HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This is a work in progress, and designed with Win 7 in mind, but most of the details will work for all computer OS's and both the GSM and CDMA model.

READ THIS FIRST
Warning. Danger Will Robinson. Ahead, there be dragons.
  • This will erase all data on your phone. Everything.
  • It also allows you to break anything you want, so be warned.
  • It's easy, but you have to follow instructions. If the instructions are too hard, maybe you shouldn't be unlocking the bootloader in the first place.

1. Install the Android SDK

• Go to the Android Developer site and download the Windows installer version. Choose the installer version to ensure you get the correct drivers installed.
  • Save the SDK to your desktop, right click it and choose to "Run as administrator".
  • Accept all the defaults and let the SDK install

2. Set your PATH variable
  • Click the Start button, right click Computer and select Properties.
  • In the window that opens, on the left, select "Advanced system settings".
  • In the next window that opens, near the bottom, select "Environment Variables".
  • Another window will open, in the bottom text box select "Path" and click the button labeled "Edit..."
  • You'll see a new dialog where you can enter text. Navigate to the end of the existing text, and enter the following exactly as written:
    Code:
    ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk
  • Click "OK" and the small dialog will close. Click "OK" in the Environment Variables window, and it will close, then click "OK" in the System Properties window and it will close. Also close the Control Panel window.

3. Download fastboot.exe for Windows
4. Boot your Galaxy Nexus to fastboot mode
  • Shut off the phone.
  • Press and hold both Volume Up and Volume Down, then press and hold Power.
  • When the phone reboots to fastboot mode. You'll see an Android robot with his front panel open. Check to see that the text below it starts with "FASTBOOT MODE" in red.

5. Connect to the computer and unlock bootloader
  • Now plug the Galaxy Nexus into your computer with the micro USB cable.
  • Let any drivers install.
  • Once finished, open the Windows command prompt (Start button>All Programs>Accessories) and enter the following:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  • You will see a screen that asks you if you want to unlock the bootloader, explains the pros and cons of unlocking it, and warns you that ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED. It means it.
  • Choose Yes to erase all data and unlock the bootloader.

Have fun and try not to break anything :)

cedrique2

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i dont seem to find where im supposed to enter the windows command prompt (Start button>All Programs>Accessories) can you please give me a clear way to go about doing this. im not that good with computers. im trying to unlock my SGN locked to 3 network.

Would you also give a detailed way on how to lock a bootloader please.

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Noob alert!! I'm thinking of toying with some development on the android platform with the GN. I'm a MS developer by trade, so I'm technical by nature. But all this android/java/linux stuff is a little foreign to me.

I'm planning to unlock the bootloader per these directions when I get my GN. But isn't this just the first step? Don't you need to root the GN to get all the cool benefits? How is root obtained after the bootloader is unlocked? Sorry for the noob questions, but the whole unlock -vs- root issue has confused me for some time.

Thanks!

-me

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Just like with the Nexus One, unlocking the bootloader enables root. At least I am pretty sure it does. I have not done it on my N1 because of the erasing everything factor. But I think I will do it on the GN before I "move in" to it.

aviduser

chocobunny

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Noob inc:

I only get the message waiting for device, but nothing happens on my device

EDIT:got it working with PDAnet

Last edited:

BroodjeBami

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there a chance that in the future there will be a way WITHOUT losing ALL of your data? If not, I'm gonna unlock right away. If there is, I'm gonna wait, cause I already got my Galaxy Nexus installed.. (I'm in Europe :))

aceball

May 5, 2010
Visit site
When you say erases all data, that doesnt mean the OS does it? Im so used to reformatting windows, so when I see wipe all data, I think of even the OS getting wiped out and having to reinstall it. Since there are no directions on what to do after you unlock, Im assuming you just start with a fresh, clean OS without personal data.

Sorry for the noob question, just dont want to get into a jam with my phone, since its actually more critical than taking my PC out of commission.

Thanks,
Aceball

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
When I unlock the bootloader -- will it stop the OTA update from happening? If it allows the update, will it be okay to go ahead and update? Or should the bootloader be locked down to install the OTA update?

anon(16269)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to clarify a few things for some people asking some questions about this process.

• To open a command prompt, hit the Windows Key (it's usually between Ctrl and Alt) + R. Then type in "cmd" without quotes and hit enter. Boom, there you go.
  • This process erases all data on the phone, meaning all apps and user info. After doing this it will be like you just got the phone again.
  • Unlocking the bootloader and rooting are different. Unlocking the bootloader is basically the first step to rooting, it paves the way for the superuser app and root privileges. As far as I know, there is no root method available for this phone yet. The good news is that you shouldn't have to wipe the data to get root after unlocking the bootloader.
  • I believe you will still be able to get OTA updates. OTA updates will disable root but keep the unlocked bootloader intact. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I usually unlock the bootloader, root, and go to a custom ROM so have little experience with OTA updates)

I hope this clarifies some things for those people that were a little confused!

Last edited:
Reactions: aceball

KarbonKopy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Odd when I change the Path to what was posted the SDK won't open anymore...if I change it back it will. Double checking the text now trying to figure it out.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Followed directions to a tee, but when I enter the code at the command prompt it says "waiting for device" and nothing happens. Any ideas? I hear the sound when I connect the phone, and drivers installed, so not sure where to go from here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie