Transferring app data

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus is going to be my second Android phone, which means this is the first time I'll be faced with the task of transferring app data from my old phone to the new one. I'll reinstall most everything from the Market, but there are some cases where I'm going to want to preserve app data (I'd hate for all of that time spent on Angry Birds to go to waste).

In the case of the GN, this is further complicated by the absence of a removable SD card slot. So I just wanted to make sure I know how this is going to work. Not that anybody knows for sure yet, but in theory.

I assume the GN will have some part of its internal storage that acts like an SD card, meaning that it's accessible by non-root apps and writeable via USB. Assuming that's the case, I'm thinking all I'd need to do is copy my Titanium Backup folder from my old SD card to my computer, and then from the computer to the Nexus via USB. Then fire up Titanium Backup, and it should magically see all of the backup data; after that restoring should be the same as ever.

Does that sound like a reasonable scenario? Or am I missing something?

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Problem you might have is that your changing from os 2.3 to 4.0. I have no idea if that matters or not with Titanium Back. If it works you could also just use have Titanium back up to your DropBox account.

Natalieann75

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just planned on saving the SD card to the computer, then transfer it over like nothing happened.
Does that work?? Will everything just find its way to where it's meant to go? I've been looking for an answer to this everywhere because I have a GN on pre order... but sooo much data on my current sd card. I don't have Titanium backup or anything because I'm a still a bit of a novice despite working my GalaxyS into the ground with customisation.. so I wait with interest to see the responses here :)

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Does that work?? Will everything just find its way to where it's meant to go? I've been looking for an answer to this everywhere because I have a GN on pre order... but sooo much data on my current sd card. I don't have Titanium backup or anything because I'm a still a bit of a novice despite working my GalaxyS into the ground with customisation.. so I wait with interest to see the responses here :)

Thats how I switched between SD cards, so in theory it should work the same. All I did was just copy the SD card file for file into a specific folder on my machine, then pasted it on to the new one. Except now it will just be the phones internal, not a new SD :) If is sounds kind of weird and not very plausible, I'll try it out first for ya :cool:

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Problem you might have is that your changing from os 2.3 to 4.0. I have no idea if that matters or not with Titanium Back. If it works you could also just use have Titanium back up to your DropBox account.

If you're only backup up data for apps, I don't see why it would care what OS you are on. The app itself isn't changing. I had no issues with restoring apps backed up on 2.2 to 2.3.

As far as the sd card copying stuff, I was having some issues with mine awhile ago, so I just copied it to my PC, reformatted the sd card, then copied everything back, and the phone never seemed to know that anything changed.

Natalieann75

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Thats how I switched between SD cards, so in theory it should work the same. All I did was just copy the SD card file for file into a specific folder on my machine, then pasted it on to the new one. Except now it will just be the phones internal, not a new SD :) If is sounds kind of weird and not very plausible, I'll try it out first for ya :cool:
Excellent! No doubt I will be waiting longer that anyone given I am in Aus and its coming from the UK so please do and let me know how it turns out!! :)

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
When switching from one Tbolt (warranty) to another I used the exact same SD card, changed nothing and a few games such as Robo Definse never missed a beat. However games such as Angry Birds and Paradise Island did NOT transfer over. They were both installed on the SD card and not the phone. So I am already planning on losing a lot of app data with a non rooted phone.

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Everything transferred over beautifully for me in the end. Just a copy and paste. No data lost :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
So you just copied the root of your SD to your computer and then pasted it right to your nexus int. storage and all game data was saved? I was actually just thinking about how to do this today. And I was going to do it the way the op brought up, but didn't feel like rooting immediately.

Natalieann75

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So you just copied the root of your SD to your computer and then pasted it right to your nexus int. storage and all game data was saved? I was actually just thinking about how to do this today. And I was going to do it the way the op brought up, but didn't feel like rooting immediately.

Yeah basically. I was a bit selective about what I brought over but I pretty well just plugged in my SGS, navigated to the SD card and chose the app data I wanted to move. For example I've got about a years worth of data stored for Easy Money and also a journal app that I use. I just grabbed the backup folders and dumped them onto the Nexus... when I installed the applications to the Nexus it found everything with no issues..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae