ICS Optimised Live Wallpapers

Gehan99

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you guys must have noticed by now that most of the live wallpapers that come with the GN kind of slow down the scrolling animations. At the moment, out of all the live wallpapers, only Phase Beam works flawlesslly. Every other live wallpaper introduces some form of lag when sliding through home screens.

I'm assuming this is because they haven't been optimised for ICS yet? If so, does anyone know which live wallpapers are? It kinda sucks that I can only use one live wallpaper with such a gorgeous screen.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you guys must have noticed by now that most of the live wallpapers that come with the GN kind of slow down the scrolling animations. At the moment, out of all the live wallpapers, only Phase Beam works flawlesslly. Every other live wallpaper introduces some form of lag when sliding through home screens.

I'm assuming this is because they haven't been optimised for ICS yet? If so, does anyone know which live wallpapers are? It kinda sucks that I can only use one live wallpaper with such a gorgeous screen.

I think it has more to do with the resolution of the screen than being optimized. The increased resolution makes live wallpapers hard on the phone; phase beam is pretty kosher so it doesn't lag like the others (looking at you, water with leaves).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it has more to do with the resolution of the screen than being optimized. The increased resolution makes live wallpapers hard on the phone; phase beam is pretty kosher so it doesn't lag like the others (looking at you, water with leaves).

I have my doubt about this. I've loaded every live wallpaper and all of them, even the most simple of wallpapers, slow the scrolling animations down. I think it has something to do with optimization on some level. I'm really curious about this, because the phone operates amazingly well with widgets and the stock live wallpaper, and I'd love to use other live wallpapers.

Brandon

bayou bandit

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Microbes live wallpaper runs flawlessly on mine. It has never caused any lag. Idk if it's because of the black background, but I run it all the time, with no issues.

I'm on a Galaxy Nexus, fool!

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have my doubt about this. I've loaded every live wallpaper and all of them, even the most simple of wallpapers, slow the scrolling animations down. I think it has something to do with optimization on some level. I'm really curious about this, because the phone operates amazingly well with widgets and the stock live wallpaper, and I'd love to use other live wallpapers.

Brandon

I seriously doubt that it has to do with optimization because they lagged on my Rezound, too.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Microbes live wallpaper runs flawlessly on mine. It has never caused any lag. Idk if it's because of the black background, but I run it all the time, with no issues.

I'm on a Galaxy Nexus, fool!

Microbes is the first alternate live wallpaper I tried to use. It definitely lags, but it's subtle. You can see it when swiping between pages in the app drawer and swiping between home screens.

I seriously doubt that it has to do with optimization because they lagged on my Rezound, too.

Rezound doesn't have ICS yet though, right? So it doesn't have the OpenGL GPU acceleration, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Brandon

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Microbes is the first alternate live wallpaper I tried to use. It definitely lags, but it's subtle. You can see it when swiping between pages in the app drawer and swiping between home screens.

Rezound doesn't have ICS yet though, right? So it doesn't have the OpenGL GPU acceleration, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Brandon

No but since they share the same resolution, it's apples to apples. Granted, some live wallpapers aren't up to snuff with ics yet, but those are 3rd party ones on the market.

Gehan99

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Still, im really surprised that live wallpaper that comes with the phone doesnt run well. Thats sorta a critical mistake from Samsung/Google. Third party wallpapers with lag i can understand, but not stock ones.

Microbes is a bit laggy for me as welll; guess im stuck with Phase Beam for now. Thanks for the replies!

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Still, im really surprised that live wallpaper that comes with the phone doesnt run well. Thats sorta a critical mistake from Samsung/Google. Third party wallpapers with lag i can understand, but not stock ones.

Microbes is a bit laggy for me as welll; guess im stuck with Phase Beam for now. Thanks for the replies!

I agree totally. They obviously knew that they lagged and did nothing about it. Pretty lame.