Galaxy Nexus: A downgrade from a SGS II

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but software can always trickle down to other devices...hardware you can't change. In time I'm sure ICS will get to the GS II if not officially then unofficially rather soon, and at that time will Galaxy Nexus owners feel they still have the more capable device? That 720p screen is going to murder the obsolete GPU in newer games.

Absolutely no one on these forums has handled a device built around the OMAP 4460. No one. How is it that magically, somehow everyone just gets to assume that the exynos set is automatically better?

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely no one on these forums has handled a device built around the OMAP 4460. No one. How is it that magically, somehow everyone just gets to assume that the exynos set is automatically better?

Because a 4460 its self isn't magical. It is a 4430 clocked a little higher with the exact same GPU (also the same as the one from the nexus S clocked higher) The 4430 and the 4460 are even binned the same.

Stein357

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but software can always trickle down to other devices...hardware you can't change. In time I'm sure ICS will get to the GS II if not officially then unofficially rather soon, and at that time will Galaxy Nexus owners feel they still have the more capable device? That 720p screen is going to murder the obsolete GPU in newer games.

It won't be trickled down in a pure Google experience though.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It won't be trickled down in a pure Google experience though.

Why not? The SGS II isn't a locked bootloader device, and has an amazing dev team behind it. Like I said if not officially, then unofficially. The only real advantage I see to the Galaxy nexus (again on paper) is LTE, which is no small attribute.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Why not? The SGS II isn't a locked bootloader device, and has an amazing dev team behind it. Like I said if not officially, then unofficially. The only real advantage I see to the Galaxy nexus (again on paper) is LTE, which is no small attribute.

LTE and getting every OS update pushed to you without having to wait a horrible amount of time... There are plenty of advantages, are you really looking at this from ALL angles?

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
LTE and getting every OS update pushed to you without having to wait a horrible amount of time... There are plenty of advantages, are you really looking at this from ALL angles?

I am, and from the start I said I was talking about the hardware of the device, not of the numerous advantages of being a nexus device.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Well since you have not been told yet what the actual GPU is... CONFIRMED... I guess for now your post is based on hearsay and leaks.

It's starting now though... I hope you're wrong

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've decided to pass on the Galaxy Nexus and wait for the quad core chips which are supposed to have significantly better GPUs and 2nd generation LTE radios. Could be as early as 2Q12. The main reason I feel I can wait is that I'm still quite satisfied with my ThunderBolt. If I didn't already have 4G LTE, I would not wait.

Thanks, Robrecht

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys,

I think this device will beat everything out there when it comes to performance. I really care about GPU power, but honestly, there was nothing in the SGX540 that the original Samsung Epic could not handle. ALso, TI makes amazing chipsets. Their chipsets clocked at 800Mhz performed better than a dumb Qualcomm chipset clocked at 1.2Ghz. I know this because you can look at benchmarks from several HTC phones vs. Moto phones, which usually will use the TI chips.

Also, the big things about this device are the following:

- Ice Cream Sandwhich (i don't care if they released it on a Droid Incredible, I would still buy the phone for this reason)
- Face Recog
- 720p Resolution screen

The "pentile" arguments are based on one screen: the Droid X2 and the Bionic, which use a different form of pentile than the Samsung AMOLED screens use. The Galaxy S screens all have Pentile displays, and they look fantastic. The point of a pentile display is to save power. In fact, it saves about 30% more power than conventional models.

I can't wait for this phone. It is the best phone on the market (when it hits the market)

We'll see what AC has to say about it when they get their hands on it.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys,

I think this device will beat everything out there when it comes to performance. I really care about GPU power, but honestly, there was nothing in the SGX540 that the original Samsung Epic could not handle. ALso, TI makes amazing chipsets. Their chipsets clocked at 800Mhz performed better than a dumb Qualcomm chipset clocked at 1.2Ghz. I know this because you can look at benchmarks from several HTC phones vs. Moto phones, which usually will use the TI chips.

Also, the big things about this device are the following:

- Ice Cream Sandwhich (i don't care if they released it on a Droid Incredible, I would still buy the phone for this reason)
- Face Recog
- 720p Resolution screen

The "pentile" arguments are based on one screen: the Droid X2 and the Bionic, which use a different form of pentile than the Samsung AMOLED screens use. The Galaxy S screens all have Pentile displays, and they look fantastic. The point of a pentile display is to save power. In fact, it saves about 30% more power than conventional models.

I can't wait for this phone. It is the best phone on the market (when it hits the market)

We'll see what AC has to say about it when they get their hands on it.

I think facial recognition will be like 3D screens on phones... something cool to show friends but not very practical. Also, from what I understand the RGBG pentile Samsung uses does indeed look better, but doesn't do a very good job saving on battery power.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think facial recognition will be like 3D screens on phones... something cool to show friends but not very practical. Also, from what I understand the RGBG pentile Samsung uses does indeed look better, but doesn't do a very good job saving on battery power.

Well just by looking at the amazing battery life of Samsung android phones, you can see that it must do something, right?

I think the facial recognition, if fast enough, will be very useful. Just turn on the display and BAM! phone unlocked. lol

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well just by looking at the amazing battery life of Samsung android phones, you can see that it must do something, right?

I think the facial recognition, if fast enough, will be very useful. Just turn on the display and BAM! phone unlocked. lol

Even in the edited promo video it took several seconds (didn't work at all onstage)... also what about in the dark? I see it as being very annoying... but to each their own.

Also, saying pentile must be the reason the SGS II gets great battery life is like saying arm hair is why men are stronger than women. :p Totally different screen tech in play here, with all kinds of behind the scenes power management, and radio configurations.

Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Even in the edited promo video it took several seconds (didn't work at all onstage)... also what about in the dark? I see it as being very annoying... but to each their own.

Agree - seems very novel and cool and all, but I wonder how it will be in practical terms. Seems like it would be a pain to use every time you wanted to use the phone.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Also, saying pentile must be the reason the SGS II gets great battery life is like saying arm hair is why men are stronger than women. :p Totally different screen tech in play here, with all kinds of behind the scenes power management, and radio configurations.

True, but I am talking about screen power management. Android, in the settings, will tell you what part of the device is using what amounts of power. In the Galaxy Series, the screen is usually very low, while I often got upwards of 20-30% in HTC devices. Must be the pentile design. I read a bit about it on the pentile website; it went into all kinds of detail about how it works to save power.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
True, but I am talking about screen power management. Android, in the settings, will tell you what part of the device is using what amounts of power. In the Galaxy Series, the screen is usually very low, while I often got upwards of 20-30% in HTC devices. Must be the pentile design. I read a bit about it on the pentile website; it went into all kinds of detail about how it works to save power.

That's not because of pentile, it's because of AMLOED. The SGS II isn't pentile, it's RGB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois