SIM Card Process for T-Mobile

xlnja

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am new to the whole SIM-card thing since I have always been on either Verizon or Sprint. I just bought the Galaxy Nexus and want to start a pre-paid plan with T-Mobile. I understand I need to buy a SIM card, but I also want to port my number from Sprint. The T-Mobile chat rep says I should buy the SIM card online (since it's on sale for $.99 right now) and then call Customer Service later to have the number ported. Does this sound correct? I had another person tell me that I need to go into the store, have them create a contract account to port the number and then change it to pre-paid. Does anyone know what the best process is?

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Everything I've read is activate online (especially if you are doing the $30 prepaid 5GB one) then call up port your number once it's activated. I activated mine online without issue and had HSPA+ working within an hour. Now that I know I get great TMO coverage in my metro I am going to port my number at the end of the month when my VZW contract expires :D and count my :-$

iopepper

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, VOR
You message very helpful. My google nexus gonna be delivered tonight. I am thinking to get tmobile 30 bucks plan. So you can get it from tmobile's website by chatting with one of their representatives, right? So the Representative will walk you through on how to set the web like APN ect? I am totally new to the android world. Just dick my iphone.

So the UPS guy just drive by my home. I gotta catch the guy.

thanks

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am new to the whole SIM-card thing since I have always been on either Verizon or Sprint. I just bought the Galaxy Nexus and want to start a pre-paid plan with T-Mobile. I understand I need to buy a SIM card, but I also want to port my number from Sprint. The T-Mobile chat rep says I should buy the SIM card online (since it's on sale for $.99 right now) and then call Customer Service later to have the number ported. Does this sound correct? I had another person tell me that I need to go into the store, have them create a contract account to port the number and then change it to pre-paid. Does anyone know what the best process is?

Just go to a store. The SIM should be free and you should walk out the door with everything ready to go and working.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
AFAIK, the $30/mo 4G 5GB 100 mins plan cannot be activated in store, I've read some people have tried and the in store people were clueless on the plan and could not activate it.

Order the sim online, it will come with an activation code. Activate online and make sure you choose the correct $30 plan.

You do not need to chat with anyone, just go to the prepaid area and pick the plan you want. It's pretty straight forward. Click the 'Activate' on the Magenta Bar upper right: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You can port your number at any time, so it is fine to get the sim first and activate it and then call customer support to do the port. The OP didn't say whether they wanted to do the 'web only' plan. If they don't, they have multiple options for getting and activating the sim but I would definitely NOT follow the advice to get a postpaid plan and port your number, then switch it to a pre-paid plan. You would then be paying a ridiculous amount of money to get out of your postpaid contract. DO NOT follow that advice.

iopepper, you can activate online by yourself and do not need to set APNs or anything on your phone. It is very easy. Do not do the 'chat' thing with a rep because they cannot set you up with the $30 plan, you have to do it totally online yourself (unless you go to walmart and buy a phone there). If you have not ordered the sim yet, order the 99cent sim activation kit online - it takes a few days to arrive. Since you are getting your phone today and have 2-4 days to wait for the sim kit to arrive, I would advise against activating the phone on any other carrier or plan in the meantime. If the IMEI of the phone is in use, you may have trouble doing the online activation of the $30 plan.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi, VOR
You message very helpful. My google nexus gonna be delivered tonight. I am thinking to get tmobile 30 bucks plan. So you can get it from tmobile's website by chatting with one of their representatives, right? So the Representative will walk you through on how to set the web like APN ect? I am totally new to the android world. Just dick my iphone.

No need to chat with anyone. Just buy the SIM activation kit and activate online with the $30 plan. You can do it all on your own.

Some people have reported their SIM activation kits having bad activation codes. In that case, you'll have to call in.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
iopepper, you can activate online by yourself and do not need to set APNs or anything on your phone.

Well I did the prepaid SIM with T-Mobile last Saturday and voice worked perfectly however data didn't work at all. Since the misses wanted to visit the hair salon I hit the local corporate T-Mobile store and they had to add a APN for the data. Took about 1 minute and I was in HSPA+ land! Data speeds are terrific especially when compared to my Verizon iPhone 4S!

Here are the two APN's (I only listed the items that require any values)

T-Mobile US - this was already on the phone and we didn't change it.

Name: T-Mobile US

APN: epc-tmobile.com

MMSC: http://mms.msg.end-t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

APN type: default,supl,mms

------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: t-mobile data

APN: epc.tmobile.com

MCC: 310

MCC: 260

APN type: default,supl,admin,dun,hipri

Hope this helps whoever might be going with the prepaid t-mobile plan.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
My phone automatically got the epc.tmobile.com APN. I don't have the other one you listed but my data is fine. Not sure what the first one does - my MMS works with the one APN I have. Anyway, that's good info to post for anyone who has problems or who messes up their settings.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My phone automatically got the epc.tmobile.com APN. I don't have the other one you listed but my data is fine. Not sure what the first one does - my MMS works with the one APN I have. Anyway, that's good info to post for anyone who has problems or who messes up their settings.

The first one only handled MMS and Voice for me, the second takes care of data. I suppose I could add the values in the APN type field all in one APN.

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and pay the $20 to port your number to Google Voice. Then you'll have it and won't have to go through this every time you change service providers and you'll get the all the other benefits.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah until Google starts charging..... They keep extending but one of these days I suppose they'll start charging for domestic and Canadian calls.

Google Extends Free Voice Calls in Google Voice for All of 2012 - Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter

I don't see Google charging for this service. Not with how half-baked Google Voice is in general. They already make money off of international calls.

And if they do start charging and you don't like it, you can just port back out of Google Voice. I think the $20 feel to port in and the convenience it gives you is worth that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20