Questions from Imminent Galaxy Nexus Buyer

Ken_FSU

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Guys,

After using an iPhone 4s for nearly a year, I am DYING to get back to Android via the Galaxy Nexus.

A couple of questions though that I was hoping you guys could help me with before I bought one tonight:

1) Does Hulu Plus work with the Nexus. I'm finding wildly varying answers to this question.

2) Is there a Podcatcher for Android that works as well as something like Instacast for the iPhone? I listen to a ton of podcasts, and I remember not being blown away by Google Listen. Also, are any of them capable of double speed playback?

Thanks a million!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Dogcatcher is what I switched to. Its a power users dream. It can d/l your podcasts in the background when on either wifi or if you prefer cell.

It can do 2x but requires an in app purchase and at $ 4.99 its pricey. That's in addition to whatever the app costs...either $2.99 or $4.99.

There is a learning curve , but to me its way more power full and way faster then instacast....and that's even before they ruined instacast(IMHO) with that last update.

It also let's you find and add your podcasts much easier then Instacast which was weakness to that app.

I use Dogcatcher nearly 14 hours a day as an Over the road truck driver and I do love it.

Vondutch67

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't a clue as to whether Hulu+ will work, so I apologize for that up front.

As for your podcast-app question: I'm a huge fan of Pocket Casts. I've used it daily for the past year, on both iPhones and Android devices, and I couldn't live without it.

Doggcatcher, as mentioned above, is also quite nice, but I found the UI of Pocket Casts more to my liking.

But, between those two choices, you're more than covered.

Here's a link to the Pocket Casts app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImF1LmNvbS5zaGlmdHlqZWxseS5wb2NrZXRjYXN0cyJd

lfeuln

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hulu Plus was finally authorized for the Galaxy Nexus this week, so yes it works. :) One caveat, while the video quality is OK I haven't found it quite as good as on iOS (and that goes for most streaming video apps unfortunately).

For podcasts I have Pocket Casts by Shifty Jelly. Not a power user but works for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ken_FSU

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for the info guys.

Was able to get a mint Verizon Galaxy Nexus, with three extra batteries and a dock, for $200 off of Craigslist.

So far, I'm loving it, and not missing the iPhone 4s at all except for podcast playback (looking forward to installing the apps you guys suggested above!)

One last question if you don't mind.

When I rooted my original Droid Incredible a few years ago, I was able to tether my other devices to the phone without a tethering plan, and without Verizon really knowing about it. Anyone know if Verizon has gotten wise to the game yet? I mainly just used it to do light web surfing at lunch on my iPad when the restaurant didn't have Wifi, so it wasn't heavy data use. Is this still possible with root, and if so, is WifiTether still the go-to app?

Thanks as always :)

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
DO IT.

I gave up on Google Listen a year ago, seemed like it stopped getting support.

I have used DoggCatcher exclusively since my Evo 4g days, and absolutely love it.

Hulu plus and Netflix both run great on my GNex.