I have googled and searched everywhere, does anyone know what gpu the GN will have? This is starting to worry me. How will games run on the screen with that high resolution? I love playing my games on my android. So If the screen looks all nice and sure I'll have Ics, but if games run like crap that will suck.
    10-19-2011 11:28 PM
    Powervr sgx540
    trigun123478 likes this.
    10-19-2011 11:49 PM
    Powervr sgx540
    Is this a rumor or what?where is your proof?
    10-20-2011 12:15 AM
    the powervr sgx540 is what the omap is speced as having. OMAPô 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4460
    10-20-2011 12:17 AM
    Yeah I'm seeing trolling articles saying, that Its way weaker than the Iphone 4s and Samsung Galaxy s2 gpu wise? So does that mean games will struggle to run at that high resolution?
    10-20-2011 12:23 AM
    Yeah I'm seeing trolling articles saying, that Its way weaker than the Iphone 4s and Samsung Galaxy s2 gpu wise? So does that mean games will struggle to run at that high resolution?
    Its better than the iPhone 4's... Do you see the iPhone 4's GPU stuggling?
    10-20-2011 02:14 AM
    So you mean the original Iphone 4. No but it doesn't have a resolution of 1280 by 720. That's 720p so games have to render a lot higher resolution and maintain a good frame rate. The iphone 4s vs the 4 has 7 times the gpu power. Benchmarks show the 4s gets far more frames per second on games.

So there will be a difference.It will suck to have the GN and have games struggle to run on it.
    10-20-2011 05:05 AM
    So you mean the original Iphone 4. No but it doesn't have a resolution of 1280 by 720. That's 720p so games have to render a lot higher resolution and maintain a good frame rate. The iphone 4s vs the 4 has 7 times the gpu power. Benchmarks show the 4s gets far more frames per second on games.

So there will be a difference.It will suck to have the GN and have games struggle to run on it.
    The iphone 4 doesn't have 720p, but it is close... a lot closer than a qHD screen. Also, I believe this GPU can outperform a Tegra2.
    10-20-2011 06:15 AM
    yes, but the GN has literally a 50% bigger resolution, 960x640 v 1280x720, which equates to 50% more real estate. This means if a 3d game is rendered at the phone's native resolution that the phone has to render 50% more pixels versus the iphone. one way around this, and this is how console games get around their terrible horsepower limitations, is to render the game at a smaller resolution and then upscale it to match the phone's native res. This means you'd see some blurriness and maybe distortion.

bottom line is this: the GN has a resolution that is common for many laptops. expecting a phone to have the power to render games that many laptops would struggle doing is a bit of a stretch. This is why we're weary, and even scared.
    10-20-2011 06:22 AM
    yes, but the GN has literally a 50% bigger resolution, 960x640 v 1280x720, which equates to 50% more real estate. This means if a 3d game is rendered at the phone's native resolution that the phone has to render 50% more pixels versus the iphone. one way around this, and this is how console games get around their terrible horsepower limitations, is to render the game at a smaller resolution and then upscale it to match the phone's native res. This means you'd see some blurriness and maybe distortion.

bottom line is this: the GN has a resolution that is common for many laptops. expecting a phone to have the power to render games that many laptops would struggle doing is a bit of a stretch. This is why we're weary, and even scared.
    Meh... not many 3d games... and most of the ones that are worth anything are tegra exclusive. I use my tablet for those... anxious to see how shadowgun runs.
    10-20-2011 06:34 AM
    Meh... not many 3d games... and most of the ones that are worth anything are tegra exclusive. I use my tablet for those... anxious to see how shadowgun runs.
    i havent played a game besides words with friends and hanging with friends in at least 4 months, but i'd like to know that a prospective new phone could play whatever i can play on my TB today. i dont think it will be a huge concern to me, but im just not sure how strong this GPU would be pushing a pretty intense non-tegra 3d game on such a massive display. aside from this, i will LOVE the massive display!
    10-20-2011 06:49 AM
    i havent played a game besides words with friends and hanging with friends in at least 4 months, but i'd like to know that a prospective new phone could play whatever i can play on my TB today. i dont think it will be a huge concern to me, but im just not sure how strong this GPU would be pushing a pretty intense non-tegra 3d game on such a massive display. aside from this, i will LOVE the massive display!
    Tthat was exactly my point. I have a tbolt, too. The omap4460 is better in every aspect... especially gpu. I know all the screen is nicer and hasway more pixels... i just dont believe google would have matched it with something far inferior for future development. There has to be hd apps first. And that could be a while itself.
    10-20-2011 06:56 AM
    It's the same GPU used in prior devices, but it's clocked higher. Combining the higher clock speed and the OS being able to take advantage of hardware acceleration, it should theoretically perform better than prior devices. How much the advantages of clock speed, hardware acceleration is countered by increased resolution will be seen shortly (I hope).
    10-20-2011 07:50 AM
    It's the same GPU used in prior devices, but it's clocked higher. Combining the higher clock speed and the OS being able to take advantage of hardware acceleration, it should theoretically perform better than prior devices. How much the advantages of clock speed, hardware acceleration is countered by increased resolution will be seen shortly (I hope).
    android/the devices didnt have hardware acceleration before? wow, i had no idea. if it's anything like we see in the PC world, i'd expect major speed increases, especially over time as the API matures. This sounds a lot better now.
    10-20-2011 08:37 AM
    This phone would have been brutally awesome with an Exynos, but I guess it might not have worked into what Google wanted.
    10-20-2011 08:52 AM
    This phone would have been brutally awesome with an Exynos, but I guess it might not have worked into what Google wanted.
    That may be true, but I'd rather have LTE and the 4460, personally.

I still think it won't make much difference with the full hardware acceleration in ICS. The only reason the specs on current phones have gotten so crazy is because it was necessary to beef up the hardware to overcome the shortcomings of Android. Until now, hopefully.
    10-20-2011 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD