Hello, Galaxy Nexus forums! Long time lingerer; first time poster!

I had been waiting for the Galaxy S II before I decided that I could no longer deal with the crap phone that I had (HP iPaq; never buy one!) and I impulsively bought a Motorola Atrix. I love my Atrix. I really do. But it just isn't fast and innovative enough for me (even with the custom ROMS and overclocked CPU).

But now that I've decided to go for another phone, I'm confused about what I should buy. Technically (if I'm wrong, please correct me) the hardware specifications for the Galaxy S II are better than the Galaxy Nexus. The only thing that I can see as an up that the Nexus has over the S II is ICS (which the S II will get sooner or later) and an HD screen, which is rather enticing since I love watching videos on my device. Otherwise, the GPU seems to be slower (even though there are rumors that the Galaxy Nexus was specifically built around the TI CPU), the has less MP, which I know doesn't matter, but let's not pretend that the Galaxy S II doesn't have possibly the best camera on any phone at the moment, and of course the microSD card matter.

I just really don't know. If videos that show how fast the browser show that the browser on the Nexus is as fast or faster than the S II, I'll probably go the Nexus route (I can't stand lag in the browser). If the opposite happens, I'll probably be the owner of an S II.

Can anyone disprove anything I just said or state an argument that the Nexus is in fact a much better (or slightly better) device than the S II?
    10-19-2011 03:48 PM
    so your saying GSII has better specs... Lets see:

- Nexus runs OMAP 4460 optimized for ICS while the GSII runs a older CPU
    - Nexus may have 5MP but its still better lens than the GSII
    - Nexus has a better screen
    - Nexus has better optimized performace
    - ICS!

Conclusion

Galaxy Nexus > GSII
    10-19-2011 05:12 PM
    First off...The Galaxy S II isn't available on Verizon. And, as of right now, Verizon is the only carrier confirmed to receive the Nexus Prime.

Nevertheless, the GSII and Prime's specs are pretty well matched. The GSII has a better GPU, but the Prime has a better screen. Aside from that, specs are very similar. The GSII did beat out the Prime in benchmark tests, however.

It's hard to argue with ICS, though. That seems to seal the deal for me. I am more inclined to go with the Nexus Prime over any phone out now or coming out in the near future.
    10-19-2011 05:41 PM
    Did you see how the camera had virtually zero shutter lag? Maybe they exist now but I've never even seen a digital camera do that. Does S2 do panoramic? What about the physical feel of the phone? I think the thin curveness gives it a certain wow/ different factor that could be pretty sweet. ICS looks REALLY cool I think (scrollable widgets, folders?!!) And who knows maybe if Google's acquisition of Moto Mobility finalizes non nexus Sammy's could be left to dry on updates. Plus the S2 has been out for a long while and albeit in other countries it is still older news. I'd rather wait for S3 if Nexus isn't the one.
    10-19-2011 05:41 PM
    Nexus all the way S2 *might* have a better gpu but ICS makes the GPU on the Nexus Hardware accelerated so even better! S2 no panoramic.
    Wiggy0211 likes this.
    10-19-2011 05:43 PM
    It depends on what you want to do with the phone. I've read on here that the GPU was superior on the SG2. If you play high-end games then that may be a deciding factor. I've never got into the specs that deep but, I'm learning a lot from reading on here.

From my experience a pure Google phone operates much faster and efficient than another phone with slightly better specs.

Almost a year ago, I bought a Mytouch 4G after really wanting a Nexus S. I let myself be influenced by all the negative things said about the Nexus phone. I eventually broke down and bought it anyway. The thing I noticed immediately is how much quicker it was and, how fast it booted compared to the Mytouch. Everything felt better, the syncing, browsing the net and, the whole google experience.

This is one of the reasons I took back my Bionic. It's a nice phone but, the Nexus prime is the phone I really wanted all along.
    10-19-2011 05:57 PM
    I think you don't really have a choice

Sprint, Tmobile, At&t: Get Galaxy S2
    Verizon: Get galxy Nexus. It is time exclusive to verizon only.
    10-19-2011 06:20 PM
    so your saying GSII has better specs... Lets see:

- Nexus runs OMAP 4460 optimized for ICS while the GSII runs a older CPU
    - Nexus may have 5MP but its still better lens than the GSII
    - Nexus has a better screen
    - Nexus has better optimized performace
    - ICS!

Conclusion

Galaxy Nexus > GSII
    That's not what test results show. The Galaxy Nexus is a little bit slower processing graphics, a d GS II takes better pictures. Check out this link. http://m.extremetech.com/extremetech...8a2940000001/1
    10-19-2011 06:36 PM
    It depends on what you want to do with the phone. I've read on here that the GPU was superior on the SG2. If you play high-end games then that may be a deciding factor. I've never got into the specs that deep but, I'm learning a lot from reading on here.

From my experience a pure Google phone operates much faster and efficient than another phone with slightly better specs.

Almost a year ago, I bought a Mytouch 4G after really wanting a Nexus S. I let myself be influenced by all the negative things said about the Nexus phone. I eventually broke down and bought it anyway. The thing I noticed immediately is how much quicker it was and, how fast it booted compared to the Mytouch. Everything felt better, the syncing, browsing the net and, the whole google experience.

This is one of the reasons I took back my Bionic. It's a nice phone but, the Nexus prime is the phone I really wanted all along.
    Another thing, will the browser lag when you're scrolling through thumbnail pictures on web pages. That kind of always been an issue on most android phones.
    10-19-2011 06:40 PM
    Depends on what your looking for.. If you want the quickest phone on the Market you should go get a 4s since it smoke's the SII,Bionic and soon to smoke the Nexus once one is available for a benchmark test.
    10-19-2011 06:42 PM
    Did you see how the camera had virtually zero shutter lag? Maybe they exist now but I've never even seen a digital camera do that. Does S2 do panoramic? What about the physical feel of the phone? I think the thin curveness gives it a certain wow/ different factor that could be pretty sweet. ICS looks REALLY cool I think (scrollable widgets, folders?!!) And who knows maybe if Google's acquisition of Moto Mobility finalizes non nexus Sammy's could be left to dry on updates. Plus the S2 has been out for a long while and albeit in other countries it is still older news. I'd rather wait for S3 if Nexus isn't the one.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't panoramic mode built into ICS? So when/if the S2 gets ICS, it will have that also.
    10-19-2011 06:55 PM
    I erased what I said before because I was answering based on the Nexus only coming to Verizon, which is likely wrong. I'm sure all carriers will get this phone, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Go play with them both when the Nexus comes to your carrier, and I'm sure the right choice will be made.
    10-19-2011 06:56 PM
    I think you don't really have a choice

Sprint, Tmobile, At&t: Get Galaxy S2
    Verizon: Get galxy Nexus. It is time exclusive to verizon only.
    It's not exclusive to Verizon. You can buy the GSM variant unlocked and use it on AT&T and T-Mobile. What they may have is exclusivity for an amount of time to subsidize the phone.
    10-19-2011 06:57 PM
    It depends on what you want to do with the phone. I've read on here that the GPU was superior on the SG2. If you play high-end then that may be a deciding factor. I've never got into the specs that deep but, I'm learning a lot from reading on here.

This is one of the reasons I took back my Bionic. It's a nice phone but, the is the phone I really wanted all along.
    High end games are something I'm not very interested in. To be honest, the only game that I will play that will probably require a good processor is GTA III. And I've heard that it will work with all dual core phones, so the Nexus should have no problem with it. Of course, if you want a phone for gaming, Tegra is probably the way to go...and my Atrix, which I don't plan on selling, has Tegra.
    10-19-2011 08:50 PM
    Depends on what your looking for.. If you want the quickest phone on the Market you should go get a 4s since it smoke's the SII,Bionic and soon to smoke the Nexus once one is available for a benchmark test.
    I'm really not a fan of iOS, so a 4S is pretty much out of the question. I just want a phone that can impress me as much as the S II did when it was first unveiled. It seems as if the Nexus IS impressive, but I just want to be sure that I'm not buying the best software on older, dated hardware.
    10-19-2011 09:08 PM

Troll troll troll

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    10-19-2011 10:24 PM
    Nexus all the way S2 *might* have a better gpu but ICS makes the GPU on the Nexus Hardware accelerated so even better! S2 no panoramic.
    I have a gs2 on AT&T and yes it takes panorama pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-19-2011 10:26 PM
    I have a gs2 on AT&T and yes it takes panorama pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Seeing as you already own an S II, what will you be doing now that the Nexus is about to be released?
    10-19-2011 10:53 PM
    Seeing as you already own an S II, what will you be doing now that the Nexus is about to be released?
    Keeping my gs2 I love this phone. I'm not one to need the next new thing every time. Shoot I had my iPhone 3g 2 years until the 4 came out.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
    10-20-2011 06:20 AM
    I think we've reached an inflection point. Everything seems fast enough to run most software now, and if it's not that's a totally different problem. I mean, seriously it's a 1.2 gigahertz dual core beast.
    10-20-2011 06:36 AM
    Sounds like you are on a GSM carrier. That means you actually have a choice. The SGSII is a nice phone. I wanted one myself.

Nexus has very similar hardware as the RAZR, same processor and RAM. The screen on the RAZR is a lower resolution, but for what I am going to say, that won't matter AFAIK*. CF-bench listed the RAZR as slightly better that the world version of the SGSII. By slightly I mean not enough to notice. So both phones are pretty much equal. The camera spec is a wash IMO. Bigger pictures are not better pictures. You might be able to get clearer pictures with the Nexus, but definitely faster on the Nexus. ICS is amazing IMO. It doesn't need a skin. The UI is what GB should have been when they promised an upgraded UI. The SGSII will get ICS,and it will work better after is does. It may even beat the Nexus.

I am getting a Nexus to have zero bloat. I am on Verizon and they load phones up with crapware. I also want updates as soon as Google updates Android. You need to choose your phone based on what you expect. If you want zero bloat and speedy updates, get a Nexus. If you don't mind bloat, you like touchwiz, and you don't mind waiting for Samsung to modify touchwiz to work with ICS, then get an SGSII.

*Screen resolution from highest to lowest: Nexus>RAZR>SGSII
    10-20-2011 10:17 AM
    This question keeps being asked. Its a simple answer. Anything with the word Nexus is better. End of debate.
    10-20-2011 10:22 AM
    Did you see how the camera had virtually zero shutter lag? Maybe they exist now but I've never even seen a digital camera do that.
    That is an easy thing to accomplish when you don't require the camera to focus in-between shots which is what seemed like was going on. In real life usage the speed is going to be dictated by the slowest factor, in this case it will be the AF system.
    10-20-2011 10:39 AM
    The only one who can decide which phone is for you, is you. Go play with a GS2. It's a great phone. If you like it as is fine. The Nexus is only slightly different. More curved and lower mp camera(with better sensor). The big deal is the Nexus is a stock device. Meaning when ICS is updated or when Android 5.0 is released, it will receive the update immediately. Where the GS2 and all other skinned devices take awhile because they first have to lay their skin on top(touch wiz, Sense etc) and also load bloatware, which is something the nexus won't have. All in all, the Nexus is a developer phone. If you plan on rooting and flashing like crazy, the nexus is your friend but if your looking for just a good phone that works and works well, the GS2 is no slouch.
    10-20-2011 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD