Headphone Jack

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can see the pros and cons for both. It will be really nice to have it on the bottom for when I have my phone in my pockets, or if its just laying on a desk at work. But it won't be nice when I plug it into my car and try to put in in a cup holder. In any event, it isn't going to make or break my experience with this phone so I'm not going to worry much about it.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I can see the pros and cons for both. It will be really nice to have it on the bottom for when I have my phone in my pockets, or if its just laying on a desk at work. But it won't be nice when I plug it into my car and try to put in in a cup holder. In any event, it isn't going to make or break my experience with this phone so I'm not going to worry much about it.

(emphasis mine)

This is exactly what I use mine for. I rarely use mine with headphones; only for AUX input in the car. But I agree, having it at the bottom won't break my experience with it. Even better is if the screen flips when it's upside down, then it won't even matter :)

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Gonna share something I have seen thus far.. I listen to google music in the car (aux port) and having the device headphone jack at the bottom places lots of strain if you place it like that.. I do not like that design choice but it was due to the way the device is constructed. Lots of people will not even understand the screen rotation feature but I see alot of damaged and failed headphone jacks in the future as i have replaced a unit myself due to that.. and i know better..

just a heads up..

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Gonna share something I have seen thus far.. I listen to google music in the car (aux port) and having the device headphone jack at the bottom places lots of strain if you place it like that.. I do not like that design choice but it was due to the way the device is constructed. Lots of people will not even understand the screen rotation feature but I see alot of damaged and failed headphone jacks in the future as i have replaced a unit myself due to that.. and i know better..

just a heads up..

The strain that you're talking about is from when the device sits on the aux plug in the phone?

I use one of these things in my car: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014S5FVQ/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details Would that get around putting strain on the headphone port?

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Is it unacceptable to put the phone upside-down in the cup-holder? I mean, either turn off auto-rotate and set it in there, or pull it out and turn it over to change tracks and such.

Personally I'm far happier having the jack on the bottom because it makes it that much easier to just put the phone in a pocket and be able to control it quickly. As opposed to using my OG Droid, and putting it "right-side-up" into my pocket.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Best spot for all jacks IMO. Keeps it a little cleaner. Plus when listening to music when I work, top is always down, so it is easier to take in and out of my pocket. Definite plus!!!

Can't wait for this bad boy to come out. Hopefully not too long for ATT

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is it unacceptable to put the phone upside-down in the cup-holder? I mean, either turn off auto-rotate and set it in there, or pull it out and turn it over to change tracks and such.

Personally I'm far happier having the jack on the bottom because it makes it that much easier to just put the phone in a pocket and be able to control it quickly. As opposed to using my OG Droid, and putting it "right-side-up" into my pocket.

They both have their perks. I'm super okay with it on the bottom, its better for my daily use of music and whatnot. But I can see why people wouldn't like it on the bottom.

Still, putting my phone top down now wont get lint stuck in it, and I'm okay with this.

Sent from an app that you can probably guess.

Pr3mier

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't Samsung have a car dock for the GN? I think I saw it online somewhere. It has both a micro usb jack and 3.5mm headphone jack so you can charge and play music if your car has an AUX port. This is what I plan on doing.
As for working out, hopefully the display can rotate upside down.

NVM: It was a desktop dock I saw...

Last edited:

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you kidding? That's exactly where a headphone jack ought to be. If the headphone jack is on the bottom, that means it will be pointing upward when it's in your pocket. And if the phone is sitting on a desk in front of you, or in your hand, it means the headphone jack will be pointing toward you. Basically, it ensures that the headphone jack will be closest to your head, which is where it ought to be. It means they paid attention to usability when they designed the hardware.

I'm glad to hear they got it right!

That awkward moment when the headphone jack is on the bottom of your phone and isn't closer to your head than it would be if it were on top, lulz.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Say you're listening and the phone is on the table. Because the headphone jack is on the bottom, when the phone is laying down flat you can still read the phone and use it. The headphone jack is a good 4 inches closer since it doesn't have to cross over the phone. Granted, it could be that way no matter what depending on how you hold the phone, but assuming the screen won't rotate 270 degrees, this is the best setup.

Is that good?
That awkward moment where I actually know what's going on.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Say you're listening and the phone is on the table. Because the headphone jack is on the bottom, when the phone is laying down flat you can still read the phone and use it. The headphone jack is a good 4 inches closer since it doesn't have to cross over the phone. Granted, it could be that way no matter what depending on how you hold the phone, but assuming the screen won't rotate 270 degrees, this is the best setup.

Is that good?
That awkward moment where I actually know what's going on.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

That awkward moment when somebody gives you an example of something that couldn't have less to do with what you said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC