View Poll Results: Is this device too big for you?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 11.22%
  • No

173 57.10%
  • I'm not sure, need a hands on...

96 31.68%
11-10-2011 11:16 AM
143 1234 ...
tools
    4.3" device w/ buttons is ~the same size as a 4.65" device with no button. How complicated is that for people to understand.
    10-20-2011 08:12 AM
    4.3" device w/ buttons is ~the same size as a 4.65" device with no button. How complicated is that for people to understand.
    I've heard that comment a dozen or more times, but that device looks big (which I like), but it doesn't look like a 4.3" device w/ buttons to me. Also, remember, a 4.3" device is huge as well.

Below in order from left to right, galaxy nexus (4.65), galaxy S II (4.3), nexus One (3.7), and the nexus S (4.0).

The Galaxy Nexus looks a decent bit bigger to me than the Galaxy S II. Thoughts?

Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs. Galaxy S II, Nexus One and Nexus S (macro hands-on) -- Engadget
    10-20-2011 08:26 AM
    Based on the vids I've seen, it doesn't look too big for me. Still will fit comfortably in my front pocket (or even front shirt pocket).

Folks who stick it in their rear pocket may have issues though....I've never understood that anyway.
    10-20-2011 08:29 AM
    If this keeps going as it is now, in one year we'll have tablets under our shoulders instead of a phone in the pocket. Thing's are getting out of control.
    Everybody is obsessed with thickness, thickness, thickness! Get real !

[HL]Any phone over 120 x 60 mm size is not a phone, it's a small mini tablet[/HL]

Frankier likes this.
    10-20-2011 08:38 AM
    If this keeps going as it is now, in one year we'll have tablets under our shoulders instead of a phone in the pocket. Thing's are getting out of control.
    Everybody is obsessed with thickness, thickness, thickness! Get real !

[HL]Any phone over 120 x 60 mm size is not a phone, it's a small mini tablet[/HL]

And thus the difference between a phone and a tablet was finally defined.

Actually, wait a sec. Isn't it a phone since it can, you know, make phone calls?
    10-20-2011 08:51 AM
    It's decent in size, but will probably still "feel" smaller than my Thunderbolt which is fat AND tall.
    10-20-2011 08:57 AM
    It's the same width as the Charge, and just a bit taller... Not too big at all
    10-20-2011 09:04 AM
    I'm not sure I would want to go any larger then the GN but don't have any concerns about its size. It's all going to come down to each individuals preference.
    10-20-2011 09:04 AM
    I was hoping for the below phone. Very disappointed.

10-20-2011 09:12 AM
    So why not a 4.3 with no buttons then?
    Jeremy626 likes this.
    10-20-2011 09:25 AM
    I'm with you belogical. I started a similar thread (sans poll) a few days ago. I really am surprised that more people don't think that its too large. They mentioned at the debut that they got feedback that people love larger phones so I guess they are going that direction. At what point does the phone become too large? Where are people's limits? I'm not so concerned about it in my hand, but I have to carry it around somehow and this thing seems like its going to be gargantuan in my pocket. Might actually not fit in the cell phone pocket of some of the cargo type pants that I wear.
    10-20-2011 09:31 AM
    I'm with you belogical. I started a similar thread (sans poll) a few days ago. I really am surprised that more people don't think that its too large. They mentioned at the debut that they got feedback that people love larger phones so I guess they are going that direction. At what point does the phone become too large? Where are people's limits? I'm not so concerned about it in my hand, but I have to carry it around somehow and this thing seems like its going to be gargantuan in my pocket. Might actually not fit in the cell phone pocket of some of the cargo type pants that I wear.
    Go to a VZW store or Best Buy (or wherever your preferred phone vendor is) and pick up a Charge. If that is too big for you, then the GN probably isn't for you. If it's not too big, then you'll be fine.

Galaxy Nexus:
    136mm x 68mm x 8.9mm

Droid Charge:
    130mm x 68mm x 12mm
    10-20-2011 10:02 AM
    You may want to check the dimensions of the actual phone, not just the screen + buttons.
    Example:
    Droid Bionic w/ 4.3" screen. 4.96 x 2.63 x .52
    Droid Charge w/ 4.3" screen 5.11 x 2.66 x .46
    Galaxy Nexus w/ 4.65" screen 5.33 x 2.67 x .35 (thicker w/ Verizon LTE)

Would people please stop stop saying this 4.65" device w/ no buttons is the same as a 4.3" device. It does not look like they saved any room by removing the buttons. This phone IS VERY large. It will work for some people but not for all.
    djw39 likes this.
    10-20-2011 10:03 AM
    boooooooo on the merged threads
    10-20-2011 10:07 AM
    I've used Sprint's S2 which has 4.52" screen, and it felt tiny bit large for me.
    10-20-2011 10:09 AM
    I was hoping for the below phone. Very disappointed.

Click to view quoted image
    Wow, isn't that the one with 3D projection?
    10-20-2011 10:10 AM
    A quick 1:1 overlay of the Charge on the Nexus...

zoomis, ottscay, Jdm4292 and 1 others like this.
    10-20-2011 10:15 AM
    I believe that we have multiple perspectives intersecting here:

* Those whose primary purpose of this device is as a phone - and thus screen size is not a critical necessity.
    * Those whose primary purpose is usage as a tablet - and thus screen size is primary concern.
    * Those who carry multiple things (keys, wallet, etc) in their pockets and primary concern is portability.

I myself fall into the second category. I want a screen between 4"- 6" so that my user experience is like a tablet. For phone use, I'll simply use a headset or earpiece. There's no substitute for a small screen though.

IMHO, the GN screen isn't big enough...

-KLH
    zoomis and Tom S. like this.
    10-20-2011 10:18 AM
    I've heard that comment a dozen or more times, but that device looks big (which I like), but it doesn't look like a 4.3" device w/ buttons to me. Also, remember, a 4.3" device is huge as well.

Below in order from left to right, galaxy nexus (4.65), galaxy S II (4.3), nexus One (3.7), and the nexus S (4.0).

The Galaxy Nexus looks a decent bit bigger to me than the Galaxy S II. Thoughts?
    I just spent some time with the PhoneArena Visual Size Comparison web app, and the Galaxy Nexus is exactly as wide as my Droid X or a Galaxy S2. In terms of length, the corners are the same, but the Galaxy Nexus is more rounded on the top and bottom, leading to a greater maximum length. In the hand it should feel the same, and in a pocket it will probably feel the same or smaller than my DX, since no part of the phone is as wide as the hump at the top of the X. You can get to their size app on any review, e.g. here.
    10-20-2011 10:39 AM
    I believe that we have multiple perspectives intersecting here:

* Those whose primary purpose of this device is as a phone - and thus screen size is not a critical necessity.
    * Those whose primary purpose is usage as a tablet - and thus screen size is primary concern.
    * Those who carry multiple things (keys, wallet, etc) in their pockets and primary concern is portability.

I myself fall into the second category. I want a screen between 4"- 6" so that my user experience is like a tablet. For phone use, I'll simply use a headset or earpiece. There's no substitute for a small screen though.

IMHO, the GN screen isn't big enough...

-KLH
    Makes sense as a category break down. I guess I'm in the 2nd and 3rd. I definitely more use it for tablet type stuff than for the phone but also think there is an upper limit to how big a "phone" should be. My 'issue' definitely falls into the 3rd category though, I agree. I'm not an engineer, but was really hoping for an almost zero bezel, true edge to edge screen, to maximize the efficiency of the case.

I'm sure that with time I'll get used to the size - its just the initial 'shock' of the bigger size compared to what I have now. I remember when I got my Fascinate coming from my BB, the Fascinate seemed crazy big. Same with going from BB Pearl to Tour. Same with going old flip phone to BB Pearl.

I bet iPhone user look at the thing, especially in that side by side comparison and wonder what we are doing carrying the big thing around.
    belogical likes this.
    10-20-2011 10:57 AM
    Personally, I think it's a bit too big also. I was hoping for less bezel top and bottom. There's enough space there to put in hardware buttons if they wanted. I don't know if it'll keep me from getting the phone though, but I was definitely disappointed in the sheer size of this thing
    10-20-2011 11:02 AM
    I have large hands. The TBolt feels good in hand but a slightly larger device is always welcome.
    10-20-2011 11:04 AM
    GN is going to drink your milkshake, lil iphone
    Lol...Epic post. I wonder how many people recognize the reference.
    10-20-2011 11:05 AM
    I just spent some time with the PhoneArena Visual Size Comparison web app, and the Galaxy Nexus is exactly as wide as my Droid X or a Galaxy S2. In terms of length, the corners are the same, but the Galaxy Nexus is more rounded on the top and bottom, leading to a greater maximum length. In the hand it should feel the same, and in a pocket it will probably feel the same or smaller than my DX, since no part of the phone is as wide as the hump at the top of the X. You can get to their size app on any review, e.g. here.
    Good link, thanks!
    10-20-2011 11:54 AM
    I don't think there will be a significant difference between this and the current batch of 4 inch smart phones.
    10-20-2011 12:19 PM
143 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD