battery sucks? face unlock fail -> phone swap?

Wangsta

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
While I was watching the announcement video, I noticed a couple things

battery life @ 36% - charging
Google and Samsung, a look at what's new from Android - YouTube

battery life @ 35% - charging after 390 seconds

face unluck - battery life @ 100% charged - a phone swap? what for? From what I have seen on the other face unlock videos, it seem to work pretty well. I was surprised a rehearsed demo would fail like that.

then if you continue to watch the video, they swapped the phone back again. Then during the bump they used two phones w/ half battery life

Am I reading into this too much, I mean battery life went down in 6 minutes while charging, and multiple handsets (3 total) on the stage caused the face unlock failure.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, yes you are reading waaaay too much into it. Calm down, and just wait for some hands on reviews. Engagdets review of the face unlock was amazing. Check that outl

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
There is no way any manufacturer would even think of releasing a device that consumes power faster than it can charge so there must be something else going on. I wouldn't worry about it

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus that had the battery going down was "beaming" power to another phone that needed it more ;-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Really? You have never had this happen on your phone? If I have the screen on with Nav running while charging, my phone actually loses power. I have an SLCD Incredible.

muerte69

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
They were swapping out phones whenever a different presenter came up on stage.
Multiple times you hear them comment about "My Contacts" or other "My"'s.

They may have had 1 or 2 demo phones as well as the presenters so you have multiple phones floating around. I know you can see tape on the back of one that may have a name written on it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and wait for the hands on reviews like TitansJonne said.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Really? You have never had this happen on your phone? If I have the screen on with Nav running while charging, my phone actually loses power. I have an SLCD Incredible.

Exactly what I was going to say.
This happens to me all the time, GPS + Data + switching towers + Screen at full brightness + Music and it'll drain power faster than it can charge it.

I just turn off the screen when I know i got a while before the next turn.

OP
I wouldn't read too much into any of that. It could have been anything, maybe the power usage to share out a screen like that at that resolution is big, who knows.

The bottom line is you were looking at atypical usage during a demo on a device who's software may not be completely tweaked yet.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to let a few little qwerks in a rescheduled presentation deter me.

If the battery sucks, I'll buy a spare. The fact I can do that in the first place is a plus. If the face unlock sucks, well I just won't use it. Its not like I can't live without it, I never had it. Plus that can/will be fixed with software updates. And judging by the presentation he seemed equally surprised it didn't work.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
My boss got a iPhone 4S on Friday. By Saturday, mid-day, he was in panic because the battery was less than 30%. Turns out he loaded it with a bunch of apps that did a lot of polling in the background.

Morale of the story is: Battery life is directly proportional to the number of blood sucking apps that you load.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Add to that that they were probably messing with those devices making sure everything was ready to go and loaded up to show in the presentation.

Also I'm a Thunderbolt owner so I've become accustomed to not the best battery life and the speed is worth it IMO. I'll just buy an extended or spare battery.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
While I was watching the announcement video, I noticed a couple things

battery life @ 36% - charging

battery life @ 35% - charging after 390 seconds

face unluck - battery life @ 100% charged - a phone swap? what for? From what I have seen on the other face unlock videos, it seem to work pretty well. I was surprised a rehearsed demo would fail like that.

then if you continue to watch the video, they swapped the phone back again. Then during the bump they used two phones w/ half battery life

Am I reading into this too much, I mean battery life went down in 6 minutes while charging, and multiple handsets (3 total) on the stage caused the face unlock failure.

so they could demo the face unlock. the demo devices being used would of course have no owner so they wouldn't have a face to recognize. they had to use someone's phone to try and use it.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Exactly what I was going to say.
This happens to me all the time, GPS + Data + switching towers + Screen at full brightness + Music and it'll drain power faster than it can charge it.

I just turn off the screen when I know i got a while before the next turn.

OP
I wouldn't read too much into any of that. It could have been anything, maybe the power usage to share out a screen like that at that resolution is big, who knows.

The bottom line is you were looking at atypical usage during a demo on a device who's software may not be completely tweaked yet.

These work great for charging when using your phone under battery intensive conditions (Nav, high brightness screen settings, etc.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze