New Pixel 2: stay with SIM or go to Project fi?

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Just received a new Pixel 2 straight from Google and the package has brief info about using fi instead of transferring my SIM card.

I'm on Verizon and have no plans to leave them. My old phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5.
I am in rural New Hampshire where Verizon is the only reliable service.

My gut says stick with the proven method of SIM with Verizon. But what are the pros & cons of Project fi?

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Pros -
$20 + tax for unlimited talk and text
Pay for only the data you use, at $10 per GB up to 6 GB then "free" up to 15 GB (maximum total of $80 + taxes if you use less than 15 GB of data)
"Free" data-only SIM cards (they just pull from your main plan data allotment, pay for what you use still)
Coverage of THREE carriers - T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular. The phone will connect to the strongest one, though you MAY drop a call when switching networks
Tethering included - still pulls from the same data pool
International coverage is included. I was on a cruise with a stop in Nassau, Bahamas. Once we disembarked, I turned off airplane mode and my data just worked, at no additional charge.

Cons -
"Limited" data. People who don't think about their data usage and how to manage it properly will say this is a reason to NOT get it. I generally use less than 500 MB a month, it works for me.
No "perks" as other carriers have ("T-Mobile Tuesday", free MLB streaming, free Netflix, etc)
No zero-rated services (free YouTube streaming)

Here's a front-page article that may have more info - https://www.androidcentral.com/project-fi

I've been happy with it for my uses. While signal inside my apartment is spotty I have strong broadband and WiFi for WiFi calling.

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you hallux. After further investigation, it sounds like Google is establishing what is essentially another network.
Since I live where it's practically Verizon or nothing, and Google does not use Verizon towers, I think sticking with Verizon is my best bet.
Plus, my wife & I are old so we get an attractive plan from Verizon. It's at least as good a deal as Project fi.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, for the folks with the 55+ plans (I assume that's the one you're talking about) or for folks who live where only Verizon will get coverage Fi just doesn't make sense.

You've approached it sensibly though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37