Announcing a device with no confirmed carrier isn't good marketing. Google has really botched this, but it might be because they really don't care about the phone.

Announcing ICS seemed to be the main priority. What's the hurry? Announce the phone, OS, and carrier at the same time.

Verizon really is a pain to deal with... Will they ever learn?
    10-21-2011 07:20 AM
    I'm guessing Verizon will probably spend a decent amount marketing this phone, but not before they spend more money marketing the RAZR. Verizon's flagship phone has always been a Droid phone, and I don't see them letting a Nexus overtake a Droid in terms of advertising priority. They'll probably get as many people as possible to buy/preorder the RAZR before making an official announcement of the GN.
    10-21-2011 07:38 AM
    it is annoying ill agree...but would Louisville Slugger announce a new bat for the MLB in Japan??? get what Im saying...why announce your main market carriers in a place where that part of the world has never heard of them. Ya it was webcast live, but still i think they will announce it shortly stateside

***Edit*** Also i would argue that any marketing that they do isnt directed at us. We stay informed, its the people that arnt constantly staying up on the tech world that would need marketing. So really, why are we actually worried bout it?
    10-21-2011 07:38 AM
    it is annoying ill agree...but would Louisville Slugger announce a new bat for the MLB in Japan??? get what Im saying...why announce your main market carriers in a place where that part of the world has never heard of them. Ya it was webcast live, but still i think they will announce it shortly stateside

***Edit*** Also i would argue that any marketing that they do isnt directed at us. We stay informed, its the people that arnt constantly staying up on the tech world that would need marketing. So really, why are we actually worried bout it?
    Yeah he does have a point. People are wondering as to why there was not an LTE version there also. Simply because there is no LTE service where it was presented. I remember Panda saying that the US versions would be announced on US soil in due time. Think about it, this device has to be out by black friday for it to compete with the IPh*ne. Plus we already have tenitive release date which is 11-10-11. So they HAVE to announce it soon if they're going to carry the device (verizon). Rumor has it though that there's issues with the device connecting to the LTE network. We all know this could very well be true, since LTE is a pain to work with right now. I hope they don't just can the whole launch because of this though. Me like many others have our hearts set on this device. Some of us in the IRC channel #gnexus have known that it's having issues for a couple days now. There is still a little hope though since the testing devices have not got pulled yet. We are working on making up a post with some Verizon marketing big wigs emails so we can tell them just how important this device is to us. I will make a post of this in a little while and will add to it as we get more information. My gut feeling is that we will get the device but this can't hurt if anything.
    10-21-2011 07:52 AM
    Announcing a device with no confirmed carrier isn't good marketing. Google has really botched this, but it might be because they really don't care about the phone.

Announcing ICS seemed to be the main priority. What's the hurry? Announce the phone, OS, and carrier at the same time.

Maybe because it is a worldwide phone and not a US exclusive?

Such an American attitude!
    10-21-2011 07:54 AM

Last time I checked this forum has a higher percentage of Americans in it. So It would be safe to say it will have a higher percentage of American attitude.

I could care less if Verizon markets this phone. It's a dev phone that gets updates first. Most consumers could care less about updates.
    10-21-2011 09:08 AM

Lol...what did his post have to do with the U.S.? It was odd to announce the device without carriers. All ut does is stifle excitement because no one knows if they'll be able to get it or not.
    10-21-2011 09:18 AM
    Sony ericsson announced the xperia play in feb 2011 and said it will be available exclusively on verizon in April.

Verizon themselves never made any announcement and release the xperia play in June.

So it is always the oems that want the phones to come out asap but verizon controls the release schedule.
    10-21-2011 09:37 AM
    Also google and samsung is doing a worldwide launch. It is coming to europe and japan in November. They are not going to delay a worldwide launch just because of USA only.

Same situation with sony ericsson xperia play. It was available worldwide in April but Verizon release it in June.
    10-21-2011 09:40 AM
    I'm guessing Verizon will probably spend a decent amount marketing this phone, but not before they spend more money marketing the RAZR. Verizon's flagship phone has always been a Droid phone, and I don't see them letting a Nexus overtake a Droid in terms of advertising priority. They'll probably get as many people as possible to buy/preorder the RAZR before making an official announcement of the GN.
    This is a very good point. The preorder for the Razr isn't until the 27th. I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the 28th or the Tuesday after (November 1st) to announce the Galaxy Nexus.
    10-21-2011 09:42 AM
    The Nexus to my knowledge has never been a "carrier marketed" phone per se. Why start now? Nexus promotes/markets the platform sans manufactures addons ala Blur, Sense, Wiz and without a carrier.

Myself... I think thats kinda cool. It makes the android os the star with no distractions.

If I was Verizon, I would not be all that excited about the Nexus as opposed to the RAZR or Rezound. It makes business sense.

Enthusiast viewpoint versus Company viewpoint. There is a world of difference.
    10-21-2011 09:58 AM

Its a world phone. They presented the phone, it's up to the carrier to announce in their own way. Verizon takes their sweet time announcing phones.
    10-21-2011 10:08 AM
    Its a world phone. They presented the phone, it's up to the carrier to announce in their own way. Verizon takes their sweet time announcing phones.
    If you're referring to the Nexus as a world phone then I think the way you use the term needs explanation. Usually a "worldphone" means a phone that has both CDMA and GSM radios and can operate in both environments. Otherwise a phone that is sold all around the world but as separate CDMA or GSM versions is NOT a world phone.
    10-21-2011 10:28 AM
    If you're referring to the Nexus as a world phone then I think the way you use the term needs explanation. Usually a "worldphone" means a phone that has both CDMA and GSM radios and can operate in both environments. Otherwise a phone that is sold all around the world but as separate CDMA or GSM versions is NOT a world phone.
    Clearly you knew what i meant. I apologize for not using the correct terminology.
    10-21-2011 10:34 AM
    Clearly you knew what i meant. I apologize for not using the correct terminology.
    I wasn't criticizing, I honestly wasn't sure how you meant that. I was hoping for clarification.
    10-21-2011 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD