Too Much Negativity

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ever since they announced the Galaxy Nexus and ICS, there's just been this onslaught of negativity coming from both Apple-lovers and even Android-lovers. To avoid confusion, I'm firmly in the Android camp. It started with the issue of Verizon and its lack of announcing the Nexus. Then it was the lack of SD card space. Then it was this whole Pentile display thing. I guess I'm an optimist, but in stead of just being upset with this phone, I'm -excited- for this phone. Excited even though I use a SGSII which most seem to deem better for some reason. So for the sake of people who actually want this phone and aren't going to let the negativity ruin anything for them, I want to go over what I love about this new device.

First, Im actually looking forward to the added screen size. I test drove the Epic 4G Touch and loved the extra real estate. Now I use the AT&T version (only due to Sprints coverage in my area) and I'm looking forward to going back to that bigger display. A bigger display that will look much better by comparison (to the E4GT) because of the higher resolution. When it comes down to pentile, I'm not worried about it. I welcome it. This screen with pentile is a far cry from anything Moto puts out and if its going to improve my battery life, I'm glad for it.

Would having an SD card slot be better? Definitely. We all use our phones for different reasons and some need that higher storage space. I'm not exactly worried about it. I can get by with 32gb as I'm sure most can. There had to be a reason for its omission and in stead of being a skeptic, I'm going to assume it was for a good reason. If not, then this may be the first legitimate gripe with this phone. All phones have something missing.

Verizon Wireless...we've all had our issues with them. Billing, service, devices, launches, customer service. All can be said about Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. Just depends on where you live for most of those issues. I'm 100% sure this phone will go to Verizon (exclusivity aside; no idea about that). I'm also 100% sure that when it does, a large portion of you will buy one. Don't let these rumors get to you. Your resident guru, Panda, has said not to worry. The proof is all around you in Facebook posts, pictures, video promos, etc. Its coming and I know I'm grabbing one immediately.

And last but not least, I point to the specs. I started off believing if it wasn't Exynos 4212 it was going to suck. An outdated GPU along with the TI OMAP 4460? Sounds rough, right? Apple fans are probably pissing you off with their comments about it. You're probably pissed off about it yourself. You don't need to be. ICS was built around using the TI OMAP 4460. Utilizing both cores for the first time. The OMAP is also a better for the HD display. The GPU is used in millions of devices that run 3D games already making it much easier to develop for. This OS is optimized to use this processor and GPU so I'm not worried at all about it's performance. And the camera? Zero shutter lag is impressive. The shots they posted here are impressive. Don't let the MP wars confuse you. Its a nice camera.

All in all, I'm excited for this device. NFC, LTE, HD, 4.65 inch screen, and most importantly, Android 4.0.

wheezy276

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well said my friend. Everyone has their idea of a perfect phone - put this in your hand and I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet that everyone will find atleast ONE thing they don't like, with a ton of things they do love.
Hands-down, this phone will be the best android experience out when it arrives, make no mistake.

:)

W

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm firmly in the "Shut up and don't talk negatively about something until you've used it" Camp. I bet every single person in this forum will love the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out. To this day, people say the Nexus S is the fastest Android phone, because it's Pure Google. Then again, following with my Camp, we won't know for sure about the GN until it comes out haha

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, very well put.

Having your opinions and posting them in these forums is great, it's why they are here. We're all excited for this phone and that is awesome. But that excitement turns into concern when a rumor surfaces about a delay, or about a feature that doesn't meet some expectation.

Its important to remember that right now, we don't have all the answers. We haven't seen reviews, we haven't seen in-depth hands on. We're working off of the marketing material Google and Samsung gave us and rumor.
That's enough to guess and assume a few things but at the end of the day until we see the phone in real world conditions it's mostly speculation.

I'm not saying the conjecture and debate should stop, just take the conversation with a grain of salt until we have answers, then we can all freak out, or not.

my two cents!

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
A great post and my thoughts exactly. Haters come out at the release of every device. It's inevitable to hear complaints about how it's not using components that aren't even going to be released until 2012.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Android has been desperate for a software update to support the hardware. Now its here so even if its not the razors edge in tech I think we are on the verge of huge speed increases.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Android has been desperate for a software update to support the hardware. Now its here so even if its not the razors edge in tech I think we are on the verge of huge speed increases.

We'll see how much better it gets, but any tighter integration between the software and hardware is a plus. We have to keep in mind though that regardless of how much better things may get, they are still handheld computers, things will still get hung up every once in a while so there's no need to freak out if something doesn't respond on the first tap or swype.

FrankyV

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think we all need to start posting more positive things about our phones, not just ranting about negatives and things reserved for elitist jerks.
Once HTC beats phones arrive I'm sure we'll get an onslaught of newly self appointed audiophiles to go along with the videophiles.
I can't wait to have my 2007-gpu-wielding, sub-retina display, no sd slot having nexus device!

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ericsckane, good to know there are other people that "get it".

Agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, the loudest voice gets heard, and around here.... that's usually people that don't know/understand what they are speaking about.

That may be me as well on occasion, but if so I'm blissfully ignorant.

I read much more than I post.

*customized tapatalk signature*

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is that everyone wants something that does not exist, there is no such phone that has everything and to be honest why would there be? How is that beneficial to the company making it. They would not need to make another one for a few years and would lose money if they do not come out with another "better phone" in 9-12 months.

Why would a bubble gum company make a gum that lasted a month? Could they? Sure..would they? heck no. Also who knows what goes on behind the scenes with learning the demographics and what features are most needed in a phone for the majority of people who will buy the phone.

But when it comes down to it some people play lots of games, I play none. Some listen to lots of songs I listen to none (just Pandora) so my perfect phone is not the same as someone else's. Then people complain about the screen because in 6 months there will be a phone with a better screen yeah and 6 months after that another and another and another. I think some people will never buy a new phone out of fear of another one coming out too soon after that is better than theirs.

If it wasn't for the fact I have to get out of Sprint and their crap service to get on to Verizon a superior network I would buy the SGII but they do not have it on Verizon. I also like getting updates right away from Google so Nexus is attractive to me. ICS as well.

I am happy with my EVO but I think I am still on Gingebread and we all know they are phasing EVO out so no more updates probably. The app space sucks (350mb) so I have a few legit reasons to get a new phone and not because I need the coolest thing out there every few months.

Reactions: cdf3

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I didn't even realize the PenTile display discussion was a concern with this device. I have an AMOLED Incredible, which doesn't even come close to the pixel density of the Galaxy Nexus, and the screen still looks beautiful.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've just been surprised about how much people have trashed this phone. At it's core, it's Ice Cream Sandwich and we've all been waiting for that. In my eyes, it didn't disappoint. I'm a huge, huge fan of the Galaxy SII and even with the positives there, I can still find the positives in the Galaxy Nexus. I think one of the underlying points in what I said, though I didn't elaborate on, is what Matias said directly during the presentation. People don't -love- Android. All it took was one omission of an SD card slot and a pentile display and even the most rabid Android fans got extremely upset, completely overlooking the fact that it still will be the only phone in the near future that will run ICS. On the flipside, a lot of people -love- Apple. I personally don't know why, but they do, and they'll defend it to the death, right or wrong. It doesn't help when we're also helping them beat the life out of Android by complaining about it just as much, or more, than they do.

Fact is, this is going to be a badass phone. I'm going to hold it with pride next to someone who has an iPhone 4S and say without hesitation that it's better. Then I'll ask Siri and it will confirm it.

bhop42

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The problem is we are spoiled. Everybody's looking around the corner for the next greatest thing. An HD screen, brand new software, a 4460 processor, and you're going to pass this thing up, come on man! To everyone that is complaining about them using the TI 4460 over the Exynos, please read this article: Why the Galaxy Nexus uses OMAP instead of Exynos | ExtremeTech
Also, the new Galaxy S2 HD LTE doesn't even use the Exynos processor! There is a reason for this and it dam sure wasn't because it was on sale. Google worked with Samsung for months on this so why would Android pick the 4460 over the Exynos if the Exynos is such a beast? Again read the article.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Even if every specification of this device was better than every other phone released or announced, someone would ask why it didn't have Feature X. You can't please the world. I am buying this phone and I will keep it for two years and upgrade to the Nexus 2013. No skin and no bloat is worth it even without the bleeding edge tech. It helps that this phone will have an awesome screen, dual core, LTE and the camera quality is awesome. I have zero complaints about this device.

[tl/dr] Haters gonna hate.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Great post man. Can't wait for this phone to be released for a couple of reasons. The guys saying this phone will suck can leave, the folks with questions will have there answer, and so i can go about enjoying this forum again without having an argument about why a 5mp camera is ok.