02-22-2013 09:55 AM
44 12
tools
    I'm new to the Android world and I've narrowed down my choices to the Nexus and S3.

I'm feeling really partial to the Nexus because it's the barebones of ICS and looks and feels nice to use. But the S3 just came out and I see the forums going ga-ga over it.

You guys seeing any pros of your Nexus' over the new guy? Am I a fool to not go for the S3?

I'm aware of the differences in terms of specs. But other aspects, I may not understand. (Rooting, future updates, battery life, repair costs, etc.)

I was considering heading out to Rogers today and making the jump from BlackBerry, but this 50/50 decision has me dead in my tracks.
    06-23-2012 08:01 AM
    I don't have S3 envy. While it's obviously a better phone spec-wise, I still think the Nexus is a better bargain for an unlocked phone.

Mainly because none of the main improvements on the S3 are big deals for me. While nice, I don't personally need the best camera on the market or an SD card slot. Performance on the nexus is good enough for me that whatever improvement the S3 has in that regard isn't really enough to make me want it.

I'd choose Nexus again today when factoring in ICS unblemished (no carrier crapware) and don't have to root it in order to get newer versions of android when they come out.

I'm not a power user though and my last phone was a measly feature phone. But no buyer's remorse here.
    moosc and knightfall like this.
    06-23-2012 08:21 AM
    Nexus any day over s3. The home button on the s3 screams Apple rip off. That and I don't like the color choices. I don't want a white or blue phone and if I do I will get a case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    knightfall likes this.
    06-23-2012 08:23 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Are all GN phones unlocked? I'm in Canada and will be going through Rogers. Is going that route hold any negatives?
    06-23-2012 09:17 AM
    I believe if you buy it from google then it is unlocked

06-23-2012 09:19 AM
    For you it really depends. Spec wise, the Galaxy SIII wins in almost everything, but the only reason I don't have Galaxy SIII envy is because of the design and the fact that the Galaxy Nexus it is a pure Google phone. To me the physical home button and choice of color just doesn't look right to me on the Galaxy SIII. Additionally, the Galaxy SIII can have pre-installed apps that get in the way in contrast to the Galaxy Nexus which comes with no trace of bloatware. Besides, the price difference right now is about 400 dollars in favor of the Galaxy Nexus. With that money, I could get all the accessories I want for my Galaxy Nexus and still have a lot left over to treat myself. :P
    knightfall likes this.
    06-23-2012 09:25 AM
    I believe if you buy it from google then it is unlocked

I did try this, but unless I get it used or something, it looks like Google isn't selling to Canadians yet.

Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
    We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
    Please check back again soon.
    06-23-2012 09:29 AM
    No, I have both.
    06-23-2012 10:34 AM
    If you have to get it thru a carrier then choice is much more difficult as the price difference isn't near as much. Although note that Sprint and Verizon have the LTE version of the nexus and Google has the GSM version.

Wonder if there are any 3rd party merchants/stores that buy phones from google and then sell them. Might not be feasible with cost but haven't looked. Maybe options on ebay for new unlocked galaxy nexus phones.
    knightfall likes this.
    06-23-2012 10:41 AM
    Nothing the s3 can do overcomes the elegance of the any-provider-you-want flexibility of my gnex gsm. Liked it enough i bought my wife one. But you need signal so make sure you can get a sim card with adequate coverage. Pure clean android is fantastic.

jnl813 and knightfall like this.
    06-23-2012 10:50 AM
    No envy here...

I imagine there won't be much envy with 4.1 around the corner, either.

knightfall likes this.
    06-23-2012 11:44 AM
    Thanks yet again, guys.

I really wanted to try out the S3, but Rogers (remember I'm in Canada so no AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon here) said it's been set back to June 27th now, and pre-orders are through the roof. As such, I had nothing to compare to, and couldn't get myself to settle on the Nexus quite yet.

It is cheaper though, that's something I've noted. $75 on a 3-year term, vs the S3 which I believe is considerably higher.
    06-23-2012 01:33 PM
    Nexus is better, no Touchwiz!
    knightfall likes this.
    06-23-2012 01:39 PM
    No envy at all. We'll be enjoying Jelly Bean while the rest of the world is trying to remove bloatware.

knightfall and pounder001 like this.
    06-23-2012 02:23 PM
    I have a bit, but I think the design is garish at best and TW is an absolute joke in my book.
    knightfall likes this.
    06-23-2012 02:28 PM
    Hardware yes, but as a overall no. Always Nexus wins over any other devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    bplewis24 and knightfall like this.
    06-24-2012 12:45 AM
    I got to play out with a GS3 a few days back and the build quality is positively horrendous..
    It feels like a toy and doesn't have any proper "heft".
    Also TouchWiz is crappy and tbh I didn't really notice a huge difference in smoothness other than the fact that it did not lag with LWPs.
    And with Jellybean just around the corner, no envy whatsoever.
    knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 12:54 AM
    For me both phones perform the same though nexus is highly customisable.

Nexus gets a plus one from me and now that 4.1 around the corner I guess will love my nexus more.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 06:15 AM
    Hardware wise I want the better Camera and for sure the SD slot which I could really use.

The software far out weighs those 2 items. When will the S3 get JB? Oh yeah thats right...after the S4 comes out. lol

I am only looking forward to the next Nexus.
    knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 06:20 AM
    knightfall - PM me... I have an unlocked GNex - couple months old mint shape... i don't live too far from the Peg...
    knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 11:13 AM
    The nexus rogers sells is unlocked. They don't all know this... I'm loving the nexus, and the lack of buttons is nicer as is the easy root if desired. Wishing I had an SD card slot though... And the camera I hear is nice.

knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 11:17 AM
    knightfall - PM me... I have an unlocked GNex - couple months old mint shape... i don't live too far from the Peg...
    PM sent! Look forward to hearing from you.
    06-24-2012 11:23 AM
    No envy at all. Saw the s3, played around with it. Gf also played with it. She uses s2. We both were not impressed

knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 06:07 PM
    Nah, no SIII envy here. My Nexus has not given me any reason to have envy towards another device...especially one with a skin on it (TouchWiz).
    knightfall likes this.
    06-24-2012 06:59 PM
    The better camera, SD card slot, bigger screen, and thinner design make the SIII a clear winner in my book. However, I'd take the S3 over the Nexus if it had NONE of those features. Why?

The processor. The Snapdragon S4 with its 28nm process and integrated LTE is a huge winner in my book. The enormous battery gains the S3 enjoys over the Nexus is too much to pass up. Couple that with the superior radio performance of the S3 in all areas (especially WiFi) versus the Nexus and there's no way I'd stay with my Nexus. The only reason I'd ever keep my Nexus over the S3 would be if the S3 were locked down, but since Samsung is awesome and doesn't lock its phones, I can enjoy all of the benefits of the S3 without having to necessarily give up stock Android.

Sure, I loathe Android skins and have written many rants over the past few years about how bad skins are, but touchwiz nature ux is among the least intrusive, in some ways is (kinda) handsome looking, and won't be on there long anyway once CM9 comes to the phone. I'm hoping for full-fledged CM9 support within 2 months of the release of the phone on Verizon (nightlies for the US version, with no major bugs such as radio or kernel issues).

We'll see if CM9 comes to fruition that soon, but even if not I can deal with Touchwiz. The problem with my Nexus (I'm on my 4th replacement) is the utterly terrible call reception and microphone performance during voice calls. Callers constantly complain that my voice sounds muffled or that it cuts out, a problem I did not have on my Thunderbolt, nor my Droid X or OG Droid.

Suffice it to say, the hardware advantages of the S3 are enormous, enough so that there's many clear reasons why I will be upgrading to the S3 and leaving my very beloved Galaxy Nexus behind. I believe the next generation of Nexus hardware will yield much better performance than the Galaxy Nexus, and I'll proudly return to being a Nexus owner if that is the case. For now, I trust Samsung to get it right with the S3.
    06-25-2012 11:52 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD