Galaxy Nexus Updates Controlled by Samsung not Google

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If im reading this right theres 5 Galaexy Nexus builds and onlyone is getting updates from google while the other 4 are getting the upgrades from samsung.

From XDA...

Builds
Google:
*yakju (vanilla)

Samsung:
*yakjuxw (?)
*yakjuux (Canada)
*yakjusc (DoCoMo?)
*yakjukr (SK Telecom, S. Korea)

If you thought that simply because you weren’t buying a Verizon-bloated Galaxy Nexus that you would be privy to a true Google Experience, guess again! As first noted by XDA forum member Luxferro, who discovered that his GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus‘s build.prop fingerprint didn’t quite match up to the expected, not every Galaxy Nexus is a Galaxy Nexus.
What is “Nexus?”
Let’s take a few steps back and figure out what’s going on. To do so, we must take a look at what a Nexus device is, and what the term has come to mean. According to Andy Rubin himself, a Nexus device is, “the pinnacle of what we can achieve when integrating Android onto a piece of hardware.” In other words, a Nexus device should represent Android done right, i.e. the absolute zenith of technology—in both software and hardware.
The mere existence of the Nexus program is a tacit admission by Google that although Android’s fundamental distribution model has lead to industry-leading platform adoption, carrier and OEM control is hardly ideal. Instead, Nexus gives Google a chance to “take back” their OS and show the world Android in its full glory.
Previous Nexus Devices
The Nexus line began with the HTC-built Nexus One, the phone which ushered in Android 2.1 ?clair. Barring a select few carrier-controlled versions, this device featured pure Google software in the majority of its configurations. The hardware was great, too—a Samsung-sourced AMOLED panel here, 512 MB of RAM and a 1 GHz Snapdragon SoC there. Just a few months later, Froyo came; and naturally, the Nexus One was the first phone to receive the JIT- and Flash-enabling goods.
Next up was the Samsung-built Nexus S, which brought the first taste of Android 2.3 Gingerbread to the masses 11 months and change after the arrival of the Nexus One. While not quite the latest in hardware—as the Samsung Hummingbird and Super-AMOLED panel had been seen in the Galaxy S roughly six months earlier—the software in the most markets was still controlled directly by Google. While not bearing the moniker “Nexus,” the Motorola XOOM, which delivered Android 3.0 Honeycomb for us on a Aluminum-backed platter, was also a Google-controlled device in its home turf.
Galaxy “Nexus”
When the Galaxy Nexus was officially unveiled on October 19th in Hong Kong, the hardware and software evoked a visceral lust many had not experienced before towards a phone. Packing a 720p Super-AMOLED HD display, a powerful dual-core OMAP4 SoC, a full GB of RAM, and—most importantly—Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich; the Galaxy Nexus was a show-stopper.
A Fly in the Ice Cream-Flavored Ointment
Unfortunately, not all is perfect in Android’s latest tasty treat. Reports quickly surfaced about how Verizon’s 4G LTE variant would feature both VZW branding and a short order of mild bloatware. Bloatware on a Nexus device? BLASPHEMY!
At least unlocked GSM owners were safe… Right? Wrong.
As quickly discovered by community members who failed to receive the 4.0.1 update, and subsequently weren’t able to perform a manually install, there are several software configurations of the GSM Galaxy Nexus. The true, Google-controlled version is yakju—the rest being Samsung-controlled variants, thereof. All carry the hardware code name maguro, so it is plausible that they can be flashed to yakju. However, according to Android software engineer Jean-Baptise Queru, it is unclear at this time whether this is actually possible.
yakjusc and yakjuxw are indeed the two Samsung-prepared builds I’m aware of at the moment, but I’m discovering them as they get released. I only have some visibility over the builds that are prepared by Google, i.e. yakju. Everything else comes from Samsung and I don’t know what their schedules and release plans are. I can’t guarantee that flashing the yakju files that I posted would work on a device that originally shipped with yakjuxw, as I don’t have access to such devices. The hardware is supposed to be close, but I don’t know for sure that it’s close enough. JBQ
Where Does This Leave Us?
All builds other than yakju are not controlled by Google themselves, leading to the very real possibilities of update delays and carrier- and/or OEM-installed bloatware. This doesn’t taste like “Nexus” anymore, does it? Since Nexus represents Google’s regain of platform control, anything other than unfettered Google is no longer Nexus.
To answer the question in the title, those lucky enough to own yakju devices can breathe a sigh of relief because they are able to enjoy a true, Google-controlled Galaxy Nexus. However, all other Galaxy Nexus owners better start getting familiar with fastboot and adb in order to get the unadulterated Android experience.
Leave your thoughts in the comments section below, or drop in to the discussion in the original thread.
Oh, and… SamSONg, I AM DISAPPOINT.
[Thanks to my fellow XDA Moderators xHausx and M_T_M for the tip!]

Is the Galaxy Nexus Still a “Nexus?” | xda-developers

Phil i guess your were wrong this nexus is indeed not a NEXUS!

Last edited:
Reactions: VickMackey#AC

BitGambit

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
This sucks big time. Why would they do this? Do they not realize that what people want is a pure android experience?? Why is it so hard to get that?

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Do they not realize that what people want is a pure android experience??

The majority of people with a phone running android os don't even know that's what it is or what exactly Android means, so I think the majority could care less.

trixnrice

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Do they not realize that what people want is a pure android experience??

The majority of people with a phone running android os don't even know that's what it is or what exactly Android means, so I think the majority could care less.

o_0 ...and those who purchase an unlocked gsm version(s) of the galaxy nexus most likely DO care. smh.

BitGambit

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the people who buy Nexus series of phones. They buy it for the latest Android software, and having delayed updates due to manufacture's greed or for whatever reason totally defeats that principle.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with that. So want does this article mean for the Verizon version? Is it updated by Samsung or Google? Perhaps I'm missing it but doesn't seem very clear.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Inside the build prop. What it looks like is Samsung did a fix for volume bug and sent a patch to phones this in turn took those phones off the official google update path so currently those phones can't update unless Samsung sends it or there is a big ota that incorporates both builds to get on same path.
I'm confused; where did the information that those other builds are updated by Samsung come from?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
They are all from google guys. If it has the nexus name on it, it's a google phone and google is the one that tells samsung to send the update out. There is no Touchwiz on the phone so samsung can't control when the updates go out. Samsung may have built the phone, but the software is in googles hands. Stop worrying, it's the same concept as the nexus s. Did they have problems with updates...nope!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Duh its not touchwiz where dealing with.its there are different ice cream sandwich builds some have pure google keys and some have Samsung keys which Samsung sent out a ota patch for volume bug.and now those nexus are currently of the pure google ics path till atleast the two can b merged
They are all from google guys. If it has the nexus name on it, it's a google phone and google is the one that tells samsung to send the update out. There is no Touchwiz on the phone so samsung can't control when the updates go out. Samsung may have built the phone, but the software is in googles hands. Stop worrying, it's the same concept as the nexus s. Did they have problems with updates...nope!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well dam. I hope this isn't as bad as it seems. My last two phones were Samsung.

You'll send your new born child off to college before Samsung updates their software.

Sent from my Blackberry Charge using Tapatalk.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if the days of a "true" Nexus phone are over. Sure there will still be Nexus phones but the manufacturers and carriers seem to have stepped in and taken over a bit.

Here's to hoping that all future Nexus phones will be Moto phones since they are now owned by Google. I never want to have to deal with another Sammy phone in my life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

if that's the case why did only 1 galaxy nexus (the Google build one) get 4.0.1 while the others ( Samsung builds) are still on 4.0 it may be a minor update but it's still an update that Google sent that only one build got and that's the Google build. And of you try to flash 4.0.1 on a Sammy build out won't let you.that doesn't sound like a pure google experience to me.

TroyBoy30

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i'm good

Screenshot_2011-12-12-07-50-54.png

if youre that worried about just flash over to the stock files

Last edited:

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Did they have problems with updates...nope!

well, they did have issues with the nexus s... the ATT update was pulled. sprint did get an update.

so, they might put them out there, but some they pull back for problems.

I'll wait to update my att a few weeks.

wpbfjr on the road

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz