Petition For Memory Cards on Future Nexus Devices

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary. I eventually delete or transfer photos. 16GB is way more than anyone could possibly use for apps and I do not watch movies. Even if I did I would not store more than 1 or 2 at a time. Why does everyone need more?

gaetawoo

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary. I eventually delete or transfer photos. 16GB is way more than anyone could possibly use for apps and I do not watch movies. Even if I did I would not store more than 1 or 2 at a time. Why does everyone need more?

Because people like to keep music or videos or pictures or other files on their phone, especially in cases of poor data connectivity or no data. How hard is that to understand.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I've totally changed my mind! Heck, I actually wish they'd REDUCE it to 5 or 6 gb. No one could possibly use more than 6 could they? I see NO POSSIBLE way.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because people like to keep music or videos or pictures or other files on their phone, especially in cases of poor data connectivity or no data. How hard is that to understand.

Last I checked, other phones have expandable memory available. If that feature is so important, don't buy a phone or tablet that doesn't have expandable memory.

You have choice.

If it's so important and the Nexus you want doesn't have it, speak with your wallet and don't buy the Nexus.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a Note with a 64 gb card and a SII with a 32gb card. I bought a Nexus to see if pure Android was as amazing as everyone here said it was. Guess what? It is. I love it. I bought a N7 too because I liked the Nexus so much. I knew I'd hate the limitation on space when I bought them. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they include more storage. I see the pros and cons of having removable storage but I personally believe the pros outweigh the cons. But I realize that Google is unlikely to change their minds. That's why I think they could at least offer a phone with more internal storage. I personally feel 32gb is the minimum amount I could get by with for my daily driver.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I've totally changed my mind! Heck, I actually wish they'd REDUCE it to 5 or 6 gb. No one could possibly use more than 6 could they? I see NO POSSIBLE way.

Let's see...

Playing N.O.V.A. 3, and Dead Space, and recently finished Shadowgun.
Rooted so I always keep my apps and data backed up with Titanium Backup. And I currently have 2 Nandroid backups saved.
That's over 12GB right there. And I haven't even gotten into music, pictures, and videos.

5GB or 6GB (or even 16GB) might work for you, but some people need more storage.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Let's see...

Playing N.O.V.A. 3, and Dead Space, and recently finished Shadowgun.
Rooted so I always keep my apps and data backed up with Titanium Backup. And I currently have 2 Nandroid backups saved.
That's over 12GB right there. And I haven't even gotten into music, pictures, and videos.

Sorry, my sarcasm must not have been heavy enough. I'm with you. The more storage the better.

5GB or 6GB (or even 16GB) might work for you, but some people need more storage.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think they should just make 32gb and 64gb models and go away from the 16gb. I don't like sd cards. Much perfer internal memory.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I quoted you but what I wrote about the smaller amount of storage was my attempt at sarcasm but for some reason what I wrote didn't show up. I think you got it though right? There's no such thing as too much storage for me. For me. I'd prefer removable but I'll take it built in. Either way, I'd like more. Sorry if my attempt to be more clear wasn't clear :)

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I quoted you but what I wrote about the smaller amount of storage was my attempt at sarcasm but for some reason what I wrote didn't show up. I think you got it though right? There's no such thing as too much storage for me. For me. I'd prefer removable but I'll take it built in. Either way, I'd like more. Sorry if my attempt to be more clear wasn't clear :)

It showed up but it in the middle of the quote. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

People like to do a lot of things, doesn't mean they are necessary. I have a camera with several memory cards. When I return from vacation they get transferred to my PC and also backed up and the cards are erased for the next time. I have several movies on DVD but it is a true rarity that I watch one more than once or twice. And while I technically could watch a movie on my Nexus, the screen is too small in my opinion to watch comfortably. My 7" tablet could handle it fine and then I either erase it or back it up somewhere. By keeping everything on your phone you are placing a lot of faith in it not breaking, getting stolen or lost. And let us not forget, Google promotes "cloud use" so a card slot is not a priority to them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
People like to do a lot of things, doesn't mean they are necessary. I have a camera with several memory cards. When I return from vacation they get transferred to my PC and also backed up and the cards are erased for the next time. I have several movies on DVD but it is a true rarity that I watch one more than once or twice. And while I technically could watch a movie on my Nexus, the screen is too small in my opinion to watch comfortably. My 7" tablet could handle it fine and then I either erase it or back it up somewhere. By keeping everything on your phone you are placing a lot of faith in it not breaking, getting stolen or lost. And let us not forget, Google promotes "cloud use" so a card slot is not a priority to them.

And unless there are no Android phones or tablets with am SD card slot, you will always have the choice to use a device that has what you need.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I really have to wonder why 16GB is not enough storage for people. I view my storage as temporary... ...Why does everyone need more?

First off, you shouldn’t “really have to wonder” about something as simple as people that have preferences different than yours. If you really are that self-centered and unaware then your parents and grade school teachers failed you.

In any case, I’ll tell you why I like to have removable storage on my mobile devices.

When I travel for work (I’m a design engineer and I often have to travel to one of our plants to support the assembly line when new changes occur) I often have to spend a couple of nights in a town where the best option available when the assembly line shuts down at 2:30pm is to just go back to the hotel and wait until bedtime. As such, I tend to have a couple of different games (which can take up a lot of space on internal memory) on them. I also like to have at least a couple of albums of songs on the internal storage because some of the areas I go to are rather rural and streaming from the net isn’t always an option. When I travel I tend to make use of the camera a good bit for work too. I have a need to document things with still pictures as well as video. It isn’t uncommon for me to generate up to 3 GB of pictures and videos in a 3 day trip. In this case, 11 GB of storage can easily be filled very quickly.

As for external storage, I use that for movies and TV shows. Sometimes when I have to travel I get very little notice (fly out the next day) so I have one 32GB mSD card that I can pop into the HTPC. I set it up to batch-convert any queued up DVRed TV shows that I haven’t watched yet and let it convert about 10 or 12 hours worth of shows overnight. In the morning I pull the mSD card out of the computer and pop it into the tablet on my way out the door.

If I’m at a hotel that has a decent TV w/ HDMI hookup, I’ll swap the mSD and use the phone to playback shows on the hotel TV so I can use the tablet to surf the web while watching. If I’m in a motel where the ‘ol Zenith only has a composite in (or just an old scart connector,) I’ll use the tablet and watch the shows directly on that. So while a lot of my storage is also “temporary,” 11GB on the device doesn’t cut it.

I suppose a person could look to get a tablet and a phone with 64GB of internal storage, and just copy the shows to both, but that isn’t an option that is economically viable, even if a couple of Nexus devices were offered with those capacities. In addition, I don’t have time in the morning to wait for two devices to copy 25 or so GB of video data either.

If you’re use case is basically a phone that is used to text your friends, yeah 16GB of total internal storage looks like plenty. But not everyone has the same use as you.

-Suntan

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 AM ----------

And let us not forget, Google promotes "cloud use" so a card slot is not a priority to them.

When's the last time you tried to rely on Google's cloud in the middle of rural Nebraska? Or worse, rural areas outside of Prague, Czech Republic or Warsaw, Poland?

Clouds are great for Google, not so good for you when you travel to areas that are completely sunny.

-Suntan

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
First off, you shouldn?t ?really have to wonder? about something as simple as people that have preferences different than yours. If you really are that self-centered and unaware then your parents and grade school teachers failed you.

In any case, I?ll tell you why I like to have removable storage on my mobile devices.

When I travel for work (I?m a design engineer and I often have to travel to one of our plants to support the assembly line when new changes occur) I often have to spend a couple of nights in a town where the best option available when the assembly line shuts down at 2:30pm is to just go back to the hotel and wait until bedtime. As such, I tend to have a couple of different games (which can take up a lot of space on internal memory) on them. I also like to have at least a couple of albums of songs on the internal storage because some of the areas I go to are rather rural and streaming from the net isn?t always an option. When I travel I tend to make use of the camera a good bit for work too. I have a need to document things with still pictures as well as video. It isn?t uncommon for me to generate up to 3 GB of pictures and videos in a 3 day trip. In this case, 11 GB of storage can easily be filled very quickly.

As for external storage, I use that for movies and TV shows. Sometimes when I have to travel I get very little notice (fly out the next day) so I have one 32GB mSD card that I can pop into the HTPC. I set it up to batch-convert any queued up DVRed TV shows that I haven?t watched yet and let it convert about 10 or 12 hours worth of shows overnight. In the morning I pull the mSD card out of the computer and pop it into the tablet on my way out the door.

If I?m at a hotel that has a decent TV w/ HDMI hookup, I?ll swap the mSD and use the phone to playback shows on the hotel TV so I can use the tablet to surf the web while watching. If I?m in a motel where the ?ol Zenith only has a composite in (or just an old scart connector,) I?ll use the tablet and watch the shows directly on that. So while a lot of my storage is also ?temporary,? 11GB on the device doesn?t cut it.

I suppose a person could look to get a tablet and a phone with 64GB of internal storage, and just copy the shows to both, but that isn?t an option that is economically viable, even if a couple of Nexus devices were offered with those capacities. In addition, I don?t have time in the morning to wait for two devices to copy 25 or so GB of video data either.

If you?re use case is basically a phone that is used to text your friends, yeah 16GB of total internal storage looks like plenty. But not everyone has the same use as you.

-Suntan

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 AM ----------

When's the last time you tried to rely on Google's cloud in the middle of rural Nebraska? Or worse, rural areas outside of Prague, Czech Republic or Warsaw, Poland?

Clouds are great for Google, not so good for you when you travel to areas that are completely sunny.

-Suntan

But..

unless there are no Android phones or tablets with am SD card slot, you will always have the choice to use a device that has what you need.

:)

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
But..

:)

I wasn't arguing that there are no choices. The guy specficially said he didn't understand why anyone would need more than 16GB onboard. My comments were in direct response to that confusion.

-Suntan

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
After my wife loosing her RAZR I would rather not have an SD card anyone can go through all your stuff. Also using the 32 GB nexus I have plenty of room and if I loose my phone all my stuff will be safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
If Google gives is 32 or 64 option, then that's the right direction to go IMO. Getting micro SD slot isn't that good of idea to me. Speed is what I desire and I have laptop for large size stuff for traveling.

16gb spies enough for me to store couple movies for flights and several books. I can swap movies from my laptop when I land.

Sent from my Nexus 7

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't miss the SD card at all to be honest. The main 3 reasons are (in no particular order):

Transferring large files to/from my pc using ADB is much faster than with my old class 2 card.

The media scanning garbage at every boot up was very annoying.

Now I don't have to eject the phone from my PC and manually turn off usb storage phone side lest I risk data corruption.

There are other reasons I can't think of.... I need some coffee. But yea, generally not really too sad about the change as it is clearly the way of the future. The internal storage in this device makes an SD card seem like a hodgepodge solution, to be honest, and not fitting for the flagship Google (dev) handset. This is oddly one of the things apple got right (did I just say that in a nexus forum??) . All IMHO of course. Don't keel me. :)

adamschuetze

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund