What's your thought on this blog write up?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Came across a blog titled:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.0 not quite a super duo

Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.0 not quite a super duo - Chicago Sun-Times

It seems as though the writer is anti-Android. He mentions that the menu buttons on Android devices are cumbersome and confusing, unlike the simple 1 button found on the iPhone.
Most of his review seemed to down play the new Galaxy Nexus, as well as Ice Cream Sandwich.

Do you feel as though the writer has some valid points, or simply someone that doesn't care much for Android?

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
First off the Sun times is pure GARBAGE!!!

"That’s cute. But my first question is “Will it even work in the dark backseat of a cab?” and my second is “Can it tell the difference between a photo and a real person?” My third concern is that if I have to hold my phone up in front of my face to unlock it, sneaking a look at my Twitter feed during a wedding without my relatives knowing about it will become almost impossibly tricky."

If you don't want it, don't use it!!! Simple!! Plus there is still pin access. If he actually did he research he would know that. GARBAGE

"Android’s familiar (and increasingly cumbersome) row of hardware buttons " how are those buttons cumbersome? I mean it's simple as hell!!! Back, menu, home i mean what's so hard about that to understand? Did I mention GARBAGE?

He seems to be the typical Suntimes garbage writer, and yeah he's an Android hater.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is the Fisher-Price of phones. It's dumbed down to be useful for 80 year old grandmas. Many people have trouble with a device that isn't so simple.

Apple learned a long time ago what every middle school girl knows intuitively: If you're pretty and dumbed down you will become very popular.

Reactions: Foetus Burrito

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
BGR and others are on a slam fest to downplay this while giving the iPhone 4s major gravitas. A lot of people don't want Android to succeed no matter what.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's almost impossible to get anyone who uses an apple product (computer or phone) to like anything else. It's like a cult. Don't drink the Koolaid! For me, they are far too controlling in their very limited product line.

Reactions: Foetus Burrito

firelightx

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
BGR and others are on a slam fest to downplay this while giving the iPhone 4s major gravitas. A lot of people don't want Android to succeed no matter what.

I would disagree. I haven't seen anything biased in BGR's reporting of the Nexus. In fact, I just scrolled through every article they've written since the Announcement-Day... every article was pure facts. Spec-sheet, feature sheet, etc. Sure, they didn't go do a full run-down or hands on like several android enthusiast sites did, but their review of the GS2 started with them saying "It's hard to talk about how amazing the GS2 is when you're excited about the Nexus..."

How is that downplaying?

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The writer is clearly a moron. Back home and the "cards" button are quite simple. I know it's not Pre-K simple like 1 stupid button but good god come on! I am so sick of people drinking the Apple kool-aid and bashing anything else.

It's funny that the majority of those sites said they were disappointed in the 4S announcement then they suckle Apples...well you know...and give it rave reviews. Jesus people it's last years model with better internals. If android does that they get told to innovate or change things up!

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The funny thing about the "simplicity" of the one button system is that as apple adds more features that they want to be accessible from anywhere in the os, it all gets mapped to the home button (press, long press, double tap, ect) Where will it end, inputting commands in Morse Code via the home button?

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, this write up is in line with what most iOS users think about the new things over in the Android world. I say that because until I joined here - about three weeks ago - I had this impression of Android and its devices:

* Android hardware are superior to iOS devices
* Android software offers a user experience that isn't as cohesive or "smooth" as iOS
* ICS will directly address the "fragmentation" issue

When I used a friend's Droid Charge, I immediately realized that while the animations aren't as smooth, it's quite usable and there's nothing to fear... especially if Google's aim is to supplant iOS (with ICS). I think that iPhones users are beginning to see that Android phones are true alternatives. With ICS, hopefully Android phones will actually be better than iPhones.

It'd be nice to have a larger screen, faster network connectivity, AND a better user experience than what the iPhone has. That's all I want... for now.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It's almost impossible to get anyone who uses an apple product (computer or phone) to like anything else. It's like a cult. Don't drink the Koolaid! For me, they are far too controlling in their very limited product line.

Agreed. Not 100% true, but definitely true in many cases. I was at a party and was talking with a guy who owns one of the local Apple stores. Real nice guy, but we were talking phones and he made some comment about android something like "well, it really is a pretty poor OS." I just let the comment go because it wasn't worth the argument that I knew he wasn't going to accept any of.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that article looked like it could be written by Tim Cook's secretary.

I have said this before and I will say it again..... The only reason iPhone is still so popular is because it's users have never used anything else, including the writer of this article.

crazycheetah

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to go with everyone and complain about the author being an Apple fan. Actually, he seemed to allude to the idea that WP7 is better than iOS... could just be me reading between the lines, though.

Either way, I lump this into the category of "Android is not for this user, never has been, and I have doubts that it will be any time too soon".

Really, this seems to be a nit-picking blog post, which isn't inherently bad. However, he's throwing the baby out with the bath water, which seems to be common with all of the phone OSs for some reason that doesn't make any sense at all to me. I could easily make a list of problems with the iPhone 4(S) and iOS (for example, the multitasking is a big issue for me, because I multitask a lot on my phone while using it for work, and Android's is only second to WebOS in my opinion--and Android is catching up to WebOS on that regard, too), and I could also make a list of problems about Windows Phone 7 (for example, this Metro interface that they're throwing on Windows 8 now too is hard for me to click with--Android's and iOS both have an interface that is far more natural to me, with Android being the significantly more natural for me out of the three; I mention that specifically because it is my fear for Windows 8, which I fear I will be forced to use for work where I don't have a choice).

Basically, my take: No, Android is not perfect. iOS is not perfect. WP7 is not perfect. There is no perfect mobile OS for everyone. There never will be--the perfect OS will be very different between people (this is true on computers: Windows vs Mac OS X vs Linux ; I'm a Linux guy myself, except for work, where I develop software for Windows). If you throw the entire OS and any phone running it away just because it's not perfect, you're a fool. If some of the imperfections of one is a deal breaker to you, then fine, those things are a deal breaker for you and you should use some other imperfect OS that doesn't have deal breaker imperfections for you. For me, iOS's and WP7's imperfections do get to be deal breakers for me. I can see Android's imperfections, and even appreciate them being raised and discussed, but there are no deal breaking issues in it for me (and there hasn't been since I got my OG Droid running 2.0).

Let's see here:

Facial recognition unlock: I'm probably not going to use it, but to bash it as a negative is stupid. You don't have to use it, but if you do want to use it, then it is a positive. If you don't, then it's neutral. If you don't want to use it and count it as a negative (this article), you strike me as a fool.

The "Hardware Buttons" or in this case software buttons: This is a huge positive for me, not a negative. Clearly, the author doesn't click with more than one option (which iOS does have anyway, being more than one way to use the single button to achieve different results; I don't know about WP7--haven't played with it enough to understand where WP7 lies on some things like this). Personally, 3-4 buttons with some ability to long press etc. for further options on some of those in the sweet spot for me. That's where I get the most productive with the OS without getting confused. I understand when people disagree, but this article bashes it based on personal preference (then again, that's this whole article).

This supposed lag issue: 1. this article only mentions this because SOMEONE ELSE mentioned it. In fact, this gives it away that the author hasn't even actually used Android 4.0 or the Galaxy Nexus. The entire article just lost all merit to me right there. 2. I barely saw this on my OG Droid, and the only time I see it on most modern phones (I have a Thunderbolt, where I actually never notice this except with some issues related to ROMs and other customizations from rooting that the phone wasn't actually made to handle to begin with) is when I'm multitasking and switching between several heavier apps rather quickly (which I do do). Alternative OSs don't even allow me to do what causes this in my experience, so I don't believe it. Especially when you have other people who noticed the lag but then used an updated device and said that it wasn't there any more. Put Simply: this argument is what really kills this article for me.

Questioning the necessity of the screen, 4G, NFC, etc.: This is just a stupid point. If the iPhone had these, a lot of people (probably including this guy, though he would probably REALLY be all over it if a WP7 phone got them) would be excited to get these features. To complain that they're not necessary is stupid. The "Retina Display" isn't necessary, either, but everyone raves about it. Now Android gets something truly comparable (and in my honest opinion better) and it's "not necessary". This argument furthers my point that this article is ridiculous. As for 4G, I *really* appreciate that Android isn't sitting back and waiting for 4G to develop more widely in availability. The fact that it's not available everywhere yet is just a stupid argument. If there weren't any phones that could use it at all, then there wouldn't be any need to have it available anywhere at all, and there would be no 4G at all. It might not be available everywhere, but when you can take advantage of it, it's really nice (I know, coming from my Thunderbolt). NFC is kind of the same thing--yeah, it might not be widely used, but the point is that Google is trying to push it so that it will be more widely used, and Google's not the only one pushing it. When it is pushed more and becomes more useful, having it will be more and more awesome. More and more phones will be getting it. But we can already begin to use it and see the benefits now (Google Wallet, and now the transferring between phones, and there's probably more being actively worked on as I type this).

"Fragmentation": He doesn't use that word himself, instead choosing "diversity" and lists it as a strength and a weakness. This is the most valid point against Android that he makes. It does kind of suck that not all phones are updated right away and a lot of Android phones are so different because of manufacturer skins and other manufacturer choices. However, I think that's a moot point when talking about a Nexus device. This is straight Google. You get all of the updates that come out for this phone right away. Google hasn't abandoned the Nexus One yet, so don't count on them abandoning the Galaxy Nexus any time too soon either. You can complain that other phones might not get ICS for a while (if ever), but you're not longer talking about the Galaxy Nexus there. This isn't WP7 or iOS world where the phones are controlled from a central hub and updated all together. Also, to counter, my friends who had the iPhone 3GS hated it ever since the iPhone 4 came out, because ever since they upgraded iOS, they complain that the phone has sucked royally--I see a hell of a lot less of similar complaints from Android users going through an upgrade. They might get upgraded late, but everything continues to run just like it always has and doesn't suddenly get unbearable to the point of feeling forced to upgrade to the newest version of the hardware as well (which about half of them did, and the others either 1. jailbroke it and tweaked it, 2. just dealt with it but hate it, or 3. switched to a different phone all together). Simply put, every OS is going to have issues with the upgrade process somewhere. Android has taken the route of upgrading to a new OS being slow but stable. iPhone has taken the route of everyone gets upgraded for better or worse. I personally prefer Android's state on that--fragmentation is something I can deal with better than the entire OS coming to a crawl just because I upgraded to something that is supposed to still work equally well.

CONCLUSION (tl;dr): This article is opinionated and rather stupid. Every complaint can be argued, has been argued, and will be argued. It's meat for the people that want to bash on Android and most Android people should (some won't, but will only take it as an Apple fanboy article) recognize that the arguments made are either ridiculous or just a matter personal preference. There's articles going the same way against the iPhone and WP7 as well, and they actually annoy me equally (although I do tend to agree with them a lot more, because they tend to be more in line with my own personal preference).

That's all.

Reactions: cdf3

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

That's not true for everyone. I love my Imac and, am on it most of the time but, I also have my home-built pc running a duo-boot of Windows 7 & Ubuntu. I also love my Ipad 2 but, have the Xoom and like it very much also.

When it comes to phones, I have an Iphone 4 but, will soon be getting a Galaxy Nexus. I like all kinds of tech and, while I like Apple stuff, that's not all I like.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I swear to god that half the tech writers/bloggers on the internet are on the take from Apple. This isn't an anti-Apple thing, either, it's an anti BGR-type slant thing. If a device doesn't have a certain fruit logo on it, it's automatically inferior and any review of it maxes out at like 7/10.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I swear to god that half the tech writers/bloggers on the internet are on the take from Apple. This isn't an anti-Apple thing, either, it's an anti BGR-type slant thing. If a device doesn't have a certain fruit logo on it, it's automatically inferior and any review of it maxes out at like 7/10.

Agreed. That's why these days if you want an HONEST review of a non-Apple device you must look at the sites that deal with only that O/S like Android or WP7. BGR sucks big time and so do most other "tech" sites these days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey