon-7 and it works perfectly. Only thing is I can make calls using Google dialer, but can't receive calls. And yes, I think my axon7 beats the pixel hands down especially with its audio prowess which is important to me. Thanks.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im on project fi with a pixel. Before I say what I'm going to say, please don't crucify me prematurely. I think the pixel would be a great sub-$400.00 phone. But aside from having the 821 soc, it doesn't offer anything special. Now, has anyone taken their fi sim card and used it in a non-google phone for any length of time? I know that I'll only be connected to T-Mobile, but thats ok as long as I get 4g-lte. Can you elaborate and help? I currently have a data only sim in my axon-7 and it works perfectly. Only thing is I can make calls using Google dialer, but can't receive calls. And yes, I think my axon7 beats the pixel hands down especially with its audio prowess which is important to me. Thanks.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you install hangouts and Hangouts dialer on your Avon 7, you should be able to make and receive calls through hangouts.

However, you'll need to have 2 Google accounts and be signed into both on your phone.

The secondary Gmail account should be the one associated with project fi.

Your primary account, the one containing your Google Voice number, should not be on Fi but should be the one signed into hangouts and Hangouts dialer

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you install hangouts and Hangouts dialer on your Avon 7, you should be able to make and receive calls through hangouts.

However, you'll need to have 2 Google accounts and be signed into both on your phone.

The secondary Gmail account should be the one associated with project fi.

Your primary account, the one containing your Google Voice number, should not be on Fi but should be the one signed into hangouts and Hangouts dialer

So if I put in my primary fi sim into the axon, I still wouldn't be able to make or receive calls through T-mobile? I guess that the only way to find out is to try it. I'll wait till the holidays are over.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My situation was a little different, so you may need to play around with things.

Obviously, your Axon 7 is not a Fi Supported, but you can make calls through the Hangouts dialer. What happens when people try to call you using your Fi number now? Does Hangouts ring, assuming you have a data connection?

My situation was a little different....

I was going to Europe and wanted to a chance to try Fi and have an affordable option for international data.

I knew this was going to be temporary, so I didn't port my Google Voice number over. I created a secondary Google Voice number that was assigned to a separate Gmail account.

The secondary Google Voice number was the one I ported over to FI and I made sure both Gmail accounts were signed in on my phone.

I also had Hangouts and Hangouts dialer signed in to my primary Google Voice account--not the one that was tied to FI, so I could make and receive calls through Hangouts/Hangouts dialer, whenever I had a data connection.

This worked fine for my short trip. Afterwards, I canceled Fi and was given a prorated refund, so my entire international data expenses were around $15 for a 10 day trip.

Here is another thread I found that may be of use to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/48j59j/2_numbers_on_a_project_fi_phone/

Good luck.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My situation was a little different, so you may need to play around with things.

Obviously, your Axon 7 is not a Fi Supported, but you can make calls through the Hangouts dialer. What happens when people try to call you using your Fi number now? Does Hangouts ring, assuming you have a data connection?

My situation was a little different....

I was going to Europe and wanted to a chance to try Fi and have an affordable option for international data.

I knew this was going to be temporary, so I didn't port my Google Voice number over. I created a secondary Google Voice number that was assigned to a separate Gmail account.

The secondary Google Voice number was the one I ported over to FI and I made sure both Gmail accounts were signed in on my phone.

I also had Hangouts and Hangouts dialer signed in to my primary Google Voice account--not the one that was tied to FI, so I could make and receive calls through Hangouts/Hangouts dialer, whenever I had a data connection.

This worked fine for my short trip. Afterwards, I canceled Fi and was given a prorated refund, so my entire international data expenses were around $15 for a 10 day trip.

Here is another thread I found that may be of use to you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/48j59j/2_numbers_on_a_project_fi_phone/

Good luck.

No, i always carry 2 phones. Ive got my galaxy s7 edge on Verizon, and a pixel on fi. So if I get a call on my Verizon phone and ive got my pixel, i forward my calls to the pixel. I know that the axon7 will work with my regular fi sim card in because it will stay on T-mobile only. It wont do the switch routine. I really love the fi pricing. But I hate the pixel. I just checked with Google and they said that putting the main fi sim in a non Google phone would work as long as the phone is unlocked. So I did try it and yes, it'll work but only on T-mobile. I also put it into my Verizon S7edge and it worked in that phone too because all verizon smartphones are unlocked.

larry5601

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
No, i always carry 2 phones. Ive got my galaxy s7 edge on Verizon, and a pixel on fi. So if I get a call on my Verizon phone and ive got my pixel, i forward my calls to the pixel. I know that the axon7 will work with my regular fi sim card in because it will stay on T-mobile only. It wont do the switch routine. I really love the fi pricing. But I hate the pixel. I just checked with Google and they said that putting the main fi sim in a non Google phone would work as long as the phone is unlocked. So I did try it and yes, it'll work but only on T-mobile. I also put it into my Verizon S7edge and it worked in that phone too because all verizon smartphones are unlocked.

When you put the main FI SIM in the axon7 or the S7 did the phone support wi-fi calling through the phone dialer?