08-19-2013 11:27 AM
30 12
tools
    In the status bar, my icon for data either shows H or 3G; does the H stand for HSPA, HSPA+, or both? I've seen some phones with H+ for HSPA+, and on my old captivate with custom roms, it said H for HSPA (because my phone wasn't hspa+ enabled, obviously). Can someone who lives in a definite HSPA+ area with HSPA+ speeds confirm with me if there's H for HSPA+? (There's HSPA+ in my area, but I was just wondering if something with my SIM card was picking up only HSPA)
    Thanks
    12-03-2011 05:04 PM
    I'm not sure what the theoretical speeds are supposed to be (I just switched from Verizon) But I'm consistently getting 7200kbps down and 1100kbps up on the Speedtest app.

In the network type it says Hspa on most of them and Hsdpa on a few.

I hope this answers the question and if anyone has some input on what that means in theory, please chime in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    12-05-2011 04:36 AM
    IM getting really slow speeds with my nexus on At&t and does the H suppose to light uo blue like the bars? cause mine doesn't!
    12-06-2011 09:36 PM
    I'm not sure about this either. I'm assuming that the H is for full H+, but its all a bit confusing up there when it comes to service and data.
    12-07-2011 09:09 AM
    IM getting really slow speeds with my nexus on At&t and does the H suppose to light uo blue like the bars? cause mine doesn't!
    I have the same issue! Yes the H SHOULD be blue as well as the bars. If you have noticed on other phones, like my previous Nexus S it was a green 3G just like the bars.

I spoke with a rep from T-Mo and they said they took note of the issue and will try to repair it. If it doesn't change in a day to call back. But they said it should be fixed in a few hours. Unfortunately that was almost 12 hours ago.
    12-13-2011 08:01 AM
    I'm not sure about this either. I'm assuming that the H is for full H+, but its all a bit confusing up there when it comes to service and data.
    As far as I know yes they H does stand for HSPA+
    12-13-2011 08:03 AM
    That's pretty weird that your captivate said it had an HSPA+ signal. Maybe that's why my GN is having problems. It thinks it's getting HSPA+ data, but really it's giving me speeds as slow as EDGE.

I live in NY and yes the H does mean HSPA+, my friend has the G2 which also showed the H, as well as the MyTouch 4G I have seen the same symbol.
    12-13-2011 08:07 AM
    The H is for both 3G and 4G. There is no icon to tell the difference.
    12-13-2011 05:04 PM
    The H is for both 3G and 4G. There is no icon to tell the difference.
    Actually there are 2 different symbols. There is a 3G symbol and an H (for HSPA+) My frequently switches from 3G to H.
    Unfortunately a rep from T-Mobile told me today that there is trouble in my area so I am not getting full 3G or HSPA+ data speeds. That is why neither symbol light up BLUE.
    12-13-2011 05:44 PM
    Actually there are 2 different symbols. There is a 3G symbol and an H (for HSPA+) My frequently switches from 3G to H.
    Unfortunately a rep from T-Mobile told me today that there is trouble in my area so I am not getting full 3G or HSPA+ data speeds. That is why neither symbol light up BLUE.
    You're right and I'm having that same issue.
    12-13-2011 06:29 PM
    You're right and I'm having that same issue.
    Crap why'd you have to say that! I hope this isn't an issue with the phone. I tested my previous, currently my gf's phone, Nexus S. And the 3G symbol was lit GREEN but I was getting the same results as far as data speeds. I guess I will wait til tomorrow or I will have to call Samsung and see if they can help. I guess I will also roam around NYC to see if I get any different results from other T-Mo Towers. If you are having this problem call T-Mobile right away and let them know.

If you need too here is the number I was given for Samsung (888) 987-4357.
    12-13-2011 07:47 PM
    Crap why'd you have to say that! I hope this isn't an issue with the phone. I tested my previous, currently my gf's phone, Nexus S. And the 3G symbol was lit GREEN but I was getting the same results as far as data speeds. I guess I will wait til tomorrow or I will have to call Samsung and see if they can help. I guess I will also roam around NYC to see if I get any different results from other T-Mo Towers. If you are having this problem call T-Mobile right away and let them know.

If you need too here is the number I was given for Samsung (888) 987-4357.
    I have T-Mobile also and the Nexus S wasn't HSPA+.
    12-13-2011 07:56 PM
    Yes I know they Nexus S wasn't HSPA+ but when I spoke to a T-Mo rep they wanted me to try another phone to test the data network in my area. And doing so my 3G data speed were horrendous. It was the same as when I was running the same test on my Galaxy Nexus.
    Try it yourself if you have another phone laying around HSPA+ or not. Run the test in your browser, go to dslreports.com/mspeed if you see kbits call T-Mobile and let them know your network tower sucks.
    12-13-2011 08:09 PM
    Speed test results

5.92 Mbps down
    1.69 Mbps up
    104 ms ping
    12-13-2011 11:31 PM
    I did one earlier got over 11000kbps down.
    12-14-2011 07:39 AM
    Speed test results

5.92 Mbps down
    1.69 Mbps up
    104 ms ping
    lol I wish. So far the fast was this morning

660 kbits/sec
    2.523s latency
    14.3s d/l time

yea I am definitely having a network problem here.
    12-14-2011 09:23 AM
    Is there anyone from the NY area who can confirm if they are also having data issues?

I'm too impatient to wait on T-Mobile to figure it out of fix it, if there is a problem with their tower. Samsung wasn't much help at all. I also went into a local T-Mobile store and I question? Why they hire dumb people. Their answer in the store was its an unlocked phone it won't work on T-Mobile.

Please anyone in the NY area could you run some tests and tell me what your results are. I have been using Speedtest.net and also the browser by going to dslreports.com/mspeed. It doesn't have to be done on a galaxy nexus, preferred, or any other T-Mobile 4G phone.
    12-14-2011 03:46 PM
    If you haven't done it, call AT&T and give them your IMEI.
    12-17-2011 08:02 PM
    If you haven't done it, call AT&T and give them your IMEI.
    When you call you provider(At&t/T-mobile) you have to give them a IMEI# thats from a 4g phone that they carry! There system won't recognize the Gnex imei# so it will automatically but you in the bottom tear of data speeds! That is edge data speeds!!
    FreakyLocz14 likes this.
    12-20-2011 02:01 AM
    When you call you provider(At&t/T-mobile) you have to give them a IMEI# thats from a 4g phone that they carry! There system won't recognize the Gnex imei# so it will automatically but you in the bottom tear of data speeds! That is edge data speeds!!
    not true. my local corp store scanned my imei number from my gnex, gave me a new sim and added me to the unlimted hspa+ data plan. I was presently on unlimted for iphone. I simply added the att us hspa apn

you should see billing code HSDPPB in OLAM

the only reason you see 3g instead of H in the status bar is because the gnex only uses hspa+ when actively pulling data. it took me a second to get the screen shot so it had switch hspa+ off by the time i snapped it. you will only see an H on the gnex not H+

12-20-2011 07:25 AM
    not true. my local corp store scanned my imei number from my gnex, gave me a new sim and added me to the unlimted hspa+ data plan. I was presently on unlimted for iphone. I simply added the att us hspa apn

you should see billing code HSDPPB in OLAM

the only reason you see 3g instead of H in the status bar is because the gnex only uses hspa+ when actively pulling data. it took me a second to get the screen shot so it had switch hspa+ off by the time i snapped it. you will only see an H on the gnex not H+

Click to view quoted image
    Can you post your APN settings! Those speeds you posted are the best ive seen!
    12-21-2011 08:31 PM
    Name: AT&T US HSDPA
    APN: phone
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: <not set>
    MMS Proxy: <not set>
    MMS port : <not set>
    MCC : 310
    MNC : 410
    authentication type : <not set>
    APN type : default,supl,agps,fota,dun

Name: AT&T US MMS
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS port : 80
    MCC : 310
    MNC : 410
    authentication type : <not set>
    APN type : mms
    12-22-2011 07:07 AM
    I am using a iPhone 4S now and waiting for my Galaxy Nexus in the mail (should be here tomorrow can't wait). I will see what the speeds are when I put the sim in from my iPhone. What iPhone did you come from?
    12-22-2011 09:55 AM
    Yesterday I could see the 4g icon next to signal strength icon, today I don't. Anyone know why?
    12-22-2011 05:06 PM
    I am using a iPhone 4S now and waiting for my Galaxy Nexus in the mail (should be here tomorrow can't wait). I will see what the speeds are when I put the sim in from my iPhone. What iPhone did you come from?
    Uh, your iPhone 4S SIM wont fit in the Nexus
    12-22-2011 06:49 PM
30 12