5MP camera - downgrade?

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
so was there an explanation why the downgrade in camera? or is this camera super awesome that it doesn't need the extra 3MP like every high end smartphone on the market? i was so sure i was getting this phone until the 5MP camera... now it's not a sure thing anymore. :(

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: 5MP camera

MPs alone don't make a good camera. The hardware and software behind it, do though.

Don't be suckered into the marketing that more MPs = better pictures.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

The difference between 5MP and 8MP photos is that you can enlarge an 8MP to about 4 feet by 5 feet with little degradation of resolution.

Given that no one in their right mind enlarges their phone pix over, say 8x10 inches, there is absolutely no reason to increase the MP. Much better to work with better sensors to improve the overall photograph colors and sensitivity to light.

Kath

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

With the new features in the camera that rely on instant snaps, I can very easily understand why they went 5MP. I'm actually stoked about it.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

i'll take a good 5 MP camera over a crappy 8MP camera any day. more pixels but worse sensor would just mean more noise and worse pics.

BoostHungry

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

The camera looked good to me. Everyone knows that MP is just a number. a 1920x1080 TV only has about 2MP. 5 MP is just fine provided the sensor, lens, and software are top notch.

I'll let the reviewers have some time with it, but it looks like it will be superior to the camera on the new iPhone 4S whose biggest claim was speed of pictures.

zenit#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

i really hope its the same sensor which apple used on iPhone 4. No 8+mp smartphone camera came close to the quality of that thing.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site

MPs alone don't make a good camera. The hardware and software behind it, do though.

Don't be suckered into the marketing that more MPs = better pictures.

i know which is why i would have thought they'd address that by saying something about how awesome the hardware is or something.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

My DX has an 8 MP camera but has terrible sensors and software behind it and the shutter takes FOREVER! As Apple said LAST WEEK, MP is not everything and this camera proved it. MUCH better performance it looks like so far than the iPhone 4S camera. GNexus DESTROYED Apple tonight!

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site

My DX has an 8 MP camera but has terrible sensors and software behind it and the shutter takes FOREVER! As Apple said LAST WEEK, MP is not everything and this camera proved it. MUCH better performance it looks like so far than the iPhone 4S camera. GNexus DESTROYED Apple tonight!

had the same experience with original droid. i think motorola has really slow cameras. wonder if they fixed that for the razr. was hoping the video reviewer on here would fire up the camera to test, but alas...