Poll: Galaxy Nexus and the SD slot

Does the lack of a SD card in GNex make you not want to by it

• Total voters

ReiMei

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It's a terrible move on their part.

I would love to be able to purchase a 64 gig Sdhc card for my phone. I was thinking over the Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile as well.

;)

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Internal storage reads/writes faster then a sdcard. Therefor it does not matter to me at all, it's the same thing. I don't understand why everybody is so fired up about this. You can mount usb mass storage in recovery so no matter what you'll still be able to get or add data if something happens. I personally never will even think of using more then 16GB on a phone so I'm good no matter what. On a tablet, now that's a different story since it's more of a multimedia device IMO.

djwyman

May 12, 2011
Visit site
well seeing as how the only time I have taken out the sd card on my EVO was when I put the one from my previous phone in to it I have not touched it since and its only 8gb as apposed to 16 or 32 I don't see much reason I should need to remove my storage on my phone besides that like borgey401 said internal storage reads and writes faster.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The poll doesn't have enough options - if I can get a version with 32gb (or even better, 64gb) of internal storage then I don't care. If they try to sell me one with 16gb of internal storage and no SD slot I'll be annoyed.

Mannysaurus

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have only 6GB of data used up on the microSD of my OG Droid. Most of that has to do with ROMs and back-ups. I'm pretty sure that 16GB is more than enough for me. I won't be torrenting movies and putting them on my phone since I have Netflix so storage is not a critical buying point for me.

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I went through 5 stage of grief because of this
Denial - Everything is rumor, right? Googling... No SD, ignore.... Googling... No SD, ignore... Googling... SD, hope!
Anger - Then I saw the full hands-on videos and picture. WTH/F/D?!!
Bargaining - Should I buy it? If I buy it, I will have to back up on my computer. I cannot reuse my current SD & its content. If I don't, I don't get to use ICS first hand but tons of bloatware....
Depression - Maybe I should go with RAZR... Google... WHY!!!
Acceptance - Well, I can live with backing up on my computer. I can live with transfer content from my old SD to computer to GN. Whatever. It's sleek and cool, and definitely a step up from Droid 1.

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not buying any phone without SD support. I use the SD to transfer pics and videos as well as music to and from my PC. If I want different songs or videos on my phone, I can pop in another SD with them preloaded from earlier. I don't really use SD for apps or anything like most people seem to do.

I can take pics with my phone, pop the micro SD in its adapter, and print the photos while I wait at Walmart. Do their photo machines even support data cables and mounting as a flash drive? I guess you'd have to upload them from the phone to Walmart's website and print them that way like Snapfish?

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Voted yes, because it will be a factor. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, though. But WHY?!?!? Just put an SD slot, even if no one uses it!

TProfit

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I went through 5 stage of grief because of this
Denial - Everything is rumor, right? Googling... No SD, ignore.... Googling... No SD, ignore... Googling... SD, hope!
Anger - Then I saw the full hands-on videos and picture. WTH/F/D?!!
Bargaining - Should I buy it? If I buy it, I will have to back up on my computer. I cannot reuse my current SD & its content. If I don't, I don't get to use ICS first hand but tons of bloatware....
Depression - Maybe I should go with RAZR... Google... WHY!!!
Acceptance - Well, I can live with backing up on my computer. I can live with transfer content from my old SD to computer to GN. Whatever. It's sleek and cool, and definitely a step up from Droid 1.

HAHAHA this was too funny. In part because this is exactly what I did!

CAPete

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
@gnipeh: your 5 stages sound familiar! Except for the last on (acceptance). Not there yet.

I was very disappointed so see the final SD answer is "no". NFC "beam" would be great (unclear whether the S2 has it or not) -- but I use my removable SD for backups when traveling (so the backup is NOT lost if the phone is lost) and for sensitive data I might want, but not resident on the phone. The cloud is not always available, nor fully trustworthy IMO.

Is there a way to use a USB flash drive as a workaround? Clumsy though.

NegativeBeef

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The hardware spec on the Nexus is utterly disappointing. They basically pulled an iPhone 4s on us. I've already wasted my time waiting for the iPhone 4s and now I've wasted my time waiting for the Nexus.

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
@gnipeh: your 5 stages sound familiar! Except for the last on (acceptance). Not there yet.

I was very disappointed so see the final SD answer is "no". NFC "beam" would be great (unclear whether the S2 has it or not) -- but I use my removable SD for backups when traveling (so the backup is NOT lost if the phone is lost) and for sensitive data I might want, but not resident on the phone. The cloud is not always available, nor fully trustworthy IMO.

Is there a way to use a USB flash drive as a workaround? Clumsy though.

I don't think you can use your phone as a host for a USB drive / external hard drive. Correct me if I am wrong (which I desperately hope so), but mobile OS development teams don't seem to like that idea.

But as far as I know, you can encrypt your phone's data (see below), and back it up when you get to a stationary machine.
Ice Cream Sandwich makes tough security taste better | The Download Blog - Download.com

I am also quite sure there will be external hard drives, which support "beam" file transfer in near future.

ccjjr59

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can use your phone as a host for a USB drive / external hard drive. Correct me if I am wrong (which I desperately hope so), but mobile OS development teams don't seem to like that idea.

But as far as I know, you can encrypt your phone's data (see below), and back it up when you get to a stationary machine.
Ice Cream Sandwich makes tough security taste better | The Download Blog - Download.com

I am also quite sure there will be external hard drives, which support "beam" file transfer in near future.

Samsung Galaxy S2 USB OTG demo - YouTube

Just hope it also works on the GN

Last edited:

rogercoda

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind it if the 32Gb version was widely available, but they seem to only be making the 16Gb version available at the moment, which is not enough for all my music (even with Google Music), and I definitely wouldn't be able to store movies or tv shows on it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad