Petition For Memory Cards on Future Nexus Devices

zachavm

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As the title says, I've started a petition to Google to include memory card slots on future nexus devices and to encourage other manufactures to do the same. Please check it out and sign the petition.

Also, if a wise and powerful mod saw fit, I think this could be worth a sticky.

Petition: Google: Include Memory Card Slots in Nexus Devices | Change.org

note: if you don't agree or simply don't see a need for memory cards then just don't sign. Please don't post negative comments in this thread

Update: Like the Facebook Page!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/CardSlotsForNexus

Last edited:

zachavm

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So did I post this is in the wrong place or does no one care?

Edit: Just noticed that practically all the posting is in the verizon forum. Would a mod mind moving this thread?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I've started a petition to Google to include memory card slots on future nexus devices and to encourage other manufactures to do the same. Please check it out and sign the petition.

Also, if a wise and powerful mod saw fit, I think this could be worth a sticky.

Petition: Google: Include Memory Card Slots in Nexus Devices | Change.org

note: if you don't agree or simply don't see a need for memory cards then just don't sign. Please don't post negative comments in this thread

Update: Like the Facebook Page!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/CardSlotsForNexus

Not a negative comment, just feedback. From what I understand Google has made the conscious decision to not use external memory cards and they are encouraging the OEMs to do the same. Having an external memory card is inherently less secure because of the way the file systems is set up, and inherently slower for read/write access than internal storage. Between larger internal storage and cloud storage for archival, they are trying to phase out external memory.

NexusQ

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I believe I have read that Google never wanted external storage but Apple was buying all the SSDs so they allowed external storage because they didn't have a choice.

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Google doesn't want people using SD cards. They've already said this. In all honesty, storage should just be storage.

By all means petition your opinions, but I don't think Google are going to listen I'm afraid. They've made their decision

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Google probably got just as tired as I did hearing people complain in reviews about x app not having app2sd. I hated the idea and had to frequently move apps back to local on my DroidX. App Installs would fail more than 50% of the time on my DX. By removing SD cards, they shut people up, improve installation, and make people like me happy.

A caveat: installs on my DX would succeed 100% if I unmounted the SD card. Not like it matters much anymore now that I have my Gnex. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Physical storage is not long for the world of mobile computing. And Google's newest Nexus device has no add on storage, so I believe you're fighting a losing battle.

Last edited:

mattyray1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This right here. Before I bought my nexus I considered another phone because of a lack of SD card in the nexus. But after reading around a bit and and testing the device I realized I didn't need an SD card. I can stream almost any media I need and as long as I'm not hoarding huge game files, I have plenty of space. The future of android will be SD-less. IMO

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Why I'm not signing this position:

http://m.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

How do we know Google is being fully honest here? Seems like its in their interest to push cloud storage on us... if they are well intentioned then I hope they find a workaround that allows us to pop in an SD card to move data

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How do we know Google is being fully honest here? Seems like its in their interest to push cloud storage on us... if they are well intentioned then I hope they find a workaround that allows us to pop in an SD card to move data

We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.

I'd sign a petition that mandates this file system.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with then on the file system but maybe having an SD card that is separate from the native file system would work?

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I also want an SD option. If they insist on not using them they could at least offer a phone with a more reasonable amount of storage. I need at LEAST 32gb.