Will I even get Jelly Bean OTA? 4.0.2

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading everywhere about people going into the Google Framework and clearing the data. Some also say to do the force close. Then going back and checking for an update.

While I've been told it may take a few tries, I'm up to #10. Then I've seen something about only 4.0.4 is getting the OTA. I'm on 4.0.2.

Am I screwed? Where do I stand compared to everyone else? My G.Nexus is from Rogers.

Edit: Here's a screen shot:

Last edited:

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can help you out. Do you have a CDMA or GSM Gnex?

If you are on VZW, you can very easily follow this guide here

That process will and should still work for GSM versions, you will just need to not use anything made for a Verizon CDMA build. :p

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My phone is from Rogers (Canadian), and I finally found out that my device is Sumsung Yakjuux - that of which is causing me and others who received their Nexus from Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, etc all grief and aggravation.

FYI, it's also GSM.

Apparently I need to get to Yakju.

Thanks for that link, but the writer is speaking of using things from Verizon. Is that compatible?

Also reading the version of flashing without rooting is confusing for me... Perhaps it's because he speaks of things which are not explained. ie.

This alternative method requires some familiarity with fastboot. If you have no idea what that is, or if you are barely acquainted with it, I suggest reading the guides linked in here or using the method above.

Linked in here? There was no link...

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Basically what he is saying, is that you would need to unlock your phone. There is a way to manually update without having root on your phone, but it will be a little more tricky to get it on there (more steps, etc.). If you would want to traverse those waters Jerry put together a guide here

That will show you how to unlock the bootloader, which will be the first step to glory.

Reactions: knightfall

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty sure that you can update your system to Google Yakju (no rooting required) which would allow you to get your updates via OTA direct from Google.
I am positive that you can find (via search) how to do here in the Google Galaxy Nexus threads, or on XDA

Hope this helps

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have a tutorial link they trust for me to do this? I won't have to root, right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

See this thread, I just went through the same thing. Near the end someone posted a link to a nice Windows program that makes it incredibly easy; after I had some trouble as you will see in the thread. That will get you to 4.0.4 and then you should be able to get JB OTA.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/183472-force-update-4-0-4-a.html

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just a courtesy follow up:

This site came up quite often through searches and recommendations: Guide: Update your Galaxy Nexus from ‘yakjuux’ to ‘yakju’ 4.0.4 – Mac OS X | Digital Igloo

Seeing that it told me I didn't have to root, and could re-lock my bootloader (for warranty sake) I decided to go for it, and long story short, I'm on Jelly Bean 4.1.1!

2 weeks of owning an Android and I already managed to do some successful "hacking". :p

Edit: I feel I should elaborate in case someone else comes across this thread.

• I followed the instructions word for word on my Apple computer using the guide I posted above.
  • The only hiccup I received was it rebooted on it's own 3 times and froze after I typed in ./fastboot -w update image-yakju-imm76d.zip. A battery pull and a boot into recovery, and I was back on track
  • After a successful boot into 4.0.4 the first system update was for 4.0.4… Odd, but I did it anyway. After it installed and rebooted, I did another system update check and Jelly Bean was waiting for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance