How long should I wait to hear word on an AT&T Galaxy Nexus?

geronimo51

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on most of the above. Question is for those of stuck with AT&T due to the unlimited contract where do we go? ;-) I am do for an upgrade. I still have my 3GS. The GS2 looks nice though old.... Sigh. Google dropped the ball on this one. Especially with the news this morning Verizon has it exclusively.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/27/verizon-claiming-galaxy-nexus-exclusive-on-website/

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
After seeing that video that AC just posted all I can say is WOW! I will be very interested to see this phone when it gets to AT&T.

Feeling pretty good about returning my SGSII now! I can wait until New Years to see what plays out!

Last edited:

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting although the DFW market has ATT LTE and it sold the SGSII. I am more concerned about the SGSII NOT getting ICS in a timely manner than I am about needing LTE. This is why my SGSII is going back by the end of this week. I will be happy to sit on the sidelines with my Atrix 2 and save my upgrade for some ICS and or LTE goodness in the New Year!

Samsung Italy has confirmed Q2 2012 as the time the SGS II gets ICS. Who knows when for the USA. Not a good sign for the USA owners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Italy has confirmed Q2 2012 as the time the SGS II gets ICS. Who knows when for the USA. Not a good sign for the USA owners.

That's okay. Even though it sucks that the US wont get it for a while.... I can still use the GSM version :D

Sent from an app that you can probably guess.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Pick up the Galaxy s2 LTE and within thirty days you'll here something and just return it if need be. I may do this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Professor777

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's another link for the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket -- an Amazing phone
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, HTC Vivid (AT&T) this month

This phone puts the AT&T version on par with the T-Mobile, with a dual core 1.5 and a 4.5 inch screen. It should have been released in the US to begin with since it was 7 months behind the Korean release. I'm glad to hear about the announcement because now AT&T will have the top end version of the SGS2.

As tor LTE, who gives a rip?! It is only a reality for less than .005% of the US map, so lets be realistic. The advertisements for the carriers push it like we can have it now and it is some big deal, NOT! and it won't be for a long time. Besides it eats battery life like a piranha. Almost no one has it so why should we pay more for it now??

Samsung, Hello: Verizon should not be rewarded for not helping you sell the SGS2, AT&T should be. Why should they get the Nexus first?! We should be reading of a Nov 16 Nexus release date for AT&T not Verizon! What are you thinking?

Which to get? ICS will be ready first quarter for the SGS2 (not second), but that does not mean we will get it then. Q2 is right because of carrier delay. Nevertheless, this makes the Skyrocket a good choice. ICS is the Nexus' #1 feature and the Skyrocket is better than the Nexus in some important ways. It is nice having a choice between great and great!! And don't forget the Samsung Note.

That Galaxy Nexus HD screen is so alluring, but that's about it; so is the SGS2 Skyrocket 1.5 CPU, SD changeability, gorilla glass, and Superamoled PLUS (the nexus does not have Plus) and an 8 mpx camera. The working screen size is virtually the same on both since the Nexus has the buttons on the bottom. SGS2 at 4.5 may even be bigger in everyday use. Most other features of consequence are the same (see my former post.)

However, what does this say for the Nexus release date? Since it was not included in this announcement, it indicates that they are giving some prime time to the Skyrocket but also may indicate a later release date for the Nexus.

Let's hope not. But will people wait until after Christmas for the Nexus, when the SGS2 Skyrocket can be in your hands now?

That's what this thread is about. When we are sitting at our computers writing posts it may be 50 / 50, but when we are in the stores doing Christmas shopping . . . odds move heavily to a "lets get something now" mentality. Especially since there is not that much noticeable difference. Personally I want a nice Christmas present and I'm sick of waiting. So, I would venture to say that most of us would like to be able to pick both phones up in the store and compare them.

Come on AT&T make it happen for us. Look to the future. These phones are your present and future bread and butter. The hardware totally blows away iPhone, and check the stats on Samsung's, and Android's, dominance in the business world. icaveOS is dead. It is copying Android now!

AT&T hear your customers or you WILL loose people to Verizon for the Nexus. Make your Nexus announcement before the Verizon release, and availability better be before Christmas. If you don't you are the only losers. We'll get what we want sooner or later from one source or another.
Think about it.

Reactions: 3lectroid

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
ATTENTION: Samsung, Google, and carriers. Please listen up. We are tired of waiting.

Samsung dissed the U.S. by releasing the SGS2 everywhere on the planet except here. We got 7 month old technology. Gee thanks. Did they compensate with special perks? No, except the better model available for T-Mobile (in stinkin' October!), and a 4.5 inch screen for Sprint.
But then the Galaxy Nexus was rumored. We waited for news, but should we wait again? Should we wait when T-Mobile's SGS2, in some ways superior, is available now?

Honestly, most of us who know what's going on are somewhat disappointed in the Galaxy Nexus.
1. It does not have a changeable SD card. (We could care less about the last Nexus precedent.)
2. It has only a 1.2 dual core when it should have a 1.5 by now.
3. It does not really have a 4.65 screen. 95+% of actual usage time, it's only like 4.3 because of the control buttons.
4. It is not super Amoled Plus. Not a major factor since it has an impressively higher resolution, but I'm just saying . . .
5. It does not have gorilla glass. Bummer. Go check out the SGS2 drop test compared to iPhone 4s. Yes it does matter.
6. It only has a 5 megapixel camera. 5 is plenty, and megapixels aren't everything, but it could've had 8. (Why did you cut so many corners, you make a fortune on these phones?)
7. Okay it has ICS. Well, unless you've been lying to us about android OS being upgradable, the SGS2 will get ICS.
8. It is grossly overpriced, if the rumors are correct. This phone is not worth $300. on contract.
9. How many programs are optimized for ICS? Not many, especially before SGS2 gets ICS.
10 Same old battery size. It should have been at least 2000.

Like many people, I kind of love the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm disappointed. I can't believe that Google and Samsung were so stupid as to not give us a super phone. Morons -- you could have cornered the whole market, and been the praise of the world. Not going to happen now.

Will we wait for a November release? Yes, to check it out.
Will we wait past Christmas? Absolutely not! We want this phone before the holidays on major carriers (not just Verizon), so put your boys on overtime. Plus Verizon's rates are too high.

Finally, the T-Mobile version of the SGS2 is actually a better phone. Slap ICS on it and this is a deal changer. Surprisingly, the ONLY real advantage for the Nexus is a q HD screen, really! Does that compensate for what it's missing?
Someone said that the lack of gorilla glass on the Galaxy Nexus was not a dealbreaker. True, but on top of everything else it becomes one. T-Mobile's SGS2 has a true 4.5 inch display, 50% more sub pixels with Super Amoled plus, SD card upgradability, a 1.5 GHz processor, an 8 megapixel camera, all the programming flexibility I actually need, and has a price tag that's $100 less than the Nexus!! Hello. I think I'll switch carriers.

My contract with AT&T is up for renewal. I've been painfully waiting since last March to ditch my iPhone with this icave OS. I have researched Android, its programs and its phones. It is vastly superior. But I am sick and tired of waiting. I WILL have a new phone in my hand by Christmas. And I think thousands of people feel the same way I do. We will not wait on you again. Don't expect great sales on a late galaxy Nexus, it's not that hot.

US version of SGSII will not see ICS before Q3 2012. Samsung Italy announced ICS for International version in Q2 2012. Really, I wouldn't expect the SGSII to have it before 2013. Never buy a phone for what you think it will get, just buy it for what it has.

djwyman

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been waiting to switch from sprint to att hoping this phone would come out soon but I got impatient and seen best buy was giving the nexus s for free so I jumped the gun and got it...good thing is I got the buy back program with them so if it comes out with in 6 months I get $350 towards getting the galaxy nexus which will be pretty close to being a normal price to pay if it is $600 or so full price. Besides I will still be on a phone that will get ics months before all of the dual core current Gen phones.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been waiting to switch from sprint to att hoping this phone would come out soon but I got impatient and seen best buy was giving the nexus s for free so I jumped the gun and got it...good thing is I got the buy back program with them so if it comes out with in 6 months I get $350 towards getting the galaxy nexus which will be pretty close to being a normal price to pay if it is $600 or so full price. Besides I will still be on a phone that will get ics months before all of the dual core current Gen phones.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Good thinking.

becandl

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I've recently become extremely disappointed with AT&T when it comes to announcing phones. Verizon actually lists upcoming phones and their release dates, but for the most part, AT&T keeps things too hidden and it's aggravating.

willardcw4

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've recently become extremely disappointed with AT&T when it comes to announcing phones. Verizon actually lists upcoming phones and their release dates, but for the most part, AT&T keeps things too hidden and it's aggravating.

Very true, and very annoying. I've been on AT&T since it was Cingular and they have never really figured out how to launch a phone in a half-decent way (iPhones excluded).

WE WANT A RELEASE DATE!

slinkygn

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
That Galaxy Nexus HD screen is so alluring, but that's about it; so is the SGS2 Skyrocket 1.5 CPU, SD changeability, gorilla glass, and Superamoled PLUS (the nexus does not have Plus) and an 8 mpx camera. The working screen size is virtually the same on both since the Nexus has the buttons on the bottom. SGS2 at 4.5 may even be bigger in everyday use. Most other features of consequence are the same (see my former post.)

No, the Nexus doesn't have Plus -- it has HD. HD Super AMOLED is the next iteration after Super AMOLED Plus. They're using a different fab method that increases the pixel density so that it's practically identical to the iPhone's Retina Display. How is this not in every way far superior to SA+'s "better subpixel resolution but lower pixel density" fudge?

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
ATTENTION: Samsung, Google, and carriers. Please listen up. We are tired of waiting.

Samsung dissed the U.S. by releasing the SGS2 everywhere on the planet except here. We got 7 month old technology. Gee thanks. Did they compensate with special perks? No, except the better model available for T-Mobile (in stinkin' October!), and a 4.5 inch screen for Sprint.
But then the Galaxy Nexus was rumored. We waited for news, but should we wait again? Should we wait when T-Mobile's SGS2, in some ways superior, is available now?

Honestly, most of us who know what's going on are somewhat disappointed in the Galaxy Nexus.
1. It does not have a changeable SD card. (We could care less about the last Nexus precedent.)
2. It has only a 1.2 dual core when it should have a 1.5 by now.
3. It does not really have a 4.65 screen. 95+% of actual usage time, it's only like 4.3 because of the control buttons.
4. It is not super Amoled Plus. Not a major factor since it has an impressively higher resolution, but I'm just saying . . .
5. It does not have gorilla glass. Bummer. Go check out the SGS2 drop test compared to iPhone 4s. Yes it does matter.
6. It only has a 5 megapixel camera. 5 is plenty, and megapixels aren't everything, but it could've had 8. (Why did you cut so many corners, you make a fortune on these phones?)
7. Okay it has ICS. Well, unless you've been lying to us about android OS being upgradable, the SGS2 will get ICS.
8. It is grossly overpriced, if the rumors are correct. This phone is not worth $300. on contract.
9. How many programs are optimized for ICS? Not many, especially before SGS2 gets ICS.
10 Same old battery size. It should have been at least 2000.

Like many people, I kind of love the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm disappointed. I can't believe that Google and Samsung were so stupid as to not give us a super phone. Morons -- you could have cornered the whole market, and been the praise of the world. Not going to happen now.

Will we wait for a November release? Yes, to check it out.
Will we wait past Christmas? Absolutely not! We want this phone before the holidays on major carriers (not just Verizon), so put your boys on overtime. Plus Verizon's rates are too high.

Finally, the T-Mobile version of the SGS2 is actually a better phone. Slap ICS on it and this is a deal changer. Surprisingly, the ONLY real advantage for the Nexus is a q HD screen, really! Does that compensate for what it's missing?
Someone said that the lack of gorilla glass on the Galaxy Nexus was not a dealbreaker. True, but on top of everything else it becomes one. T-Mobile's SGS2 has a true 4.5 inch display, 50% more sub pixels with Super Amoled plus, SD card upgradability, a 1.5 GHz processor, an 8 megapixel camera, all the programming flexibility I actually need, and has a price tag that's $100 less than the Nexus!! Hello. I think I'll switch carriers.

My contract with AT&T is up for renewal. I've been painfully waiting since last March to ditch my iPhone with this icave OS. I have researched Android, its programs and its phones. It is vastly superior. But I am sick and tired of waiting. I WILL have a new phone in my hand by Christmas. And I think thousands of people feel the same way I do. We will not wait on you again. Don't expect great sales on a late galaxy Nexus, it's not that hot.
Wah. Wah. Wah.

fogel35

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone can say how long to wait because Google and Samsung are a bunch of rank amateurs when it comes to releasing a phone in the US.

Reactions: Tom S.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae