Notifications on lock screen like iOS5

jrich1115

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

iPhone user here. thinking hard about switching to the Galaxy Nexus. But, there's one key feature of iOS 5 that I can't live without now that I've gotten a taste of it: Notifications on the lock screen and the ability to unlock directly to a particular email/text/app.

Like this:

lock-screen-notifications-240408.png

Note: I know that ICS has the drop down notification bar available from the Lock Screen. That's nice, but I'm wondering if I can skip that 1 extra swipe, since it's something I do about 100 times a day while at work.

Can I do this with the Galaxy Nexus? Does it require an app?

Thanks!

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, ICS lock screen van be customized with app, so you can swipe directly into the app rather than swipe to open and clicking on app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I must admit that the lock screen notifications in iOS is quite convenient. Hoping a developer takes the opportunity to implement something like that to the ICS lockscreen. All the other alternatives are either buggy or not as responsive as the stock lock screen.

Castor_troyy

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Idk... I mean if you want to be able to get to certain apps without having to unlock the phone... then why even use screen lock in the first place?

Its there to keep others from getting to use certain features, or keep you from hitting things by accident or when its in your pocket or something. What good is that if those features can be used without unlocking the phone...

Just my thoughts

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Encerspay45

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Dont worry....y'all arent missing out on much.....the "notification" system in iOS while configurable isn't good at all....nothing "notifies" you that there are pending notifications while using the OS.....and that lock screen notification system is a 1 time use...you swipe to open the phone and then turn it off and on again and there wont be anything there.....

Surprising that Apple wouldnt fully implement something that truly just "works"

timberga

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

iPhone user here. thinking hard about switching to the Galaxy Nexus. But, there's one key feature of iOS 5 that I can't live without now that I've gotten a taste of it: Notifications on the lock screen and the ability to unlock directly to a particular email/text/app.

Like this:

Click to view quoted image

Note: I know that ICS has the drop down notification bar available from the Lock Screen. That's nice, but I'm wondering if I can skip that 1 extra swipe, since it's something I do about 100 times a day while at work.

Can I do this with the Galaxy Nexus? Does it require an app?

Thanks!

Better be choosy on which one of those notifications you swipe, you wont see that screen again afterwards! Truly STUPID design. (I own a Galaxy Nexus and 4S) Much prefer the customization with iOS and the functionality of Android on notifications.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Better be choosy on which one of those notifications you swipe, you wont see that screen again afterwards! Truly STUPID design. (I own a Galaxy Nexus and 4S) Much prefer the customization with iOS and the functionality of Android on notifications.

I believe you just used customization and iOS in the same sentence.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jrich1115

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
All,

Thanks for the responses. Because I work for a large company, if I want my work email on my phone, I must have a lock screen on my phone with a security PIN. So, turning off the lock screen isn't an option.

I think what is a truly stupid design is not being able to turn your phone's screen on and see all your notifications at once.

Also, I actually like that the iOS notifications go away all at once. I look at my phone, see 3 emails/1 text/1 Facebook post/1 twitter mention, and I don't want to clear each of those individually. I might go straight to the text message first from the lock screen, but I've already seen all of the other notifications - I don't need to see them again, or take action to clear them.

Last edited:

fstop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Top right of notification screen there is a big X. Is that what you want?

Sent from the Galaxy Nexus far, far away.

jrich1115

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Just a conclusion to this discussion, if anyone is wondering:

I have a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone sitting next to each other, both set up with my work email/calendar account:

If secure unlock is on (i.e. PIN, password, or swipe), you cannot pull down the notification screen from the lock screen. You must enter your PIN first, then it takes you to the home screen. From there, you can swipe down for notifications. If you work at a big company that uses Exchange servers for email/calendar, like me, you're likely required to have a secure unlock method. So, that sucks.

On the iPhone, even with secure unlock on, it will show notifications on the lock screen. Then if you try to unlock the phone (e.g. swipe an email to respond to it), it then requires your PIN. Not as secure, I guess, since it not only shows emails, texts, and calendar notifications, it also shows a couple lines of each message. But, MUCH more convenient.

Another downside to Nexus email notifications is that it only shows you the email's subject. The iPhone will show you the subject plus the first two lines of the message.

Verdict: sticking with iPhone because I use it so much at work.

speedyhub

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Jrich -

I have exactly the same issue as you. I have a personal Samsung Skyrocket S2 and work iPhone 4s.

I want to be able to see all my text and email messages in one glance when I look at the phone - just like iOS does. But hove not found a solution.

Today, if an email comes in on my Gmail, I am much more likely to see it (and get a preview) on my iPhone before I see it on my Galaxy.

Have you found any apps since your "summary" you posted last fall? I'm on ICS now and thought it would be better... but its not.

Thanks for posting - this is the EXACT question that I've been trying to answer for the past 5 months!!

Speedyhub

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10