Google Play Movies and TV on a Rooted JB Nexus

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just update my Galaxy Nexus to Jelly Bean yesterday, and I was wondering before I start renting or buying movies if anyone has tried it on their rooted device and find it to be blocked like on all previous versions of the OS. Maybe it's just wistful thinking but I love the fact that Google finally made purchasing movies an option. Now I'm just wishing I could play these movies on my rooted Nexus.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Just installed the JB play store on my galaxy note (got the link from over at XDA). Hooked it thru my mhl cable to my 65 inch mistu tv and purchased an HD episode of Falling Skies. Worked great. Had to update Google play movies first to get it to play. But it worked fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted. The movies will work fine unless you are rooted. If so they won't play.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah rooted and running the (only one golden b5 Rom)

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh. Not sure about root on the nexus. Sorry. If my son gets back home soon I'll thieve his nexus and root and try it. He may not agree though.

Reactions: jrmoore10

Jays2Kings

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That is a TV episode though and I think you buy them instead of renting them, therefore you can keep them anyway, that or TV companies weren't as strict as movie companies.

My GNex wanted its own signature

Reactions: jrmoore10

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and try it myself. I plan on unrooting once the official update drops, but until then I'm rooted. :)

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Just checked movies. Some have the option to buy and some don't.

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess I will just buy the movies I want. If they don't work with root then I'll still have them for when I unroot.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and try it myself. I plan on unrooting once the official update drops, but until then I'm rooted. :)

That's the main reason i have never rooted my son's nexus. Having an unlocked phone without all the carrier bloatware almost makes rooting unnecessary.

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's the main reason i have never rooted my son's nexus. Having an unlocked phone without all the carrier bloatware almost makes rooting unnecessary.

Yeah, the only reason I'm rooted is to get an early taste of the Jelly Bean goodness. :rolleyes:

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried myself but I read on XDA somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that it was on fact working for people....fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jrmoore10

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried myself but I read on XDA somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that it was on fact working for people....fwiw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OK, I'm gonna give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith