Will you skiing/snowboarding with your sgn in your pocket?

vancouver3

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been snowboarding without my Galaxy nexus in my pocket, I'm afraid I might break it into half when I fall and land right on the cell, or the shocking impact caused by jumping or bumping, which will potentially damage all the hardware inside.

I do have the otter box commuter case, water damage wont be a problem since all the Outerwears are waterproof. But should I really concern it ? does it really that fragile? Or I worried too much ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dsuppa

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I have Old Droid 2 that I'll call and switch service to for the weekends i go snowboarding, unfortunately to get gnex activated again I have to go to VZ to get a new SIM

marathonman0730

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I can see having a phone for safety concerns on the slopes...but I have never been snow skiing. Is there usually cell signal up on the slopes? I only water ski so its easy for me to just leave it in the boat lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been skiing since I got into smartphones with my OG DROID, but I would probably bring whatever my current phone was with me, but kept in a ziplock bag in an inside pocket.

I wouldn't worry about the shock from jumping or bumping too much. There aren't any moving parts and everything internal should be pretty much immobile. My biggest concerns would be moisture (hence the ziplock and inside pocket) and direct impact - though a direct impact hard enough to cause real damage to the phone would likely also cause real damage to you. Simply falling on it shouldn't cause any damage to the phone unless you're falling onto a rock or log or crashing into a tree..

vancouver3

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been skiing since I got into smartphones with my OG DROID, but I would probably bring whatever my current phone was with me, but kept in a ziplock bag in an inside pocket.

I wouldn't worry about the shock from jumping or bumping too much. There aren't any moving parts and everything internal should be pretty much immobile. My biggest concerns would be moisture (hence the ziplock and inside pocket) and direct impact - though a direct impact hard enough to cause real damage to the phone would likely also cause real damage to you. Simply falling on it shouldn't cause any damage to the phone unless you're falling onto a rock or log or crashing into a tree..

Yep, I've seen alot of people Ziplock their phone, the water damage could be sever.

I just figured I shouldn't carry it with me, not worth risk, I will probably switch to my older spare phone while riding.

The sgn looks extremly fragile to me, feels like it can be easily break into half.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Otterbox Defender on mine (with extended battery). Between the inner case locks and thick outer rubber heft, it feels like a military-grade device. I've taken it on much worse than the slopes with no issues despite jars, drops, etc.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I ski with a naked GNex. I put it in my vest breast pocket or one of my zippered pants pockets. I've never had a problem with any of my phones over the years.

Steve in CT

Last edited:

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Lol this reminds me of my old Nokia phone years and years ago. I cracked the cheapo screen on that skiing. There's no way I'd take mine on the slopes. No real need to unless you're in an unfamiliar part of the mountain or parts without trails and lifts. I always just leave it in my car or rented locker.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
There are number of reasons to carry a phone on the slopes. I've used mine to take pictures, call first aid about an injury, and my favorite...track my day using Google Tracks. It creates a cool map of the trails I did while providing metrics like distance, speed, and elevation change.

I'd also recommend carrying if you ski or ride by yourself. You hope that nothing will happen, but you never know!

Steve in CT

Tonkaee

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I dirtbike alot and have to have my phone on me (you never know what will happen) of course that was with my incredible with an otterbox defender case. I would get a heavy duty case just for boarding that is what I will be doing in these situations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital