Galaxy Nexus vs SGS2 with ICS

coloneljames

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
so, long time listener - first time caller

i've been rocking a day-one pre, but now it's time to move on. early on the internal debate has been iphone4s or gnex. i think i've finally decided on a gnex. but i'm not sure i'm convinced about the gnex hardware. i'm wondering if i should get a gsII and root it for ICS. i feel like the gsII has better hardware, particularly the camera. i know gnex has the fastest shutter speed, but i'm not running shutter speed races. i want quality photos.

thoughts, concerns, ideas?

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how the GS II compares. The GNex has the bigger, higher resolution screen, dual core, ICS, bigger battery (in all honesty probably negated by larger screen). MP mean nothing.

Sent from my DROIDX running SSM-602 V3 using Tapatalk

iastonish

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how the GS II compares. The GNex has the bigger, higher resolution screen, dual core, ICS, bigger battery (in all honesty probably negated by larger screen). MP mean nothing.

Not everyone likes the bigger screen, sg2 size is more appealing to some, and the sg2 is dual core as well.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why people use dual-core as a comparison for Galaxy Nexus being better. And saying dual-core just states the fact. You might as well include volume rocker, plastic, radio, screen, speaker, microusb.

SGS2 also has a dual-core processor and its no slouch, and will probably go down as the best dual core processor for a mobile device of 2011.

Also keep in mind that even though its a 4.65 inch screen, alot of of the screen is saved towards the software buttons so you're screen after removing that portion is only 4.3 inches (the same as the galaxy s2). You only get that extra screen luxury during video playback.

coloneljames

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
was really set on gnex, but this volume issue has given me some pause. but it's all for naught until they release the damn thing here in the states. *checks watch, taps foot impatiently*

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why people use dual-core as a comparison for Galaxy Nexus being better. And saying dual-core just states the fact. You might as well include volume rocker, plastic, radio, screen, speaker, microusb.

SGS2 also has a dual-core processor and its no slouch, and will probably go down as the best dual core processor for a mobile device of 2011.

Also keep in mind that even though its a 4.65 inch screen, alot of of the screen is saved towards the software buttons so you're screen after removing that portion is only 4.3 inches (the same as the galaxy s2). You only get that extra screen luxury during video playback.

Dual core means nothing if they are not utilized. Gingerbread does not fully utilize both cores. ICS is supposed to fully utilize both cores.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
that issue is only with GSM phones so you wont have to worry about it.

Actually, the problem is with international GSM phones when utilizing the 900 Mhz band. That's not used in the States except for DC for Diplomats. At least that is the consensus on the 90 page xda thread.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dual core means nothing if they are not utilized. Gingerbread does not fully utilize both cores. ICS is supposed to fully utilize both cores.

What makes you think the dual core OMAP4460 is truly utilized for ICS? Did google go on record and say that ICS was fully utilized for OMAP4460? It's just a dual core chip they chose and TI got the design win (that's what is called when a manufacturer chooses completing products). The Eynos on ICS will probably beat this the OMAP4460. Google chose to go with a PowerVR chipset for their reference device. That's what the Galaxy Nexus is...a reference device? There is a reason there is no SD card support and its barebones and google marginally makes updates, it wants the developers to start with their base ICS and move from there.

ICS may have better threading logic to handle multiple core (I highly doubt it based on the performance from a visual standpoint and the battery life). but SGS2 will get ICS which is why Dual core is a moot conversation. And even so, Exynos on SGS2 will probably out perform or equal the ICS OMAP4460.

For people who want to know the reason why to buy a galaxy nexus, its because you have to have Ice cream sandwich now. Everything in the galaxy nexus will come to phones next year, but galaxy nexus has alot of what people want right now...a clean google controlled ROM, Ice cream sandwich, 720p screen.

That is it. It won't have the better camera, it won't have the best processor of 2011 and it won't have all the nice custom features other manufacturers offers (also it won't have the horrid features other manufacturers put).

It's meant as your reference phone for developing. and as a added bonus, an enjoyable phone (or vice versa).

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Screen size is only marginal bigger, like 0.15" larger, except for the higher res. Both are dualcore, the Nexus cpu and gpu are better, but for practical usage as of now its only for bragging rights, you won't die from having to content with the cpu in the GSII.

Bigger battery yes, but from review and XDA impressions, people been complaining its shorter lived than the GSII.

My personal impressions from the photos that has been posted is the GSII takes nicer shots by a marginal amount and to me in this case, more MP does means something.

Also it have some RF shielding problems that effects the international GSM version of the phone, causing things like volume going to silence which causes missed calls. The problem persists even in its bootloader, which means its a hardware issue.

I am actually interested in the Nexus too, but two things needs to happen before I can put my GSII on ebay: Price drop, can't pay $800 for a phone. And for Samsung to fix the RF shielding problem, which mean one would need to wait for a revision batch (I am a bit paranoid I admit so I can see how this issue can be used as privacy exploit, what with the iPhone having capability to keylog what you type if put it next to your keyboard, and Google claiming to develop feature for phones to take in all kind of environmental queues).

I have no idea why you think the Galaxy Nexus having a superior GPU and CPU than the GS2. The CPU is a wash between the two, the GPU on the GS2 is better..... by a lot. This is why the GS2 runs so damn smooth even on gingerbread.

Also the battery on the Epic 4G Touch ( the sprint GS2 ) has a bigger battery than the Galaxy Nexus at 1800 mah.

coloneljames

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
the hardware v. software debate is a rage-er. regardless, i hope this gets resolved sooner rather than later. i want a new phone post-haste. been off contract for 6mos. have 2.5 year old phone. it's time...

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The gnex sucks people are going crazy about it only cause of ics, I personally don't like ics. If I wanted a pad experience I would buy a pad. pad interface on a phone is ugly and why would you even consider the iPhone 4s. Its only 1ghz dual core..

Piquedram

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The main question here is not if the sgs2 with ics will beat the nexus, of course it will. The main question is; are you willing to wait 3+ months for every update coming in the next 2 years, and do you want touchwiz on your phone?