project fi put on service on hold, can't reactivate

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So a few months ago i was using project fi normally, then it just stopped--went online and they had put my service on "hold" until may 25th.

I tried to resume service and got a message "failed to resume your service. Try again later."

I called, texted, emailed project fi support and they did not know. They sent me a new sim card to try.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I have honestly not tried the new sim since this was so annoying and its only a backup phone, but sheesh.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
What phone were you using with the service? were you making payments on a phone and was the account current? If the account is on hold, I don't see how a new SIM will help. Also, there should have been SOME kind of indication in the email you got telling you why it was being put on hold.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
well, this was a while ago...so...I will fill in a few more details which might explain the problem
originally got project fi and a nexus 5x phone, used that to activate service
didn't like that phone, returned it
got a google pixel xl (not through project fi, paid full price via credit card)
didn't like it, returned it
used project fi for a while with an old samsung s5--which still worked, just on tmobile bands only i guess
that was fine for many months as a backup device
finally opted to get google regular pixel to use
did order this through financing via project fi
that unit wasn't great, and it got super hot with charging, also super hot talking on the phone for more than 5 minutes.
returned it
still was getting charged for it, took many calls, emails and follow up with project fi to verify it was returned and to stop charging me

a few weeks after that...the service went on hold
whether something about returning the phone borked my service, I don't know.
but I did not get any official emails from google about putting my project fi on hold
but given the general hassles....that could be a reason i guess.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
There were reports early on from people that were getting service suspended because they were using unsupported devices. A quick scan of topics on the support page doesn't reveal anything officially stating this and others have reported this to no longer be the case.

However, you DO still need to have a Nexus or Pixel device in order to activate a new SIM card so you may have trouble there if you decide to try to new SIM they sent you.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.

I think project Fi can be a really good service--for some people.
But clearly the biggest problem--it can only be used to full capacity on a limited set of phones. Some of which (nexus 5x, 6p) have known technical or quality issues, and some (pixel, pixel xl) are really expensive and almost impossible to replace if they break down or don't work. And if you are lucky enough to get a replacment, you get a refurb replacement and not a brand new model as they don't have enough.

That being said, I was just at a conference and couldn't get a tmobile signal. It would have been really useful to have a phone that could have switched to sprint seamlessly. Or functional wi-fi calling. I don't know if its technically possible to extend the service to non-nexus/google branded phones, but it would sure be nice.

And maybe I should get a nexus 6 as the emergency backup. Again, the phone thing is really inconvenient when the base model phone is the subject of lawsuits for boot looping problems.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
And if you are lucky enough to get a replacment, you get a refurb replacement and not a brand new model as they don't have enough.

Most electronics warranties clearly state that replacement devices are refurbished unless a refurbished device is not available, if your claim is more than 30 days after purchase. I don't understand how people think they're owed a brand new device outside of 30 days if they have to get a warranty replacement.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
fair point
but I hope they will offer new phones that can run fi that have better reliability than the nexus 5x. Or just more choices now--they need to expand phone choices.

The low cost option with data as you need it is a sound idea, but not if it only works with a few very expensive phones...

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Not any of my business, but sounds like someone simply wanted trouble.
I've put my Project Fi service on hold and have even cancelled service. I was later able to re-start service, same account, same phone number... no problem.

I was using my Nexus 6P... did not use a non-supported phone.

Goosinurwife

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
when i had fi they put my service on hold every month after a week or so after payin the bill that realy annoyed me cuz i paid my bill yet every month they put my service on hold untill i paid the bill i only had servie for a week every month i still dont know why they did that :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles