Buying unlocked GN soon, I have a question regarding the SIM card

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I currently have an iPhone 4, and I'm very grateful to say I have less than 2 weeks left with this god-forsaken device. So I am going to be ordering the unlocked GN from Google Play. My question is regarding the micro-SIM that currently sits in my iPhone. My carrier is AT&T btw. I know the GN will use a regular SIM card. In your honest opinions, what's the best way of going about this size issue? Do I go to AT&T and request a new SIM for the GN, or do I use my current SIM via one of the adapters I see mentioned? If an adapter is the way to go...what's the best one out there? I've seen numerous that come with some sort of tape, and I've heard of some really high quality adapters where the micro-SIM snaps into place. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Buying unlocked GN soon, I have a question regarding the SIM

If you have no intentions on using the iPhone 4 again just go to AT&T and have them give you a new normal sized SIM card. If however, you foresee yourself swapping devices here and there then just pick up an adapter for the microSIM.

When it comes to adapters, it really doesn't matter as long as it's a sturdy one. Some of the plastic ones out there are pretty flimsy and when you remove them from your non-microSIM device there is the potential they can rip the gold contact points off the inside which, is not a good thing to have happen at all.

In any case, you could spend $20 and buy one of every brand out there to test them out, it's not as if they're overly expensive out but realistically you're better off just making your own using this method -- least then you know it'll be somewhat sturdy.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Also before you go buying adapters, there have been countless people in here claiming that they can easily make their micro-SIM card work just fine in the Galaxy Nexus's SIM card slot, just by sliding it in. It's just not a perfect fit, but it works fine. However, I haven't had personal experience with this method, so hopefully one of them will come here and chime in for you.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy Nexus from Google last week. Coming from an iPhone 4S, I was able to get the micro SIM to fit. It took a couple of tries. You just seat the card right in the middle of the slot. It doesn't slide around or anything. I've been using the phone since last Wednesday and haven't had any issues. Once I booted the phone up, it detected all of the appropriate AT&T settings and I was good to go. Didn't have to talk to anyone at AT&T.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: guinnkevinr

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will forget about buying an adapter. I will try just using the micro-SIM first and if all is well, I will leave it at that. I have no real intention of going back to the iPhone 4. I will merely keep it as a backup device, should anything happen to the GN in the future. Brings up another question. Since the GN doesn't have an sd card slot, when you plug the phone into a computer, does the whole device go into "mass storage mode" as it did with the sd card portion of other handsets? Basically I want to know that I'll be able to create the appropriate folders (as I did on an sd card in other devices) so that I can manually transfer music and tones, etc.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

If you do end up getting an adapter, get this one: MicroSim Adapter 3FF mini-UICC Shop

If tried the generic ones from Amazin and they suck. They don't have the little corner holders. The ones from microsim-shop are legit.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will forget about buying an adapter. I will try just using the micro-SIM first and if all is well, I will leave it at that. I have no real intention of going back to the iPhone 4. I will merely keep it as a backup device, should anything happen to the GN in the future. Brings up another question. Since the GN doesn't have an sd card slot, when you plug the phone into a computer, does the whole device go into "mass storage mode" as it did with the sd card portion of other handsets? Basically I want to know that I'll be able to create the appropriate folders (as I did on an sd card in other devices) so that I can manually transfer music and tones, etc.

In a way yes. It doesn't show up as a drive. It shows up as a device, and you can explore the files. Kinda like when you plug in a point&shoot camera.

The short of it is, yes, you can can create folders and what not. There already are folders for ringtones, music, videos, etc.

[My experience is with Windows 7. Not tried it on Linux or Mac]

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks again everyone! I will be ordering my new baby a week from tomorrow. I can hardly wait!!!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Just as another note Nava...The sim card from your iphone 4 will work fine but will not provide Hspa+(Faux 4G) speeds.You'll only get Hspa and also Hsupa So when you know for sure you will not switch back to the iphone , you will need to get a new sim from At&t provisioned for Hspa+ . They should give you one for free with no fuss. Thats if you want to get the highest data speeds the GN's radio can provide...The normal Hspa speeds are still pretty fast. I see 5Mb down and 2 or 3 up where i am at.

Check your speeds with "Speedtest" to see what you get.

I have my i4 as a back up, so I never bothered getting a new sim.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Just as another note Nava...The sim card from your iphone 4 will work fine but will not provide Hspa+(Faux 4G) speeds.You'll only get Hspa and also Hsupa So when you know for sure you will not switch back to the iphone , you will need to get a new sim from At&t provisioned for Hspa+ . They should give you one for free with no fuss. Thats if you want to get the highest data speeds the GN's radio can provide...The normal Hspa speeds are still pretty fast. I see 5Mb down and 2 or 3 up where i am at.

Check your speeds with "Speedtest" to see what you get.

I have my i4 as a back up, so I never bothered getting a new sim.

That will be something to think about. I was never too sold on the whole "Faux 4G" thing. When I worked for Pep Boys a while back, a couple of my coworkers had gotten the AT&T GSII with the "4G". Even though their phones displayed the H+ for a signal, the SpeedTest app results were identical when compared to my iPhone 4. The three of us ran the test at the same time, and our results were all the same. At which point I said "you guys can stop ripping into me and go f**** yourselves at 4G speeds".

I ended up ordering a SIM adapter which came recommended by mi_canuck. I don't believe I'm going to be needing a new SIM, as I also intend to keep the i4 as a backup device.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

If you do end up getting an adapter, get this one: MicroSim Adapter 3FF mini-UICC Shop

If tried the generic ones from Amazin and they suck. They don't have the little corner holders. The ones from microsim-shop are legit.

Warning! don't make the mistake I did and put the adpater in the slot WITHOUT a sim in (i put it back while I swapped my sim back to my iphone for a half day)... it WILL get stuck. i had to carefully push the pins down and carefully extract the adapter...

My advice, don't bother with the adapters...

mmond4

May 16, 2012
Visit site

D-oh - wish I'd seen this a few hours ago. Just did this, and I seem to have snapped one of the three bottom contacts, when I tried to get the adapter out to put my SIM back in again. Now my GN won't register to the network. Any ideas on how/where to get this repaired?

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Warning! don't make the mistake I did and put the adpater in the slot WITHOUT a sim in (i put it back while I swapped my sim back to my iphone for a half day)... it WILL get stuck. i had to carefully push the pins down and carefully extract the adapter...

My advice, don't bother with the adapters...

*sheepish grin* Thanks for the heads up! If I DO decide to use the adapter, it will be because I have no intention of using the iPhone 4 again. A relative of mine has expressed interest in buying mine, so I'm thinking "why not....better you, than me". Also, I actually talked to AT&T about what I was planning to do. They claim it shouldn't be a problem, just to bring the device in so they can register it and they'll give me a new SIM. I will decide once my new baby is in my hands. Also, I expect I will have my GN at least a week before this adapter arrives. I was quoted anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks for delivery (it has already shipped).

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I bought a Galaxy Nexus from Google last week. Coming from an iPhone 4S, I was able to get the micro SIM to fit. It took a couple of tries. You just seat the card right in the middle of the slot. It doesn't slide around or anything. I've been using the phone since last Wednesday and haven't had any issues. Once I booted the phone up, it detected all of the appropriate AT&T settings and I was good to go. Didn't have to talk to anyone at AT&T.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Been sitting here for ten minutes trying to fit my microsim just right until I saw your post! Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463