Question about T-Mobile data speeds with the GN

drewsg

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there a big difference between 21Mbps and 42Mbps phones other than theoretical top speed? Right now, I just switched to T-Mobile and got the Galaxy S2 which gets me around 6-7Mbps around town. If I trade in and get the Nexus, will speeds be any slower or will speeds be around the same since it's only works on T-Mobile's 21Mbps HSPA network..

This is pretty weird for me, I've always been with either Verizon or Sprint, so I'm new to the whole SIM card thing and GSM networks..

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Question about using this phone on T-Mobile

There's something different, but I'm not sure what lol.

If I drop my SIM card in my SGSII, I get about 10-11M/s download speed.
In the very same spot, I get about 7M/s with my G Nex.
I am NOT in a 21 or 42 network, my area is only rated at 14.4.

What any of that means, I duuno. In the end, you can't tell much of a difference between them, and in fact the G Nex with Chrome seems faster on the web than the SGSII with the stock Samsung browser.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Personally I would forgo a bit of speed for a pure android experience. But that is just me.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Is there a big difference between 21Mbps and 42Mbps phones other than theoretical top speed? Right now, I just switched to T-Mobile and got the Galaxy S2 which gets me around 6-7Mbps around town. If I trade in and get the Nexus, will speeds be any slower or will speeds be around the same since it's only works on T-Mobile's 21Mbps HSPA network..

This is pretty weird for me, I've always been with either Verizon or Sprint, so I'm new to the whole SIM card thing and GSM networks..

You'd only notice a difference in an area where T-Mobile has deployed 42mbps HSPA+ on the towers. The highest real-world speeds you should expect on a 21mbps HSPA+ device is about 60% of that theoretical speed. Expect ~12mbps at the most in excellent condition.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

I might have to eat my words seeing that I am getting terrible speeds on the tmobile network. I know for a fact I am in a 21+ m/s coverage area but can't seem to pull more than 1.2 megs at best... What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I have to set up? I can't even get a H+ signal. It just shows H and might drop to 3g here and there. Is there something wrong the 404.buil404.build? .

arcadelion

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I might have to eat my words seeing that I am getting terrible speeds on the tmobile network. I know for a fact I am in a 21+ m/s coverage area but can't seem to pull more than 1.2 megs at best... What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I have to set up? I can't even get a H+ signal. It just shows H and might drop to 3g here and there. Is there something wrong the 404.buil404.build? .

I'm with you! I only get H, not H+. It usually stays on 3G too. I live in Houston.
Is this a problem with the Nexus and Tmobile service?
Is a new sim card the answer?

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you! I only get H, not H+. It usually stays on 3G too. I live in Houston.
Is this a problem with the Nexus and Tmobile service?
Is a new sim card the answer?

When I checked from the tmo store I came to know that the unlocked phones even though they support the tmo network do not support HSPA+ which is basically HSPA with back haul but only plain HSPA. So you will only see H and not H+ . Hope this information helps. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: arnold1997

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

When I checked from the tmo store I came to know that the unlocked phones even though they support the tmo network do not support HSPA+ which is basically HSPA with back haul but only plain HSPA. So you will only see H and not H+ . Hope this information helps. :)

Wit wait... So I will never see hspa+ speeds with my device on tmobile network? So I will never be able to get more than 1 meg down speeds?

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

can someone confirm this? nobody on tmobile or att is getting H+?

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wit wait... So I will never see hspa+ speeds with my device on tmobile network? So I will never be able to get more than 1 meg down speeds?

No with HSPA you will easily be able to get around 6 mbps. I am on tmo using the unlocked gnexus.

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Wow....someone getting 6 megs down on tmo???? I would kill for that. I have not gotten over 2 megs down since i got it two days ago. Popped the sim back into my g2x at home...4 megs. popped it back into gnex home----1.5. What gives.......man I will be pissed if this will not run over two megs in a good coverage tmo are.. Man o man.

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't have T-Mobile but im getting anywhere from 3-6 mbps download with At&t...

KeviiinS

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
How much do you guys pay? I'm a student and I'm gonna get paid from an internship in summer so I was planning on buying the unlocked Galaxy Nexus because I'm TIRED of Virgin Mobile. I know there's plans with the SIM card from $20 to $60. True?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I get between 5-6mbs on tmo. Phone shows "H" and sometimes 3G. I just assumed "H" was HSPA+. Never heard of "H+". 6mb is fine with me. Can Netflix and video chat no problem.

As for cost, I believe tmo has a prepaid unlimited everything for about $60. I'm on a family plan which is about $80 per month; unlimited everything. (Per line).

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow....someone getting 6 megs down on tmo???? I would kill for that. I have not gotten over 2 megs down since i got it two days ago. Popped the sim back into my g2x at home...4 megs. popped it back into gnex home----1.5. What gives.......man I will be pissed if this will not run over two megs in a good coverage tmo are.. Man o man.

Should check your APNs. It should get the same speeds assuming the dBm connection is relatively the same.

This is not true. You get full speeds. They pipe the bits to your SIM and your phone picks it up. They don't discriminate on the devices. I get 100% full-on HSPA+ on my i9250 Galaxy Nexus.

How much do you guys pay? I'm a student and I'm gonna get paid from an internship in summer so I was planning on buying the unlocked Galaxy Nexus because I'm TIRED of Virgin Mobile. I know there's plans with the SIM card from $20 to $60. True?

I'm on T-Mobile prepaid $30/mo. 100 minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

They have $60 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/2gb cap data.
and a $70 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

Simple Mobile has $60 UL / UL / UL (cap ~8gb) plans.

Other AT&T MVNO's have plans in the $45-$75 range with about the same features.

I get between 5-6mbs on tmo. Phone shows "H" and sometimes 3G. I just assumed "H" was HSPA+. Never heard of "H+". 6mb is fine with me. Can Netflix and video chat no problem.

There is no "H+" icon on the Galaxy Nexus. You'll only be able to show:

x : no service
R : roaming
G : GPRS
E : EDGE
3G : UMTS
H : HSDPA / HSPA+ / HSPAP

On the phone under "status" you'll never see it say "HSPA+". On 4.0.2 you'll see "HSDPA". On 4.0.4 you'll see "HSPAP:15".

KeviiinS

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Should check your APNs. It should get the same speeds assuming the dBm connection is relatively the same.

This is not true. You get full speeds. They pipe the bits to your SIM and your phone picks it up. They don't discriminate on the devices. I get 100% full-on HSPA+ on my i9250 Galaxy Nexus.

I'm on T-Mobile prepaid $30/mo. 100 minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

They have $60 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/2gb cap data.
and a $70 tier with: UL minutes, UL text, UL/5gb cap data.

Simple Mobile has $60 UL / UL / UL (cap ~8gb) plans.

Other AT&T MVNO's have plans in the $45-$75 range with about the same features.

There is no "H+" icon on the Galaxy Nexus. You'll only be able to show:

x : no service
R : roaming
G : GPRS
E : EDGE
3G : UMTS
H : HSDPA / HSPA+ / HSPAP

On the phone under "status" you'll never see it say "HSPA+". On 4.0.2 you'll see "HSDPA". On 4.0.4 you'll see "HSPAP:15".

Thanks a lot!!! I'm so getting it in summer :D

rizzman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep worked out fine. I am getting close to 8 Meg's down in strong spots. So it is working, just neveru realized that at home I only get 2 bars signal thus slower speeds. But I hit over 8Meg's at work constantly all day today so I am a happy go camper. Plus I realized something interesting. Even with lower bars at home I am able to render pages on the chrome browser incredibly fast. It is insane how optimized that browser is for android. Good bye stock browser.

Ps......members we right. The gnex never shows h+. H is H+

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot!!! I'm so getting it in summer :D

No problem. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Yep worked out fine. I am getting close to 8 Meg's down in strong spots. So it is working, just neveru realized that at home I only get 2 bars signal thus slower speeds. But I hit over 8Meg's at work constantly all day today so I am a happy go camper. Plus I realized something interesting. Even with lower bars at home I am able to render pages on the chrome browser incredibly fast. It is insane how optimized that browser is for android. Good bye stock browser.

Ps......members we right. The gnex never shows h+. H is H+

Good to hear you're getting acceptable speeds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante