Galaxy Nexus and poor signal

cardula

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my GNex for about a month and a half now. I'm on Virgin Canada. It's my first Android phone and my second smart phone. (went from an old Blackberry Curve 8330) My area is known for having poor reception but just enough to make/receive calls and texts fairly reliably. Since I'm new to Android, I jumped in head first without doing much homework, I just assumed that a flagship ICS device would have a similar radio to older phones, boy was I ever wrong.

When I'm at home, my phone reports anywhere between 25-75% of the uptime with no signal. It varies from day-to-day. I can simply never make/receive calls reliably with it; however, texting is usually okay, tho it complains about not being able to send texts from time to time. Luckily, call forwarding is included with my plan so whenever someone tries to call me it goes straight to the land line here, plus I can make calls using Skype using my wi-fi. When I'm out, I rarely get a signal above -113 dBm unless I'm in certain areas or in a city. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my radio because I get around -70 dBm at work and my 3G is faster than their wi-fi.

I want to keep the phone and I can handle the bad signal at home as I have call forwarding and skype to fall back onto, also I've been considering purchasing a signal booster. So here are my questions:

Is there any way to boost the radio performance on the phone? I've read a bit about different basebands and custom roms over on XDA, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Despite being new to Android, I'm quite technically inclined and want to learn more. Could installing a custom 4.03 rom or yakju google build then a different baseband increase the power of the radio?

Also, I've been looking at the yx545 signal booster. It looks promising but the only concern I have it that it supports 800/1900mhz but my carrier told me they operate on 850/1900mhz. Would I still benefit from installing it in my home?

It's no fun when I'm in a public place and I hear other people's phones going off whereas mine has 0 bars and -115 dBm. I've done a lot of asking around including where I bought my phone and my carrier, they claim it's because my area is still transitioning between 2G and 3G. I tried the use only 2G networks option, my carrier told me they do not support it. That was a huge letdown as my checking the use only 2G networks option increased my signal strength considerably, yet I was unable to use my phone at all with it checked. Also, the carriers here (Telus, Bell, Rogers) want very much to install new towers but the local government will not allow it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm going to keep my GNex regardless as I'll be moving to a city at some point this year anyway. Thanks in advance

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The galaxy has been plagued with signal strength issues.
Samsung compared to HTC and motorola has never had a good track record with signal strength. Rumors are plenty but I don't think this will be addressed anytime soon.

Try rooting your device and flashing a rom and kernel like codename rom and franco's kernel and see if that will work for you.

cardula

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your advice and the welcome. How much better reception are you getting with codename than with the stock samsung rom?

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The galaxy has been plagued with signal strength issues.
Samsung compared to HTC and motorola has never had a good track record with signal strength. Rumors are plenty but I don't think this will be addressed anytime soon.

Try rooting your device and flashing a rom and kernel like codename rom and franco's kernel and see if that will work for you.

I wouldn't say that it's been plagued with signal strength issues. I'd gather there are many people on this forum that would say that their signal strength is perfect (as I would say about my GNex...I get 4 bars in my house, -75 dBm). New radios on new networks can be partly to blame, partly some faulty hardware out there, partly poor signal strength in your area. Bottom line, modern wireless networks need higher signal quality to operate effectively. That's not a phone's fault.

If you know that your area has a poor signal, you could see if your carrier offers network extenders (as Verizon does). Rooting and installing new radios might help somewhat (a kernel wouldn't really help much), but installing a new radio won't increase a weak signal in your area.

If you know anyone else on your wireless carrier, you might get them in your place and compare signal strength to narrow down if its a network issue or a hardware issue.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My area is full 4g for since June....
DINC full strength
Neighbors Dinc full strength
Wife's Iphone full
Friend across the street with TB? Full.
At my house I am 4g but yes it is a fact that there are issues with weak radios with samsung.

cardula

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it's party poor radio on the phone and partly poor signal in my area. I went up onto the roof (about 20 ft off the ground) once and my signal up there was around -100 dBm. Plus even in high signal areas when I go into large buildings the signal reduces significantly. I think installing a better radio could very much help, I'm just not sure which one to install.

BTW thanks for responding so quickly.

beerho

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Just found this thread after missing a couple calls at my house. I've owned my nexus for less then a week and thought the places I was losing signal was odd. Today I brought up the signal meter on each phone, sitting side by side and here is what I got:

Blackberry -80 dBm
Nexus -96 dBm

That's a huge difference in power. I like the Nexus but this will likely cause me to return it. Since I use my phone for business this is unacceptable that it won't work properly inside my house, hence missing three calls. I also found these articles:

Verizon confirms Galaxy Nexus 'signal strength issue,' says a fix is in the works -- Engadget

and a few days later

Verizon sidesteps Galaxy Nexus antennagate, claims signal indicator is to blame -- Engadget

Crappy about Verizon being this way, thankfully it will be easy for me to return.

Gehan99

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry -80 dBm
Nexus -96 dBm

Wow. I'm definitely going to do the same with my GN and my old android to see if this is true. I have the GSM version, but I've noticed a few odd 1second cutouts during calls, which I have been purposely ignoring thanks to my absolute devotion to the phone. lol

But if there is a radio issue, I doubt that there will be a 'fix'.