Are the 3 buttons on the bottom customizable?

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The one and only thing I dislike about the Nexus Prime is that those 3 buttons on the bottom look so retro and cheesy. Does anyone know if those could be changed out to other buttons? Better yet, can the buttons theme be changed, the way you can change themes in go launcher? Our will I indefinitely be staring at those pencil-like renditions of the home button?

K

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Good question. And we don't know.

I'd like to think that they can be themed some how...maybe with a different launcher. I'm sure it's a possibility. I wouldn't dismiss it.

I'm more curious as to whether or not the bezel is touch sensitive to make them appear and reappear. I have yet to see any proof of this.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure devs will find a way to add shortcuts, change the theme of the buttons, and the rest. The only way I can see that being achieved is by rooting because as far as I can tell, there are no apps in the market that allow you to change something that's on the system level unless you root.

generous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not out of box. I'd expect to see a feature like that in CM9.

One thing I don't get is the lack of a permanent search button. I don't know about you, but I use it all the time. Especially voice actions. Its convienent to hit a button and say 'navigate to blah blah'. Or 'define blah blah'.

Google's main product is search, and this will be the first nexus device without easy access to search from anywhere. Fortunetly, there are apps that allow a double-tap home key customization. (quicklauncher, etc).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

One thing I don't get is the lack of a permanent search button. I don't know about you, but I use it all the time. Especially voice actions. Its convienent to hit a button and say 'navigate to blah blah'. Or 'define blah blah'.

Google's main product is search, and this will be the first nexus device without easy access to search from anywhere. Fortunetly, there are apps that allow a double-tap home key customization. (quicklauncher, etc).

There is a persistent search box at the TOP of every home screen. Inside of apps however, I am not sure of how one would reach search, if the app doesn't already have a built in search button. Every app has to be recoded? But from the Home screens, you have search.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Those are the same 3 buttons found on Honeycomb and Samsung customized them in their TouchWiz launcher update.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My question as well. Other than in the browser I haven't actually SEEN a Menu button in any app. This definitely confuses me. And it is not on the bottom.

I have the Xoom (which uses Honeycomb) and it does take getting use to.

What I like is, you can change/replace the bottom row of icons that are seen on every screen.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the Xoom (which uses Honeycomb) and it does take getting use to.

What I like is, you can change/replace the bottom row of icons that are seen on every screen.

I have the XOOM too. The menu is at the top in Honeycomb I realize. If you look at all the apps in ICS (except for the browser), I didn't notice a menu button anywhere. Maybe I just missed it. I love how ICS looks, I'm just a bit confused by some things here initially.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The menu button usually appears on honeycomb when an app that uses them (third party) needs them.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

Grawbad

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually the buttons change based on where your at.

So one can assume that developers of apps also have the ability to put whatever they like there for their app.

So then push that forward I would also assume that we can have some effect on what goes there.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb uses the menu button only if the app in the foreground has a use for the menu. For example I'm on my Xoom right in Dolphin Pad browser, the normal back button has changed to a down button which would close the on screen keyboard as soon as the keyboard closes it turns back into a back button. Then I have the home button and the multitasking button these never change. Then I have a menu button that will give me dolphins menu options. If I click home that menu button disappears since there is no use for menu from the home screen.

If what I said sounds confusing or dumb don't worry it works. Gingerbread feels terrible to me after enjoying honeycomb and to be honest its not that honeycomb is easier to use it just makes much more sense. This is why I want the Nexus, way better os.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12