Does anyone think its TOO big?

Is this device too big for you?

• Total voters

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
A quick 1:1 overlay of the Charge on the Nexus...

nexusvscharge.png

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe that we have multiple perspectives intersecting here:

* Those whose primary purpose of this device is as a phone - and thus screen size is not a critical necessity.
* Those whose primary purpose is usage as a tablet - and thus screen size is primary concern.
* Those who carry multiple things (keys, wallet, etc) in their pockets and primary concern is portability.

I myself fall into the second category. I want a screen between 4"- 6" so that my user experience is like a tablet. For phone use, I'll simply use a headset or earpiece. There's no substitute for a small screen though.

IMHO, the GN screen isn't big enough...

-KLH

Reactions: Tom S.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: 4.65" Device - Is it too big?

I've heard that comment a dozen or more times, but that device looks big (which I like), but it doesn't look like a 4.3" device w/ buttons to me. Also, remember, a 4.3" device is huge as well.

Below in order from left to right, galaxy nexus (4.65), galaxy S II (4.3), nexus One (3.7), and the nexus S (4.0).

The Galaxy Nexus looks a decent bit bigger to me than the Galaxy S II. Thoughts?

I just spent some time with the PhoneArena Visual Size Comparison web app, and the Galaxy Nexus is exactly as wide as my Droid X or a Galaxy S2. In terms of length, the corners are the same, but the Galaxy Nexus is more rounded on the top and bottom, leading to a greater maximum length. In the hand it should feel the same, and in a pocket it will probably feel the same or smaller than my DX, since no part of the phone is as wide as the hump at the top of the X. You can get to their size app on any review, e.g. here.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe that we have multiple perspectives intersecting here:

* Those whose primary purpose of this device is as a phone - and thus screen size is not a critical necessity.
* Those whose primary purpose is usage as a tablet - and thus screen size is primary concern.
* Those who carry multiple things (keys, wallet, etc) in their pockets and primary concern is portability.

I myself fall into the second category. I want a screen between 4"- 6" so that my user experience is like a tablet. For phone use, I'll simply use a headset or earpiece. There's no substitute for a small screen though.

IMHO, the GN screen isn't big enough...

-KLH

Makes sense as a category break down. I guess I'm in the 2nd and 3rd. I definitely more use it for tablet type stuff than for the phone but also think there is an upper limit to how big a "phone" should be. My 'issue' definitely falls into the 3rd category though, I agree. I'm not an engineer, but was really hoping for an almost zero bezel, true edge to edge screen, to maximize the efficiency of the case.

I'm sure that with time I'll get used to the size - its just the initial 'shock' of the bigger size compared to what I have now. I remember when I got my Fascinate coming from my BB, the Fascinate seemed crazy big. Same with going from BB Pearl to Tour. Same with going old flip phone to BB Pearl.

I bet iPhone user look at the thing, especially in that side by side comparison and wonder what we are doing carrying the big thing around. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: belogical

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think it's a bit too big also. I was hoping for less bezel top and bottom. There's enough space there to put in hardware buttons if they wanted. I don't know if it'll keep me from getting the phone though, but I was definitely disappointed in the sheer size of this thing

belogical

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: 4.65" Device - Is it too big?

I just spent some time with the PhoneArena Visual Size Comparison web app, and the Galaxy Nexus is exactly as wide as my Droid X or a Galaxy S2. In terms of length, the corners are the same, but the Galaxy Nexus is more rounded on the top and bottom, leading to a greater maximum length. In the hand it should feel the same, and in a pocket it will probably feel the same or smaller than my DX, since no part of the phone is as wide as the hump at the top of the X. You can get to their size app on any review, e.g. here.

Good link, thanks!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there will be a significant difference between this and the current batch of 4 inch smart phones.

Oh it's larger than a 4.0" phone. But it's in the same size class as a 4.3" phone. It's certainly nothing like the mini-tablet phones like the Galaxy Note or the Dell Streak.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
In the pictures I saw, the Nexus was significantly taller than the GSII. My issue isn't with the width, its the height

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As long as it fits in my pocket, I'm okay with it. I had the DX before going to the Atrix and I really miss the size of the DX. Can't wait to get this and have a good size phone again.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not even half an inch longer than the GS2.

Half an inch is pretty significant when it comes to cell phones. Especially when it's compared to an already large phone. Look at a 4.5" screen next to a 4" screen and tell be the difference isn't significant.

Jeremy626

May 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, i do think it's super huge... i will be buying it but im pretty concerned.
it's super long... longer than S2 and even Titan... and it's not THAT light and thicker than S2...
i do worry about it being in my pocket as i don't wear baggy jeans like i did in the late 90's... -_-
sigh.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz