Making the Jump to Fi

QSZ06

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Having been a Sprint customer for 15+ years, I finaly decided to jump to Fi. With Fi coverage including Sprint I really cannot go wrong...I dont think....plus I wanted a new phone so stepping away from the Samsung cult and into the Google phone arena also.
Question for long time Fi users, I noted the coverage map for Sprint indicates better 4G that the Fi map does for the same area....how is that?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sprint might have roaming partners that show up on its map while Fi does not take those into account.

If you haven't signed up and want a referral code - PM me, it'll get both of us service credit ($20) after the appropriate amount of time (once the second bill is issued I think).

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I made the jump to Google Fi this week. So far so good. I got the cheapest device they offered for the service and it has been great. Don't regret my choice to leave Verizon at all.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I just jumped on Thursday after being an AT&T customer for many, many years.

This morning I went out looking for a weak T-Mobile area to see it switch to Sprint, but I couldn't find one. Sprint has a local store, so I guess they can't be too bad locally, but I know nothing of their coverage around here.

I'm about 12 miles east of Hartford, CT, using a Pixel 2.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sprint has a local store, so I guess they can't be too bad locally
Don't bet on that - I used to be a dealer for Sprint and Nextel (among others). The store with the best Sprint signal had a pretty bad one. And the next town had absolutely no Nextel coverage.

The presence of a store doesn't guarantee coverage.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Don't bet on that - I used to be a dealer for Sprint and Nextel (among others). The store with the best Sprint signal had a pretty bad one. And the next town had absolutely no Nextel coverage.

The presence of a store doesn't guarantee coverage.

I'll take your word for that, but it does seem rather dumb to open a store in an area where your service is lousy.

Self-defeating, to my way of thinking.

M_A_Adams

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking about FI, ATT has almost no coverage at my in-laws in rural Michigan. I heard that with FI, calls can be lost while it tries to connect to wifi before using another service -- does anyone else experience that problem? I live in Indy, should be no issue here -- but on trips I have more issue with coverage than my wife (Big Red). My son also has issues up there with tmobile, but Verizon is fine and I heard sprint is OK. I do need data when I travel... Any feedback would be appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking about FI, ATT has almost no coverage at my in-laws in rural Michigan. I heard that with FI, calls can be lost while it tries to connect to wifi before using another service -- does anyone else experience that problem? I live in Indy, should be no issue here -- but on trips I have more issue with coverage than my wife (Big Red). My son also has issues up there with tmobile, but Verizon is fine and I heard sprint is OK. I do need data when I travel... Any feedback would be appreciated.
How's Metro pcs ? I know they part of TMobile but they huge in Michigan.

M_A_Adams

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Would Metro be any different than tmobile? My son has almost no signal there. That is why I am looking at other options like FI. VZW is good, but expensive

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Would Metro be any different than tmobile? My son has almost no signal there. That is why I am looking at other options like FI. VZW is good, but expensive
For some reasons I dont know , metro had better service. But Verizon looks like the only one, I think FI would give same results as the others .