Update Telus/Canadian Gnex?

jlaufer

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all so im new to Android but familiar with a few of its in and outs... My GSM Gnex on telus is my first device. Im still stuck on 4.01, but 4.02 has been avaliable on the Google Code site for awhile. I'm wondering how i would go about updating it since Telus wont give me OTA... I was expecting some sort of Gnex desktop software but no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

90miles

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
You'll need to flash the YAKJU version of ICS. Currently, you might have the YAKJUUX version which is updated by Samsung and not Google.
For this you need to unlock the bootloader.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
To elaborate, there are two types of GSM Galaxy Nexii, 1) which has "official" google firmware, or yakju and 2) which has slightly different Samsung firmware, yakju** (* representing characters to indicate region).

yakju** variants are different because of the market they were sold in required different radio firmware and small tweaks. The downside of this is that updates come slightly slower because each regional build has to be made and pushed by Samsung, not Google.

Now the great thing about the Nexus is that official images for the phone are available straight form Google. If you'd like to get on this update path, you can unlock your bootloader (100% wipes the device!!!!) and flash the images. From this point forward you will receive OTAs from Google presumably "first" with everyone else.

There are MANY extensive and exhaustive guides (so I won't go through them here) that will show you to do this. It takes about 5 minutes to flash the items with a few downloads and about 10 command line prompts. Read up first before flashing.

For reference, I used this guide from XDA to do mine: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21113773&postcount=195

Have fun!

jlaufer

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I heard that flashing and unlocking the bootloader would void my warrenty though? it doesnt make sense to me but id hate to loose it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon