HOW-TO OEM unlock the Galaxy Nexus

EVIL_JIMMY

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
When I type 'fastboot oem unlock' into command prompt, I just get this

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any tips?

jbizzle

May 26, 2010
Visit site

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any tips?

Make sure fastboot.exe, and adb are in the same folder (tools or platform tools), then open that folder. Highlight the address at the top of the folder and type cmd. then try the fastboot oem unlock

Reactions: EVIL_JIMMY

mattollom1014

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Any tips?

I was getting the same thing so I just manually pointed my command prompt to the C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools directory and ran it there. Of course now I'm stuck with the waiting on device message.

Reactions: EVIL_JIMMY

ggiedd

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok I am stuck. I ran the fastboot oem unlock, unlocked it and rebooted the phone. Now it keeps rebooting at the google screen. It showed unlocked but wouldnt go further. So I then locked it back, and its still stuck on google and reboots.

I did pull the battery too.

Help!

So after waiting, I put battery back in, went back into fastboot and unlocked again. this time it went past the google screen and went through the animation. Took a long time but eventually rebooted and showed unlocked still and then came up working. whew!

Last edited:

EVIL_JIMMY

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I was getting the same thing so I just manually pointed my command prompt to the C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools directory and ran it there. Of course now I'm stuck with the waiting on device message.

I've just done the same, and get the same waiting for device.....

zmenchhofer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
if you are getting "Waiting on device" then you do NOT have the correct ADB drivers installed... Install the drivers from the SDK location android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site
if you are getting "Waiting on device" then you do NOT have the correct ADB drivers installed... Install the drivers from the SDK location android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

This may be a stupid question but how do i install this folder?? i click on everything inside of it and nothing gives me the option to install. All your help is GREATLY appreciated :) cant wait to unlock this thing so i can finally start making it MY phone!!

n0apostrophe

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
When I enter the fastbook oem unlock into the command prompt, I get the following error

This application has failed to start because AdbWinApi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Any ideas?

zmenchhofer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I dont think yall should be rooting your phone if you are not able to fix these issues.

kichard - you need to install SDK Manager

n0apostrophe - you need to install the SDK tools / paltform-tools

jbizzle

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont think yall should be rooting your phone if you are not able to fix these issues.

kichard - you need to install SDK Manager

n0apostrophe - you need to install the SDK tools / paltform-tools

I have sdk manager installed with the google USB drivers....still waiting on device

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
i have no clue i there are to sdk for windows one says i need java oracle the other just dl a whole bunch of files. i remember on my xoom there was sdk with all files bunched in nicely so we didnt have to work sdk oh well guess its not for me. seems simple enough but its not

jbizzle

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My problem is that my device is recognized in the command prompt when I use "adb devices" only when it is on. When it is in fastboot it is not recognized. I remember having this problem with my incredible as well...

Headhunter

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the same waiting for device message and the phone doesn't show up correctly in the Devices section.

I do have the USB drivers packageinstalled in the SDK.

When I'm NOT in the Fastboot mode and I plug in the phone the driver loads and the phone shows fine.

When I AM in the Fastbootmode, the PC fails to load the driver. Shows up as "Android 1.0" in the Devices section. I can point to the folder where the drivers are but it still doesn't load them properly unless I have the phone connected and in the "regular mode"

WTF.....