Google wallet

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried Google Wallet for the first time yesterday at a McDs near me and the Mgr was a total jerk about the whole thing.

I placed my phone on the receiver end (not sure of the proper term) of the CC machine and my phone said sent or something like that. He then asked what I was doing and I explained I am using Google wallet to pay for my Large Diet Coke and a Yogurt Parfait, "well it looks like to me you are hacking the system". I assured him that I was doing no such thing and that it was completely legal and indeed a receipt came out of the register which he handed me.

I was given my order and I sat down to eat, about 5 minutes later a Police Officer comes over to me and asks to speak with me for a moment. He asks to see my phone and wants to know if I had modified it in any way as the Mgr said I somehow hacked his system. I explain that it is completely stock as I purchased it from Google and that Google (not me) included this piece of software Google Wallet and technology called NFC which allows me to use my phone like a CC to pay for item that accept MasterCard PayPass.

The Officer seemed unsure of the entire thing and asked again if I had modified the phone in any way, to which I again said no. I said, look, use your iPhone (which I saw on his belt) and go to Google and search for Google Wallet. Added to that since I had used my Citi MasterCard to pay for the purchase I offered to call Citi and have them speak with the Office and state they see a transaction from McD for the place and time of the transaction, I had nothing to hide and was willing to cooperate.

The Office did use his iPhone and did search for Google Wallet and went and spoke with the McD manager and after a few minutes came back to me and said that he explained to the Mgr that it seemed legitimate, but that in the future the Mgr would prefer that I pay with Cash or a physical CC, not my phone.

So, just be careful some people do not like the idea just yet and might like my experience call the Police to investigate.

Dan

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I love it when people who don't know what they are talking about are always so sure they are correct. These stories are crazy. As a business owner, it is your job to be educated on these types of technologies, and educate your staff on them as well.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried Google Wallet for the first yesterday at a McDs near me and the Mgr was a total jerk about the whole thing.

I placed my phone the receiver end (not sure of the proper term) and my phone said sent or something like that. He then asked what I was doing and I explained I am using Google wallet to pay for my Large Diet Coke and a Yogurt Parfait, "well it looks like to me you are hacking the system". I assured him that I was doing no such thing and that it was completely legal and indeed a receipt came out of the register which he handed me.

I was given my order and I sat down to eat, about 5 minutes later a Police Officer comes over to me and asks to speak with me for a moment. He asks to see my phone and wants to know if I had modified it in any way as the Mgr said I somehow hacked his system. I explain that it is completely stock as I purchased it from Google and that Google (not me) included this piece of software Google Wallet and technology called NFC which allows me to use my phone like a CC to pay for item that accept MasterCard PayPass.

The Officer seemed unsure of the entire thing and asked again if I had modified the phone in any way, to which I again said no. I said, look, use your iPhone (which I saw on his belt) and go to Google and search for Google Wallet. Added to that since I had used my Citi MasterCard to pay for the purchase I offered to call Citi and have them speak with the Office and state they see a transaction from McD for the place and time of the transaction, I had nothing to hide and was willing to cooperate.

The Office did use his iPhone and did search for Google Wallet and went and spoke with the McD manager and after a few minutes came back to me and said that he explained to the Mgr that it seemed legitimate, but that in the future the Mgr would prefer that I pay with Cash or a physical CC, not my phone.

So, just be careful some people do not like the idea just yet and might like my experience call the Police to investigate.

Dan
Wow your better person then I am. I would have told him to either arrest me for a crime or kiss off! Let me eat my food in piece! You did get a receipt right? All the info is right on it...

andrewvig

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No offense to managers of McDonalds but I would not hesitate to say, based on my perception of those at our local establishments, that they aren't exactly the "shining stars" of my community. I'm not surprised to hear that low level, customer facing managers are suspicious of this technology. Likewise for the quick stops. It's a living but for them but adapting to technology that their consumers are using is quite difficult. I remember the short time period where the thought of entering a pin number at the pos was unfathomable. Within what seems like only a few months everybody accepted it and moved on and now it is second nature and more common than cash. The unfortunate thing is that the previous poster above was right about apple or a widespread community backing will continue to slow the adoption of this.... So go apple?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

temotoren

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the secure element problem after flashing a rom. So now i have money from sprint sitting in the cloud. I could go to CVS and buy an amazon giftcard but, my secure element is broken or whatever.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I got the secure element problem after flashing a rom. So now i have money from sprint sitting in the cloud. I could go to CVS and buy an amazon giftcard but, my secure element is broken or whatever.

I was just thinking about this and as upset as I was about Google Wallet a few comments back, I'm really pulling for Google Wallet to maybe do some kind of massive ad campaign to raise awareness of NFC enabled devices.
Try going into settings/applications/ and find Wallet Google app, then delete data, when you open up the Wallet app you'll have to sign in again, should do the trick.
Well, I'm planning on walking into CVS today and see what happens with this app, since getting my monies back will seemingly take weeks I think I will point my efforts into making this thing work, let's see what happens. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GneX via Tapatalk

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow your better person then I am. I would have told him to either arrest me for a crime or kiss off! Let me eat my food in piece! You did get a receipt right? All the info is right on it...

Yes I did get a receipt.

I have learned that with the Police especially, but it applies to any empowered person giving them the feeling of being in control seems to prevent issues from escalating.

Honestly, the Officer that was dispatched is known (locally within the town) to be the type who wants his authority respected and in my estimation would not have taken kindly to being told to take a hike.

Thus, I stayed calm, cool and collected, giving him the needed info to ensure that he understood exactly what transpired and could advocate on my behalf instead of simply assuming that I was a hacker.

Dan

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Tried to use it at McDonalds last night and their stupid paypass reader would read my phone. However the employee didn't see anything wrong with me tyring to use my phone to pay....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cjdroid

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
To find places that take my Google Wallet, I use an app called PayPass Locator. While I know MickyD's and CVS use it, it also shows me other places I might not of thought of. If I travel, it is nice to have, by showing what is near me. It will also filter by type of establishment.

My biggest frustration is that there are not more places that use the technology yet. ;)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I used it at CVS with no problems in fact the workers were amazed

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Same here, its been hit and miss so far. Two hits (McyD's and CVS) and one miss (Food 4 Less), I'm not to upset about it anymore as I'm using an app (XDA FORUMS) not made for the Galaxy Nexus LTE. In fact Verizon was/is against Google Wallet being on their Nexus phones where Sprint is open arms for the Google Wallet app. So I'll take what I can get for now, just won't be loading it with $100 next time. :D

Sent from my GneX via Tapatalk

igoymillan

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have used GW a few times at BJ's and everything went fine. That is, until I returned some items. The store receipt shows a MasterCard ending in "1234" (not the actual numbers) was charged in the original purchase. When I returned a few items, the store clerk said that the refunded amount would be automatically reflected in the MasterCard ending in "1234".

A week passed and I have not seen the refund transaction anywhere. I looked at all my valid payment cards that I have registered in GW (a prepaid GW virtual MasterCard, my own Visa and my own MasterCard. The problem I think is that none of the payment cards' assigned virtual numbers matched the one in the BJ's receipt (ending in "1234") !!!

I have contacted GW Help Center (within the Google Wallet site) via email explaining the whole situation last week but I haven't gotten a reply yet. (The site says that it usually takes them 1 business day to reply).

I just sent a follow-up email tonight. I wonder where my refunded amounts are going?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sad state of affairs when it comes to retailers training their employees. I'm amazed at how someone can work at a place and not have a clue about the point-of-sale system that they use daily. That's like driving a car every day and not knowing how to refuel it. Hmmm, these retailers are trusting these clueless employees to handle financial transactions at their points of sale? :eek:

Granted, the technology is relatively new in the U.S., but we're not talking rocket science here.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I feel u its not that complicated to understand but they be looking either amazed or confused lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sad state of affairs when it comes to retailers training their employees. I'm amazed at how someone can work at a place and not have a clue about the point-of-sale system that they use daily. That's like driving a car every day and not knowing how to refuel it. Hmmm, these retailers are trusting these clueless employees to handle financial transactions at their points of sale? :eek:

Granted, the technology is relatively new in the U.S., but we're not talking rocket science here.

i think employees are just as clueless as we are about what actual places accept NFC payments.

yes, their employees are clueless that it's a legal & viable payment process, but we're no more in-the-loop about which businesses accept it than the employee of those places.
(for instance, Wendys in my area also accepts NFC payments--but i've never seen one mention of it in any forum)

but, i honestly do understand your point.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
i think employees are just as clueless as we are about what actual places accept NFC payments.

yes, their employees are clueless that it's a legal & viable payment process, but we're no more in-the-loop about which businesses accept it than the employee of those places.
(for instance, Wendys in my area also accepts NFC payments--but i've never seen one mention of it in any forum)

but, i honestly do understand your point.

Sadly, I know most of the places around me that accept Google Wallet (or say they do). It translates into McDonalds, the ING Cafe near me & one BP gas station. Haven't had the gas station reader work once yet though :(

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, I know most of the places around me that accept Google Wallet (or say they do). It translates into McDonalds, the ING Cafe near me & one BP gas station. Haven't had the gas station reader work once yet though :(

There are quite a few places around me that have PayPass terminals. The trick is getting the cashiers to recognize what is happening when you use the terminal. It will take time, patience, and training. Right now, there aren't that many people sporting NFC-enabled phones, and not everyone that has one is actually using that feature. So it's no surprise that cashiers are caught by surprise when they see someone actually use the feature.

If it had the advertising behind it similar to what Exxon did with their SpeedPass keychains years ago, or the EZ-Pass toll system, then people would be more aware of it. As it stands now, only folks that frequent these boards even know what NFC stands for (in this context). If you ask most folks, they'll say "National Football Conference?". (And that's only if they have a clue about football.) :p

For a "first-world" country, the U.S. is so far behind the times, when it comes to general use of these "new" technologies. Oh well. It will catch on... eventually.

mightymikek83

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I used Google Wallet for the first time today at a 7-11 and holy crap!!! It's so fast! My friend came to see it in action and was instantly jealous (he has an IPHONE 4S) I can't wait to use it again lol.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante