Verizon Guy Talked Mom into iPhone 4S over Galaxy Nexus

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi - the Verizon guy talked my mom into the iPhone 4S but she hasn't bought yet. She will buy today.

I wanted her to get the same phone as me so that I can teach her how to use her phone (she is not tech savvy). I am deciding between the Razr and the Galaxy Nexus, both of which are too much phone for her since she won't be doing much internet or email with her phone but I thought if we had the same phone it would be easier for me to help her.

What she wants to do is to learn to text message, but she wants to be able to do it using her voice as simply as possible.

The Verizon guy owns the iPhone and said it is the simplest device to use between the 3 - iPhone 4S, Razr and Galaxy Nexus. My mom needs her phone to be as simple as possible. She just learned how to check email on a computer and use a search engine 2 months ago, but she still gets confused about that. She is 78 years old.

Do you think she should go with the Verizon guy's rec and get the iPhone 4S?

smitty24

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4 would be better for a 78 yr old than a Nexus would. Hate to say, but the iphone is simple. Just giant 'buttons' for what you want to do. Almost childlike in its ease of use.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 4 would be better for a 78 yr old than a Nexus would. Hate to say, but the iphone is simple. Just giant 'buttons' for what you want to do. Almost childlike in its ease of use.

Ok, then it sounds like he was right. I just didn't want to learn how to use 2 phones because even if it is childlike in its ease of use, she will still need my help. Guess I will have to learn how to use 2 phones :(

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
There's no way in hell any 78 year old should be using Android. Unless her eyesight is perfect she needs a very basic OS with a huge screen. Just got my 77 year old grandfather an HTC Titan with a 4.7 inch screen and he loves it.

Reactions: stabbedintheface

smitty24

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, then it sounds like he was right. I just didn't want to learn how to use 2 phones because even if it is childlike in its ease of use, she will still need my help. Guess I will have to learn how to use 2 phones :(

The learning curve on the iPhone is waaaaay less than the Nexus. I guess it depends on what you are coming from too. But ask her - screen size alone is a huge factor for people too. The Nexus is huge compared to iPhones

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus is huge compared to iPhones

That is why I like the Nexus over the iPhone - I can't see well so huge is a plus for me. She can see better than I can so it is not as much of an issue for her. She gets confused and overwhelmed if something is complicated to use so the simpler the better for her.

wild style

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon guy is right. Trust me on this, you will be thanking him later. Convincing my Mom to get the Droid 3 over the iPhone was the biggest mistake I ever made. :-X

Reactions: CarryMe

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Even easier would be a basic phone with a slide out keyboard if shes just wants to text. thats what I got for my mom because she cant use a touch screen bc of her nails lol

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hate to say it, but I also agree with the Verizon guy.

Android is to PC as iOS is to a Mac.

Sure...the OS can do more. But the Mac is just simple and works out of the box

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I believe an iPhone is a better choice for your mom. The only advantage of the Nexus would be the larger screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I use both Android and iOS devices and while I prefer Android, the Verizon rep was making a good recommendation for your mother. iOS is easier to use for non-techies and if you find yourself stuck, just press the one button at the bottom. My dad is in his 70s and not a computer user, but he loves the iPad I got for him and even does email now. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(28010)

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My mom is 82 and has been using an iphone for two years, she absolutely loves it. She texts, emails, listens to music, even plays skeeball on it. It has given her mind "something else to do" and she texts and communicates more with all us than ever before. It's really been great.

There's no real way she could have figured out any android phone, the learning curve was very steep for her as it was. It was her first cell phone ever.

Another +1 for the rep making the right recommendation. I hope she loves it.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You guys are really over-emphasizing how "hard" it is to use Android and how "easy" it is to use iOS. There are plenty of people using Android who don't know how to set their DVR. Yes, there is more you can do, but if all you want to do is send texts and answer phone calls, Android is just as easy as iOS.

You made a mistake in letting your family get the iPhone.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is more you can do, but if all you want to do is send texts and answer phone calls, Android is just as easy as iOS.

You made a mistake in letting your family get the iPhone.

The thing she liked the best about the iPhone was she could (well actually, I could) put her grandkids in the contacts list and then all she would have to do was say "Text Sarah" then say "Sarah give me a call" and then say "Send" and it would send her text message. Can you do that with the Android? When we were in the store, it seemed like with the Android phones she would have to pull up her contact using her fingers or type in the phone number and then tap the microphone button before she could speak the text message. She liked being able to speak the commands without having to touch the screen. She kept pressing the screen instead of tapping it and that wasn't working for her and then she kept forgetting that she would have to tap the microphone button and just start talking and get all confused about why the phone wasn't picking up her voice.

Do you think I still made a mistake to get her the iPhone?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The thing she liked the best about the iPhone was she could (well actually, I could) put her grandkids in the contacts list and then all she would have to do was say "Text Sarah" then say "Sarah give me a call" and then say "Send" and it would send her text message. Can you do that with the Android? When we were in the store, it seemed like with the Android phones she would have to pull up her contact using her fingers or type in the phone number and then tap the microphone button before she could speak the text message. She liked being able to speak the commands without having to touch the screen. She kept pressing the screen instead of tapping it and that wasn't working for her and then she kept forgetting that she would have to tap the microphone button and just start talking and get all confused about why the phone wasn't picking up her voice.

Do you think I still made a mistake to get her the iPhone?

It sounds like she will be perfectly happy with it and in the end that's really what matters.

Sent using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc