Galaxy Nexus and ATT

zhenWP

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at getting the Gsm $349 Galaxy Nexus from the Google play store. I currently have a 4g LTE plan with AT&T, can I still use the data plan? Is HSPA + a 3G or 4g line? He anyone tried out the speeds?

This question probably has answers out there already but I somehow can't seem to find or understand it well enough. :/

Thanks for helping!

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I took the micro-SIM from my Lumia 900 and put it into the Nexus with no adapter. It took a few tries to get it lined up right but after that everything is fine. The SIM tray in the Nexus has a pretty tight fit so I don't feel like it will come lose. Get EDGE, 3G, and HSPA+ data no issues. HSPA+ is technically a 3G technology but AT&T (and Tmobile) call it 4G for now. The indicator doesn't say 4G though it says "H" on the Nexus.

Speeds are typical for each network.

Reactions: zhenWP

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You will not get LTE service on AT&T with the Google Galaxy Nexus. As stated above 3G and HSPA+ work fine

Good luck if you decide to go with the GN, it is a great device

devilsushi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The one down side from going from LTE to HSPA is the hardware profile on AT&T's side, its a headache to switch IMEI profiles. Retain the LTE profile and it should be fine. When you first insert the sim card the phones APN should download the PTA apn, if not then editing it in an easy fix. Sometimes the phone will load wap.cingular as default instead of the PTA apn in which you can find on xda.

sherwin892

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Again popped in my normal sized SIM and worked out of the box for me with H on top of signal bar icons indicating HSPA+. I'm coming from WP7.5 and have better reception/data where there's reception. I don't think I ever had HSPA+ on my Samsung Focus, does this change my plan? Is that extra on AT&T?

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The one down side from going from LTE to HSPA is the hardware profile on AT&T's side, its a headache to switch IMEI profiles. Retain the LTE profile and it should be fine. When you first insert the sim card the phones APN should download the PTA apn, if not then editing it in an easy fix. Sometimes the phone will load wap.cingular as default instead of the PTA apn in which you can find on xda.

If you've already got a lte plan, you can swap back and forth between the GNex and your lte phone without it messing anything up. The lte plans are backwards compatible. I know this because I have the GNex, One X, and GSIII and I switch between the GNex and the others all the time with no problems. This is straight from AT&T's mouth and my results have been as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Gents,

I ordered a GSM GNex as well. I'm currently using a microsim in my iPhone 4S. Question- instead of going to AT&T and getting lip because I bought a non-contract phone and then waiting while they activate a new sim and convince me that I made a HUGE mistake, can't I just buy an adaptor and call it a day. Especially since the microsim in the 4S is already using the HSPA+ side of AT&T's network.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Gents,

I ordered a GSM GNex as well. I'm currently using a microsim in my iPhone 4S. Question- instead of going to AT&T and getting lip because I bought a non-contract phone and then waiting while they activate a new sim and convince me that I made a HUGE mistake, can't I just buy an adaptor and call it a day. Especially since the microsim in the 4S is already using the HSPA+ side of AT&T's network.

Yes you can buy a tray adapter and it'll work just fine.

Reactions: Jon_Cox

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Gents,

Yep, just pop your micro SIM in the gnex and you're good to go. I did the exact same thing, as I had the 4S before I got my gnex.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Gents,

You don't even need an adapter. Just put it in and it will work, don't listen to AT&T. I move my micro-SIM between my iPhone, Lumia, and Nexus all the time with no issues.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you've already got a lte plan, you can swap back and forth between the GNex and your lte phone without it messing anything up. The lte plans are backwards compatible. I know this because I have the GNex, One X, and GSIII and I switch between the GNex and the others all the time with no problems. This is straight from AT&T's mouth and my results have been as much.

Agreed, I swap between the same 3 phones, with no issues

aplusn

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar question. I currently have an HTC one XL, but I am returning it within my 30 days. So I will go back to my iPhone 4s. So should ask for an HSPA+ SIM card or will using my iPhone's SIM be fine?

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar question. I currently have an HTC one XL, but I am returning it within my 30 days. So I will go back to my iPhone 4s. So should ask for an HSPA+ SIM card or will using my iPhone's SIM be fine?

Both of those phones have SIM cards that access the HSPA+ network, so you should be fine. Enjoy JB!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: aplusn

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad