CDMA Killing the Nexus Idea?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
An interesting article on PCMag about why the Verizon Nexus may be delayed and how CDMA lets them get away with this:

The short version:

Concepts like the "Google experience" can only exist on GSM networks because only GSM requires carriers to accept phones they haven't approved for use. If you want to be called GSM, you have to take unlocked devices, as long as they comport with the GSM Association's standards and national rules.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The truth lies somewhere between Jerry's rah rah, and this guy's poo poo.

Two apps forced onto the phone does not kill the Nexus experience.
But one app forced off the phone MAY.

And removal of googe wallet may also violate the terms of the block c bandwidth licensees that Verizon obtained. This would bring the Federal Government down on their neck.

Phil and Jerry have been refusing to discuss this aspect, although it has been mentioned in mny posts in the forums as well as posts on the site. I believe this is the sole reason for the hangup in launching the nexus galaxy. The FCC and or the Doj is asking them why they are blocking google wallet just to put forth their own version. And google is probably pointing to the bandwidth licenses which mandate that Verizon can not restrict apps.

kchoadley

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The truth lies somewhere between Jerry's rah rah, and this guy's poo poo.

Two apps forced onto the phone does not kill the Nexus experience.
But one app forced off the phone MAY.

And removal of googe wallet may also violate the terms of the block c bandwidth licensees that Verizon obtained. This would bring the Federal Government down on their neck.

Phil and Jerry have been refusing to discuss this aspect, although it has been mentioned in mny posts in the forums as well as posts on the site. I believe this is the sole reason for the hangup in launching the nexus galaxy. The FCC and or the Doj is asking them why they are blocking google wallet just to put forth their own version. And google is probably pointing to the bandwidth licenses which mandate that Verizon can not restrict apps.

I don't know about Verizon restricting apps in the scenario you are bringing up. from what I understand Google has only put Wallet onto one phone (which happens to be a Nexus) on one carrier. It's especially the one carrier part here that leads me to believe this is not a "Google Experience" app (yet). I'm guessing it is still very beta, the whole thing with Wallet. Once it takes off, more phones have NFC, it can be used more places, and most importantly, Google puts the Wallet application on to the Market, then I can see this being a legitimate argument. Right now it doesn't sound like that is the case IMO.

I think the whole Google Wallet not on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus got blown way out of proportion for no good reason (yet) and should have come with more disclaimers that it isn't anything yet, but it might be.

Article on the matter here.

It seems like Google was totally fine with not putting it on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus when asked by Verizon, but I don't think it mattered much that Verizon said anything because the global GSM version doesn't have it either and Verizon has no say on that. This is Google making these decisions more so than Verizon, let's just hope this doesn't turn into a problem when Google is ready to take Wallet to prime time.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
If anything is killing the Nexus idea right now, in my opinion, its the exclusivity deals. Release the phone on all carriers at one, or at least in a very short span. Get that fixed first, then worry about the rest.

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
What's killing the Nexus idea, IMHO, is that Google isn't marketing the hell out of it. If Google were to do that - and build critical mass of devotees who would buy the new phone - they could dictate terms on the carriers to guarantee a reference-grade Google experience.

If the carrier has the power, then the Nexus brand simply becomes just another Android phone.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
What's killing the Nexus idea, IMHO, is that Google isn't marketing the hell out of it. If Google were to do that - and build critical mass of devotees who would buy the new phone - they could dictate terms on the carriers to guarantee a reference-grade Google experience.

If the carrier has the power, then the Nexus brand simply becomes just another Android phone.

I unfortunately don't think that will ever happen. If Google does that and puts all their weight behind it they will seriously hurt other Android sales. I think the Nexus will stay as a developer phone.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems like Google was totally fine with not putting it on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus when asked by Verizon, but I don't think it mattered much that Verizon said anything because the global GSM version doesn't have it either and Verizon has no say on that. This is Google making these decisions more so than Verizon, let's just hope this doesn't turn into a problem when Google is ready to take Wallet to prime time.

Im not so sure Google was totally fine with it. The statement was measured and carefully worded.
But you have to know that Google is deeply disappointed at being stabbed in the back with this demand to remove a key feature of the device, actually the only reason this device exists.

I suspect google is pissed enough to be talking to the fcc about violations of the conditions of Verizon's Block C 700mhz bandwidth leases.

Google bid on this same bandwidth simply to force the price high enough to trigger several conditions that requires the bidder to allow any device, allow any applications, requires roaming rights, and a couple other key provisions. Verizon challenged thes provisions after they won the bidding and a federal judge shut them down point blank.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2008_wireless_spectrum_auction

Then they turn around and violate terms as soon as they start using the 700 mhz bands.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

SchroederNexus

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people like android phones as is and don't want to tinker with it. Which is exactly why you see a million razr commercials every day and probably won't see a single on for the galaxy nexus

Reactions: crzycrkr

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people like android phones as is and don't want to tinker with it. Which is exactly why you see a million razr commercials every day and probably won't see a single on for the galaxy nexus

/\ /\ THIS!

Let's face it, the main draw of the GN is ICS, not the hardware. We can go back and forth all day about the various cameras, no removable/expandable storage, no removable battery, Sense, etc.

Most people off the street walk into Verizon and look at the Razr or Rezound or whatever ever and walk out with one of them. They don't really care about ICS or NFC or rooting.

What we all need to remember is that people that post here and other Android forums make up only a few percent of the total Android customer base. And look at how many have already purchased the Razr, Rezound, Atrix, GS2 or whatever.

The truth is that many people just don't care. They want a phone to text, Facebook and Tweet. If it works for those things it's good for them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Reactions: crzycrkr

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

In the time it took me to read this post, I have already seen two Google Galaxy Nexus advertisements on various web pages.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The truth is that many people just don't care. They want a phone to text, Facebook and Tweet. If it works for those things it's good for them.

That use to be true. Its not any more, and really hasn't been for a long time.

People don't buy a Lamborghini or even a Chevy Corvette JUST to commute to work. And nobody buys a smart phone JUST to make calls and send texts messages.

Now days, other than your mom, or teenage girls, most people understand that SMARTPHONES get updates and updates bring new things, new capabilities, and new features. Most are more than a little put off by the idea that they have to buy a new phone to get new features, because the carriers abandoned their model.

Even my non-tech wife has read enough about newer phones to know she was sick to death of her Captivate, and it had no possibility to get ICS. She went back to AT&T and got a new phone that most likely will get ICS next year.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
In the time it took me to read this post, I have already seen two Google Galaxy Nexus advertisements on various web pages.

You will see a lot more, because Google knows you are interested in the phone. Start researching steel toed work boots and you will see those ads pop up on your pages.

I think the OP was talking about print or tv ads.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I haven't seen any. Doesn't make much of a difference anyway. The GN will sell alright, but it won't be anything groundbreaking sales wise.