11-10-2011 09:23 PM
76 1234
tools
    lol
    @ericsckane
    looks like phil liked your quote
    Regarding the pre-emptive PenTile Galaxy Nexus bashing | Android Central
    It's going semi-viral on twitter right now. I retweeted Phil... and now my retweet is getting retweeted out the ying yang.

Pretty cool. Every time I refresh my twitter feed I have more hat tips, lol.

You the man ericsckane!! :-D

*customized tapatalk signature*
    10-21-2011 01:28 PM
    That's a fair point, Pepper. I just think a lot of that has to do with what you see on paper, though. If you match this phone up spec-wise, it may not blow the doors off the competition on paper. It may not be hands-down the best phone on paper when compared against the Razr, the iPhone 4S, or even the Galaxy S2.

With all that said, it may very well be the best phone based on how it performs. There is really no way as of right now to tell, but the inclusion of ICS and how it's optimized specifically to run on this phone isn't something you can put down on paper as a spec. It may be the very thing that differentiates it from the competition, though.

Unfortunately, in the world of wireless, everyone's "best" phone is their next. We'll just have to wait and see.
    10-21-2011 01:30 PM
    In a forum, the negative aspects of a device are always magnified.
    Sadly, I have to agree with this. While I think its important to not focus and ignore all the bad, it shouldn't be the focus. I could honestly care less about the bad talking, because I'll get it anyways. But when people aren't sure about a phone and want to see opinions, they shouldn't have to dig through piles and piles of negative threads and posts to see what the phone truly has to offer, and what its capable of.

Just my two cents
    RoYaLe42, oxymoron and zoomis like this.
    10-21-2011 01:31 PM
    Gotta play the Devil's advocate here, but people aren't complaining because it's not a great phone, they're complaining because it's not the Best Phone Ever.

Remember the Nexus One? That was an awesome phone! Google looked at the smartphone world and said "Now, that's how you make a phone.". It was the best phone at the time, and it stayed at the top for a long time.

Now, remember when people were excited about the Nexus S, waiting for the first dual-core smartphone, and Google and Samsung served us an almost 6 month old hardware (Galaxy S) in a shinny "contour display"? Even though it was a great phone, people were pissed because it looked as if Google changed the Nexus brand from "leading the industry with the best phone ever" to "making a good phone".
    <soapbox>

And I agree, but I think the people that want the best phone ever are forgetting what the Nexus line is for. It's not (all) about the hardware, it's about Android. And it always has been.

Google wants the Nexus line to showcase the latest Android OS and the select hardware to compliment the OS.

Yes you are 100% correct, the Nexus One was a BIG jump above everything that was available at the time, but it needed to be. The Android OS needed that horsepower to run how Google wanted it to run. So Google made sure it had what it needed.

Jump to the Nexus S, it wasn't a huge hardware leap and yes, you are 100% correct again, it disappointed many people who were expecting that. But for not being a big jump my Nexus S is still by far faster than any phone out there even today. I pitted it against a Bionic and for general day to day use the Nexus S is still more responsive and quicker. That's saying something for a phone that's been out for almost a year.

Now we're at the Galaxy Nexus and yes, the specs seem to disappoint if you wanted the latest and greatest. But I can promise you in 1 year, it'll still be one of the fastest and best Android phones on the market and THAT is why I would buy one (if I didn't win one...Thanks AC!).

I'm a developer (not an Android developer) and I know first hand that great software can make good hardware run better much easier than great hardware can make software run better. That's why sensed, blured and touchwized up phones need the beefer specs, they are compensating for bloat that's bogging down the phone. The nexus line doesn't have that problem.

That's why spec comparison is inaccurate, you need to use the phone to judge what's better.
    </soapbox>
    10-21-2011 01:43 PM
    You have good and valid points, and I agree with them.

However I also don't think that peoples' negativity, especially die-hard Android users, are all that bad. If you watched the presentation/launch at Hong Kong, the presenters constantly mention that they heard the users and they listened (well mostly on Google's end anyway). I think complaining does have its uses since Google or Samsung hear their customers and they design better products as a result.

Yes, I agree the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone, but nitpicking will maybe affect the next Nexus/ICS design. If nobody gave feedback (positive or negative), the manufacturers will never know what consumers want. It'll be like when Apple tells the consumers that "This is what you want, and this is what you will buy!"

I understand some people's frustrations since in whatever product we buy (cars, phones, laptops) there will always be some thing(s) that will be a deal breaker for them and which will make them buy another product. I guess people are not looking for a perfect phone, but just a phone that is perfect for them. If that means that it has to have an SD card and they can live without the Exynos, then that's "perfect" for them. If that's a deal-breaker, then they go buy something else.

As for me, after waiting for the Galaxy Nexus specs to come out, I have chosen to upgrade my Nexus One to the Galaxy S2. It will be almost perfect for me. Then I'll hope and pray that my provider delivers ICS which will then make it perfect for me.

Go Android!
    10-21-2011 02:29 PM
    just for the fact that it is a nexus and will be first to updates is enough to make me get it. if verizon ever got the nexus s i would have gotten that even tho it did have the best specs. hardware is only half the phone, software is a pretty big part.
    oxymoron likes this.
    10-21-2011 02:34 PM
    I think we all need to start posting more positive things about our phones, not just ranting about negatives and things reserved for elitist jerks.
    Once HTC beats phones arrive I'm sure we'll get an onslaught of newly self appointed audiophiles to go along with the videophiles.
    I can't wait to have my 2007-gpu-wielding, sub-retina display, no sd slot having nexus device!
    Let me show you positive.

Look at the difference ios 5 made to the iPhone 4. Only software, nearly double the benchmarks in a lot of categories. Are we getting an over clocked version of that? So GPU is a mute point.

Retina displays are very nice but not as great for action like movies and games. While the difference is only slight so is the still pic comparison to super amoled. Beside who wants a tiny retina compared to a huge samoled?

SD slot still has a lot of rumors swirling around it. 32gb no SD and 16gb w/ SD slot for Max of 32gb. I think we can learn to live without it, iPhone users did. Don't see them whining anymore.
    10-21-2011 04:03 PM
    I think that's one of the main things to focus on, CynicX. When I heard Matias make that comment about people not loving Android, I think part of it was that we love the phones, but don't appreciate what the OS can do to the hardware. I remember when the iPhone 4S came out I was reading an article by Vincent Ngyuen on Slashgear and he was doing comparisons between the new 4S and the Galaxy S2. He kept deleting the cache and clearing browsing history on the Galaxy S2 as if to prove it was a fair fight, but either he was not aware or just choosing to ignore that the biggest difference there was that the iPhone was now running on an OS that utilized both its cores.

I think we're so conditioned as fans of Android to love the phones, but this time we can really love the OS because it's going to be the main difference in blowing away the competition and making our phones run smoother.
    10-21-2011 04:22 PM
    just for the fact that it is a nexus and will be first to updates is enough to make me get it. if verizon ever got the nexus s i would have gotten that even tho it did have the best specs. hardware is only half the phone, software is a pretty big part.
    Agreed. I feel the same.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    10-21-2011 04:25 PM
    While I was a bit upset finding out it was an OMAP 4460, think about it. We aren't going to have any content in the next year that even pushes these GPU's to their max. Infinitey Blade 1 ran on SGX535 which was about 20-30% slower than the 200mhz SGX540. Now we're at 384mhz SGX540 and although we are also at 1280x720 resolution now, it's not going to matter in the one year's time this phone will have before the next Nexus is out. I'm also ready to debate the pentile crap with anyone who wishes to once I have the device in hand or have seen it in person. with 315 PPI @ 1280x720, I'm sure it's going to be immensely better than the Nexus S screen @ 800x480. This goes hand in hand with the people who ONLY pay attention to MHZ on cpu/gpu's, MP on digital cameras and so forth.

Anyone who is an Android user bashing the screen or anything else doesn't really understand what they're complaining about, and it's shameful to begin with; stop it.
    10-21-2011 04:46 PM
    Couldn't have said it better myself, grindking. One day we'll live in a world where smart people will use smartphones and understand their worth. Until then, Apple will continue to get rich.
    10-21-2011 04:50 PM
    While I think its important to not focus and ignore all the bad, it shouldn't be the focus. I could honestly care less about the bad talking, because I'll get it anyways. But when people aren't sure about a phone and want to see opinions, they shouldn't have to dig through piles and piles of negative threads and posts to see what the phone truly has to offer, and what its capable of.

Just my two cents
    This is a solid point.

I remember reading the BB forums when the Tour was about to be released. Supposedly a solid device, yet I was afraid that I was buying a brick by the time I picked mine up.

It's natural to focus on shortcomings rather than the list of advances, I suppose, especially in a forum of 2%'ers.

I appreciate all the different perspectives and opinions...knowledge and learning are my primary objectives - choosing a smartphone is a bit of a commitment but ultimately it's a tool. Just need to make sure is meets your greatest needs.
    10-21-2011 04:50 PM
    Completely unrelated, but after reading some of the stuff on here and realizing who is who, I've come to one conclusion; I need to come up with a different moniker. My name+the first two letters of my middle name pales in comparison to both being black_man and Panda, which is probably the coolest combination I've ever heard. I'm up for suggestions. Haha.
    10-21-2011 05:06 PM
    I haven't seen anyone say yet if the Galaxy Nexus has a notification LED?????? This is what has kept me from ever buying Samsung. Does anyone know??
    10-21-2011 05:12 PM
    Yes, it does. It's actually pretty unique since it's at the bottom of the phone instead of the top.
    10-21-2011 05:13 PM
    You guys have a really good & valid points
    You are first people in a long time who actually have sense
    digitalslacker likes this.
    10-21-2011 05:21 PM
    I remember having this thread when the Nexus S came out. All I can say is haters gonna hate!
    10-21-2011 05:59 PM
    What the OP isn't seeing is this: Discrediting a viable alternative is a first step towards embracing a change.

iOS has the hearts and minds of the media. Upon the release of the 4S, the crowd was disappointed... but bought into it anyway. Upon the release of the GN and RAZR, there is now proof that that decision was unwise. The media can't be caught backing the wrong horse, right? Thus, the media comes to the rescue:

"The sky isn't falling! There's something wrong with those Androids! We'll find out for you."

Then out comes the negativity. All to save face and keep the status quo.

Unfortunately, the world has changed. The sky did fall and Apple's visionary is dead.

It is Android's turn to shine in the sun.
    10-21-2011 06:12 PM
    I'd like to add that constructive conversation about the specs IS beneficial. It's interesting, gives us something to talk about while we wait and I know personally I have learned a lot in the last few days about bits of the hardware that I didn't know before.

And, yes, it's also very important to point out any shortcomings that the phone may have. Samsung and Google do want and need our feedback. My point is simply that we should be sure they ARE shortcomings first. Until we have the phones in our hands they are just specs on a piece of paper.
    10-21-2011 06:36 PM
    The more I read about this thread, the more it upsets me. It upsets me for all the wrong reasons because I cannot understand how anyone can defend this phone when it could have been so much more. I constantly read links about how the Omap 4460 is better at certain things, but why da hell are they not using a mali400? That is still inexcusable. There is a reason why a lot of people are upset, and we are all upset about the same thing. We have never met in our life!! How can something so great upset so many strangers? Especially if its about the same damn thing?!? I will still check out this phone in person when it hits stores. If i'm blown away by it, I would buy it. If not I'll wait till Google decides to bring us a "real" phone with bleeding edge hardware from Samsung, not some off the shelf crap. What makes this phone any better than the Razr? They are almost identical hardware wise. I'll be damned if a motorola phone have the same performance potential as a phone with word Samsung on it.

Admit it, google cheaped out on the heart of this phone. My dream phone would be a epic 4g touch running ICS.

edit: I actually hope this phone becomes a flop for what they did with the hardware. It was a total slap to my face when I found out the specs. People were praying that there was 2 different hardware versions remember? I wonder why? This would hopefully have them not cut corners anymore when designing a phone... end rant.
    cordoni likes this.
    10-21-2011 10:18 PM
    Its comments like these that prove my point about negativity. Not that the Mali is a bad gpu (its extremely proficient), but you've probably read everywhere that because it and the Exynos aren't being used that this phone will be slow and that the SGSII is better. Do you honestly believe that if the Exynos and Mali, both at Samsungs disposal, were better options, they wouldn't have used them? You're looking too much at the hardware and not enough at how optimization of the OS makes it better.

When the time comes when the Epic 4G Touch gets ICS and if you happen to have one, refer back to this post so when my Galaxy Nexus outperforms it you can remember how stupid what you posted above sounded.
    10-21-2011 10:35 PM
    Its comments like these that prove my point about negativity. Not that the Mali is a bad gpu (its extremely proficient), but you've probably read everywhere that because it and the Exynos aren't being used that this phone will be slow and that the SGSII is better. Do you honestly believe that if the Exynos and Mali, both at Samsungs disposal, were better options, they wouldn't have used them? You're looking too much at the hardware and not enough at how optimization of the OS makes it better.

When the time comes when the Epic 4G Touch gets ICS and if you happen to have one, refer back to this post so when my Galaxy Nexus outperforms it you can remember how stupid what you posted above sounded.
    I will have to hold you up to you. I may not be a programer, but do you really think that Google chose this combination because they honestly thought it was the best? I mean didn't they just acquire moto mobility? Don't moto's historically favor Ti processors? Isn't all the new moto phones coming out with omap processors? I'm not the one to wear tin foil hats here but I'm not going to believe everything until i see it for myself.

Google used the first gen snap dragon as a reference chip right? Its suppose to be so great, then how come it got smoked by every other 1ghz processor?

When this phone's official processor was announced, I don't think i've a read single person say " yay a omap 4460 with a over clocked sgx540!, this combo will be unbeatable" The reactions are more "meh" or "WTF!?!?"

But when the time comes and if they both went side by side and the galaxy nexus hardware proves to be superior I will eat my own words and buy that phone. Believe me that I will not be a early adopter, I will not be feed crap because it came from Google, that makes me no different than being a blind Apple fanboy. I will have to wait and see what happens down the road.
    10-21-2011 10:49 PM
    Put it this way; if this combination of the OMAP 4460 and sgx540 running gingerbread went up against my Galaxy S2 (AT&T) with the exynos/mali, it wouldn't be a contest. The catalyst here is Android 4.0, but we can't put that on a spec sheet to prove hardware superiority. If you look at the SunSpider 9.1 and V8 benchmark tests on Google's site listing the ICS features and then match them against numbers on the same tests run for the iPhone 4S, the Nexus wins. By a lot.

Hardware isn't everything. Fall in love with Android; she won't break your heart.
    10-21-2011 11:00 PM
    Put it this way; if this combination of the OMAP 4460 and sgx540 running gingerbread went up against my Galaxy S2 (AT&T) with the exynos/mali, it wouldn't be a contest. The catalyst here is Android 4.0, but we can't put that on a spec sheet to prove hardware superiority. If you look at the SunSpider 9.1 and V8 benchmark tests on Google's site listing the ICS features and then match them against numbers on the same tests run for the iPhone 4S, the Nexus wins. By a lot.

Hardware isn't everything. Fall in love with Android; she won't break your heart.
    You must not be understanding me because I do not doubt the Galaxy Nexus on ICS would out perform the exynos GS 2 running gingerbread. But when we are running the same software, or the actual maximum that both of these hardware can get, I *feel* the mali gpu would win.

I'm a car guy so its like saying a Bugatti Veyron SS (hardware) is not a big deal because who can actually go 274mph? Well its good to know you can if the driver/road (software)is capable. You put that same driver on the same road with a Lamborghini Aventador and it will only do 217mph. Why restrict the hardware? This is why us original Galaxy S owners love our OG Galaxy S's because the stock software is horrendous but once you flash a rom, the hardware is a freaking beast. We always stand by the get the best hardware aval mantra because you can always improve software but you are stuck with hardware. Why limit yourself? Its all about the actual limit, sure its fast enough, but fast enough just seems like such a cop out don't you think?
    10-21-2011 11:11 PM
    Admit it, google cheaped out on the heart of this phone. My dream phone would be a epic 4g touch running ICS.
    Hold on, playa!

If the Playstation 3 did anything, it was to remind companies that ALL consumer electronics need to MAKE MONEY FROM THE INITIAL LAUNCH. To achieve that end AND highlight all that ICS can be, Google and Samsung decided to back off on the GPU. Yes, it is disappointing that they aren't willing to take a financial loss to gain a leadership position. But frankly, what is more disappointing:

* A badass hardware-focused Nexus at $900 that FLOPS
    * A hardware/software balanced Nexus that matches the price of the mid-tier 4S that COMPETES

I say the first case above is a TRUE disappointment.
    10-21-2011 11:14 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD