How competitive is GNex...

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the link on hand but the camera on the GN is rumored to be better than the Rezound.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

If you know anythig about cameras, megapixels don't matter until ou blow the picture up. I've heard that the sensor Samsung used is amazing on the nexus

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

SteveIowa

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Either miss the SD slot/card / 8MP camera, miss SAMOLED, or miss the ability of removing the battery. Umm, did we think we would ever have such a problem choosing? L o l :) This is Great! The removable battery for me, is a prime consideration. So is SAMOLED. I Love HTC's weight, build, support, Sense, etc. So . . . . . . It's still Nexus for me! I have the Tab 10.1 Google I/O, so I am ready for more button less, vanilla Goodness, in a curved format. The SD card slot may bother me for a while? Will see. Can anyone confirm a 32GB version at launch? Link?

added: Now do I see in a Rezound unboxing video, that it has powermat charging capabilities? Could this decision get any harder? -- And whats the lowdown on NFC here folks? HTC has also reinforced today, it will get ICS.

Last edited:

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Even in terms of specs the gnex is competitive, the clock frequency of the rezound may be higher, but the s3 uses the old cortex a8 cpus vs the omap's cortex a9 cpus so the clock speeds are not directly comparable. The clock speed of the gnex and the razr might be the same but the razr gets there through overclocking and the gnex gets there through underclocking so the gnex should have more overclocking headroom, additionally the gpu in the gnex is clocked almost twice as fast as the gpu in the razr.

As far as screens go I prefer SAMOLED over SLCD so the better screen is between the razr and gnex and the gnex has a higher resolution, even with pentile I expect it will be sharper then the razr's screen, plus qHD will likely never see a high level of support as most devs will go from wvga to 720.

Styling is pretty subjective but for what it's worth I like the gnex's design better than the others. As far as build quality they are all plastic (kevlar is plastic fibers in a plastic resin) so they should all feel similar in the hand.

The razr and gnex have about the same sized battery but that doesn't tell us much the big question will be how power hungry the radios will be.

And now for the big difference, the gnex ships with ics and will be the first phone to get 4.x and will be the second phone to get 5.0 this time next year. The others are promised ics, but after how long? They may get the next release but they will most likely never see 5.0 outside of custom roms.

Absolutely perfect answer. Couldn't have said it better.

SteveIowa

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
But I like to look at my pictures on my 55" Big screen TV, with HDMI out. So I have to say, I like the look of 8MP pic's, over smaller versions.

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
But I like to look at my pictures on my 55" Big screen TV, with HDMI out. So I have to say, I like the look of 8MP pic's, over smaller versions.
1080p HDTV resolution is 1920x1080, or 2MP. You won't notice any difference between 5MP and 8MP on your TV, unless you are zooming in a lot.

Reactions: ottscay

whoster69

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
The GNex is the only one of them that I am interested in. Yes it would be nice to have a sim card, and frankly I'd like it bigger which is why I may wait for the GNote if we get some news on it coming soon to Verizon (which I doubt).

The RAZR doesn't have a removeable battery. That is a deal killer for me. The Resound just doesn't appeal to me (the whole audio thing). Neither are big enough.

I hope that the on screen buttons on the Gnex don't make the screen actually more like 4.3".

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I am one of the biggest HTC/SPRINT fanboy supporter there is and I like this Rezound from a spec standpoint just not design. I owned the EVO 4G from June 4th 2010 to June 24th 2011 and currently own the EVO 3D on sprint. I will be also adding the Galaxy Nexus to my stable of devices to go along with my EVO 3D. The best 2 devices you can have.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
And now for the big difference, the gnex ships with ics and will be the first phone to get 4.x and will be the second phone to get 5.0 this time next year. The others are promised ics, but after how long? They may get the next release but they will most likely never see 5.0 outside of custom roms.

Actually, Google has been on a six months cycle for Full releases. Next year's Nexus might be Key-lime Pie Android 6.0. Eclair had the Nexus One, Froyo did not get its own Nexus, Gingerbread had the Nexus S, Honeycomb did not have a Nexus or a phone, and Ice Cream Sandwich has the Galaxy Nexus.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, Google has been on a six months cycle for Full releases. Next year's Nexus might be Key-lime Pie Android 6.0. Eclair had the Nexus One, Froyo did not get its own Nexus, Gingerbread had the Nexus S, Honeycomb did not have a Nexus or a phone, and Ice Cream Sandwich has the Galaxy Nexus.

Google last year announced they would slow down to yearly releases because the pace was too quickly, and now that there were more features they didn't need to release so often to get the features out there (or, uhm, to confuse the OEMs and Carriers into making updates all the time? lol)

either way, if you look at 2010-2011, you can see it's going on a yearly release cycle... with a small caveat

2010: roughly every 6 months
January 2010: ?clair (2.1) released with Nexus One
June 2010: Froyo (2.2) released
December 2010: Gingerbread (2.3) released

2011: A year later, ICS is released:
November 2011: ICS (4.0) released.

The caveat I mentioned is that they did get Honeycomb (3.0, 3.1 and 3.2) out in , say, February/May/August (don't remember the exact dates), but that was a completely different branch and not the phone branch.

Here's to hoping now Google will stick to the yearly release cycle. Maybe it'll give OEMs and carriers more breathing room... maybe. I'm an optimist ;)

Reactions: obi5683

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Google last year announced they would slow down to yearly releases because the pace was too quickly, and now that there were more features they didn't need to release so often to get the features out there (or, uhm, to confuse the OEMs and Carriers into making updates all the time? lol)

either way, if you look at 2010-2011, you can see it's going on a yearly release cycle... with a small caveat

2010: roughly every 6 months
January 2010: ?clair (2.1) released with Nexus One
June 2010: Froyo (2.2) released
December 2010: Gingerbread (2.3) released

2011: A year later, ICS is released:
November 2011: ICS (4.0) released.

The caveat I mentioned is that they did get Honeycomb (3.0, 3.1 and 3.2) out in , say, February/May/August (don't remember the exact dates), but that was a completely different branch and not the phone branch.

Here's to hoping now Google will stick to the yearly release cycle. Maybe it'll give OEMs and carriers more breathing room... maybe. I'm an optimist ;)

considering 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 aren't visually that different yet still is apparently a pain for carriers/manufactuers to update, I have no faith in anyone but the Big G. I hope this phone makes it to the other carriers and in the future, there are more nexus devices on all. This is the first time the nexus and I are on the same carrier. I'd like to know that if Verizon took away my unlimited data I could leave. Its one policy I don't like verizon changing. I hope this double data deal is a hint that they are taking the negative feedback serious.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I believe they said a 6-month release schedule, down from the 3 releases a year in 2009 and 2010, so around google io we should see 4.5 or whatever and then 5.0 next october/november

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well any one that has owned a Motorola android device from vzw he is very helpful and provided plenty of leaks and root methods for our phones.he's posted pictures screen shots of this apps he's posted thinness of phone. He's shown the memory break down on both 16 &32gb that right there shows there may be a 16gb version. Both his phones are developer phones not stock phones. Yes there 4g..
Who cares what he says. He's about as trustworthy as a block of moldy cheese.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk