Gsm Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 update changes /enhancements

stimpy01234

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed if they fixed Tue restart problem which was plaguing the earlier versions

And if anyone's using the GSM version of the galaxy nexsus how has it affected reception... there are a few reports of the update messing that up badly

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My gsm Nexus restarted once on 4.0.2. So far with 4.0.4, I have not had any restarts. Its very stable, browser crashed twice, app tray is very fluid. Huge improvement all around.

I read of complaints with signal issues, luckily I have not experienced that yet. So the issue does not seem to be wide spread.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
My gsm Nexus restarted once on 4.0.2. So far with 4.0.4, I have not had any restarts

My phone restarts (infrequently) on both versions so reboots persist. It does seem to manage its memory better (guessing they got rid of a memory leak or two) and so doesn't slow down as much as 4.0.2 did over a week or so (I booted it myself after a week or so).

mattatwar

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
My gsm Nexus restarted once on 4.0.2. So far with 4.0.4, I have not had any restarts. Its very stable, browser crashed twice, app tray is very fluid. Huge improvement all around.

I read of complaints with signal issues, luckily I have not experienced that yet. So the issue does not seem to be wide spread.

Me two except the browser works good for me

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
1. Battery life seems to be better, course it wasn't bad before.
2. Screen rotate is much improved.
3. Camera still produces absolutely horrendous photos. But Editing the lightness and darkness in the stock Editor makes a world of difference.
4. My disappearing SMS issue that my CDMA Nexus and 4.0.2 Nexus also had. 1 out of 100 texts come in, then disappear
5. I now have an issue with the phone locking up while charging, yet the notification light keeps going. I've Googled it and found others have had this issue with all version of 4.0.x
6. I now have an issue with my phone occasionally losing data / signal until I reboot. I never had this issue on 4.0.2 with my GSM phone.

jedimstr397

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I read on another thread that you can go to settings, apps, all apps, Google framework services, clear data, force stop, and then try the checkin method. This seems to have worked for others. Its worth a shot. Good luck!

Didn't work for me. I get the "checkin succeeded" message and the system updates page says my system is up to date showing the current time (changed from 31/12/1969).

Not having this update is starting to annoy me.

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Didn't work for me. I get the "checkin succeeded" message and the system updates page says my system is up to date showing the current time (changed from 31/12/1969).

Not having this update is starting to annoy me.
Did you try rebooting the phone. Do a 'Power Off' and a 'Power On' and check for the update (I think this only works for 'yakju' build).

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
What build do you have? Yakju, yakjuxw, etc. The aforementioned method would only work for yakju until Samsung gets its act together and send out the update for their builds. Very frustrating that Google and Samsung would do updates like this, considering Samsung is historically horrendous at sending updates for even their flagship devices.

jedimstr397

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you try rebooting the phone. Do a 'Power Off' and a 'Power On' and check for the update (I think this only works for 'yakju' build).

What build do you have? Yakju, yakjuxw, etc. The aforementioned method would only work for yakju until Samsung gets its act together and send out the update for their builds. Very frustrating that Google and Samsung would do updates like this, considering Samsung is historically horrendous at sending updates for even their flagship devices.

Yup, tried a reboot, same problem. And yes, I am running yakju.

Don't know what else to do. I guess more waiting.

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just found something amazing. I went into the TEST settings from the dialer (*#*#4636*#*#) and changed my data setting to wcdma only. My download speeds have literally doubled in speeds. In my house I get a dbm around 85 with 4g. This usually equated to 3.50 down, 1.5—2 up. NOW with wcdma only I get about 6.50 down and over 2 up! I thought this was a fluke, so I ran 10 tests with the same result. I switched data setting back to wcdma PREFERRED and went back to 3.50 down. Only problem is, once I switch data back to Edge, then back to 4g, wcdma preferred is the default again.

mistyshowers

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I recently noticed that with my update on my phone, I can take screen shots now, I'm not really sure how I did it, does anyone elses galaxy do this?

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
In both 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 if I've been in bad or no cell tower reception areas, it will sometimes not recover when I move back into good reception areas (even hours later) until I toggle airplane mode.

pureazian626

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Screenshots u kinda press and hold both down+power at the same time. Not too tricky

What I noticed since update:

1. Shut down options change a. Power off b. Airplane mode c. Silent, Vibrate and speaker on.
2. Pressing volume down til vibrate, add extra press down to silent mode.
3. Dock settings and full functionally of dock
4. Undeleteable draft messages in SMS are now deleteable
5. Camcorder now has a screen capture by taping on the screen while recording.

jedimstr397

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just found something amazing. I went into the TEST settings from the dialer (*#*#4636*#*#) and changed my data setting to wcdma only. My download speeds have literally doubled in speeds. In my house I get a dbm around 85 with 4g. This usually equated to 3.50 down, 1.5?2 up. NOW with wcdma only I get about 6.50 down and over 2 up! I thought this was a fluke, so I ran 10 tests with the same result. I switched data setting back to wcdma PREFERRED and went back to 3.50 down. Only problem is, once I switch data back to Edge, then back to 4g, wcdma preferred is the default again.

With your method, mine got worse. I took a screenshot with mine set at wcdma preferred and I got 2 Meg more than wcdma only. Maybe it was just a fluke?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown