Poll: Galaxy Nexus and the SD slot

Does the lack of a SD card in GNex make you not want to by it

• Total voters

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that I will use this much storage. Google Music, Pandora, Netflix, and Google Docs lets me store Video. I still have my unlimited data plan though.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The less of you that buy it because of this the more are available.

Also is there ever an SD slot on a Nexus device?

no...which is weird b/c you'd think---it being primarily touted as a Developer phone---they would want the phone to have the options/bells-whistles that other phones have & don't have yet (NFC Nexus S)

ivan a rom#AC

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not buying any phone without SD support. I use the SD to transfer pics and videos as well as music to and from my PC. If I want different songs or videos on my phone, I can pop in another SD with them preloaded from earlier. I don't really use SD for apps or anything like most people seem to do.

I can take pics with my phone, pop the micro SD in its adapter, and print the photos while I wait at Walmart. Do their photo machines even support data cables and mounting as a flash drive? I guess you'd have to upload them from the phone to Walmart's website and print them that way like Snapfish?

Idk about Wally world, but at target you can use Bluetooth or a USB cable.

kC_

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been hanging onto my old nexus one, and planning to get the new galaxy nexus, but no SD card is a huge disappointment, I tried Google music, but while driving or travelling found that streaming wasn't reliable so used the " make available offline" feature, which you need the storage space for.
In the end I just deleted my Google music account & purchased a 32gb SD card.
No SD card makes it like an apple device, and definatley considering waiting for a different handset now.
I was also an early purchaser of the Motorola xoom, and during the initial release, no SD card support, seriously limited the device.
Google/Samsung need to either make multiple versions of the galaxy nexus available (16/32/64 internal) or SD card.
Such a a shame for what could of been an awesome phone.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
U miss the point 16gb isn't all yours so after the phone gets its share u have roughly 10gb left. And 32gb you will have about 20gb. Some use are mobile 24/7 and don't have luxury to backup phone onto PC. And cloud storage is to time consuming

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea why they left it out of this phone or the Nexus S but it's not a deal breaker for me. The real question is since this is a dev phone how is a dev suppose to test apps stored on the SD card if they don't have access to the SD card.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
On Gingerbread and the Nexus S, the internal storage is divided up into various partitions, one of which acts as an SD card. The system makes no distinction aside from calling it "USB storage", otherwise it works and acts like an SD card.

Honeycomb did things a bit different, having a more unified storage (rather than a paltry 512MB/1GB available for system and apps, the whole storage seemed to count as one), so we'll see how ICS behaves... Probably more similar to HC.

As for me, I'll care about SD cards when manufacturers resume making them removable without having to take the battery out. So annoying, might as well just leave it in and consider it internal storage.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I voted yes because I want as much local storage as possible. I'd love to have 96GB. Using cloud is okay, I guess, but it's not as reliable as simply having it on the device itself.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
On Gingerbread and the Nexus S, the internal storage is divided up into various partitions, one of which acts as an SD card. The system makes no distinction aside from calling it "USB storage", otherwise it works and acts like an SD card.

Honeycomb did things a bit different, having a more unified storage (rather than a paltry 512MB/1GB available for system and apps, the whole storage seemed to count as one), so we'll see how ICS behaves... Probably more similar to HC.

As for me, I'll care about SD cards when manufacturers resume making them removable without having to take the battery out. So annoying, might as well just leave it in and consider it internal storage.
So exactly like they made it with the razr?

f3liC

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Like many have said before me, it's not a deal breaker. However, I'd like to see it have a microsd card slot. I like the cloud, but it doesn't mean i'll always use it.

I put a lot of music and videos on my phone. If I switch to placing a portion of my music on the cloud because I don't have enough space, that does not ensure that I will be able to listen to it whenever I want. What if I'm underground lets say in the train or just an area with poor reception? At least with sdcards, I can play it locally. Same with videos. Also, they'll probably charge for Music by Google soon which is something I don't want to pay for. In fact why would I want to pay for services to use "basic" features of a smartphone? At that point, what option would I have? Probably not much.

If everything is on the cloud, it would obviously mean it is streaming using data on the service provider. Most service providers have a 2gb limit now. When everything is pushed to the cloud, what good will it be if I'm already over on my data limit? There isn't always a wifi hotspot nearby. Plus by using data, it will only kill that battery that much faster. Why would I want that if I'm on the go all day?

Just because you don't use up the storage limit doesn't mean other people won't. As I read somewhere once, "If I wanted my options taken away, I would get an iPhone."

I am truly disappointed that there isn't a microsd card slot. It would've been a great device for a 2 year contract period (it still is great, just not as great). However with that said, I will most likely still end up buying the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar