HELP!! Nexus fan needing advice

bpacheco89

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all and thank you for reading,

I was a first time Android user when I purchased my Google Nexus S back over a year ago. It is time to get a new phone and I am between getting the best phone specs wise (Samsung Galaxy S3) or sticking to what I know and love, the Nexus way, and getting a Galaxy Nexus.

I know the differences that both offer and I never really liked the Galaxy Nexus when it first came out. I thought the specs werent that good (screen and camera mainly) but now with Jelly bean and how smooth it runs I think I'm partial to the Nexus.

Ive also always loved how quick Nexus phones get updates and if you dont get it OTA you can always do it manually without being rooted.

I HATE manufacturer add-on skins even though they can be easily replaced, nothing looks or feels as good as Nexus. In addition, the S3 will not have Jelly bean until who knows when and I'm not really trying to root it unless necessary.

My question is this: Are the spec differences enough to make me wanna go to S3 or is the addition of Jelly bean RIGHT NOW enough to make the Galaxy Nexus the right choice (even with its inferior camera and screen)?

*I know this is basically up to me but I just want your advanced Android knowledge/opinions to learn what the community thinks*

BTW, I have not yet used either phone in person.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep I was making the same decision as you a couple weeks ago and could only check out the Nexus in the store and watch the GS III reviews online. Not much is differentiated between the two IMHO so this is how I came to the conclusion to purchase my Nexus:

Can I live with the 5MP Nexus Camera? Yes (I have a real DSLR for picture taking when needed)
Can I live with Touchwizz? Heck No
Can I live with having another carrier two year contract? No
Can I live with having slow bug fixes? No
Can I live with the Nexus battery life? Yes with an extended battery ( I got the Sammy 2000MA off e-bay for $27.00)

So I basically created a very poor decision flow diagram in my head and ordered the Nexus from Google and I'm very happy. With the money I'm saving with my prepaid plan I can afford the new "Nexus" in 6 months and still put money in my pocket.

Reactions: bpacheco89

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yep I was making the same decision as you a couple weeks ago and could only check out the Nexus in the store and watch the GS III reviews online. Not much is differentiated between the two IMHO so this is how I came to the conclusion to purchase my Nexus:

Can I live with the 5MP Nexus Camera? Yes (I have a real DSLR for picture taking when needed)
Can I live with the Nexus battery life? Yes with an extended battery ( I got the Sammy 2000MA off e-bay for $27.00)

So I basically created a very poor decision flow diagram in my head and ordered the Nexus from Google and I'm very happy. With the money I'm saving with my prepaid plan I can afford the new "Nexus" in 6 months and still put money in my pocket.

A very good decision and wise advice. I've got the GNex, One X, and I'm test-running the GSIII and I can tell you without a doubt my favorite is the GNex with JB. It's so darn quick and smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bpacheco89

bpacheco89

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to both I think Ill stick to my roots and go with Nexus! I love plain android and cant stand late updates either... THANKS A LOT to both

its_lucky

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to both I think Ill stick to my roots and go with Nexus! I love plain android and cant stand late updates either... THANKS A LOT to both

Good Choice!
I'm sure you wont regret it!

I am in a similar situation, except i'm debating on getting a GNex or waiting for the next Nexus. I hate waiting for the latest software... so it's a matter of being able to wait for the latest hardware... lol

...and there's nothing "plain" about "vanilla" Android ;)

viadroid

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about purchasing a new Nexus (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/us/?playredirect=true&hl=en&token=nWD3dM4g) from Google Play, to use on my AT&T line.

Using a scale of 1 through 10, how would you rate it's performance ,amount of lag, and battery life in it's out of box, stock configuration.

If it's rooted, how does it rate using the same scale?

What are the major advantages of rooting?

Is it best to search this forum for a tutorial to teach how to root?

For someone new, with good computer skills, how difficult is it to learn to root the phone, and typically how long does the process take?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The Google Gnex is crazy easy to root...most would agree that it's the best android phone to hack. There are lots of good articles and posts on this site and others, try xda.

As for the OP...welcome to the jungle!

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking about purchasing a new Nexus (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om/us/?playredirect=true&hl=en&token=T0R3kBgW) from Google Play, to use on my AT&T line.

Using a scale of 1 through 10, how would you rate it's performance ,amount of lag, and battery life in it's out of box, stock configuration.

If it's rooted, how does it rate using the same scale?

What are the major advantages of rooting?

Is it best to search this forum for a tutorial to teach how to root?

For someone new, with good computer skills, how difficult is it to learn to root the phone, and typically how long does the process take?

Phew, lots of questions! I'm in the same boat as you, using a GSM Nexus on AT&T. Works great, no problems whatsoever.

This is my second Android and it is absolutely fantastic. Speed is amazing, hardware is current and the software is mind blowing. Jelly Bean set a whole new standard for Android devices - those without it have no idea what they're missing. I'm not one to call anything "perfect" because there is always room for improvement, but this phone is as close to perfection that is on the market right now.

As for being rooted, gaining super user permissions is a good thing. There are plenty of apps that require root access, and rooting your phone - especially a Nexus - is painless.

Some people will tell you to do it manually (ie. the harder way), but for someone who is unfamiliar with the process, use a toolkit. Specifically, this one by WugFresh

It has everything you need baked in, and will guide you through the process step-by-step.

It can be a daunting task when you first dive in, but it's really not hard to do. Read up on the toolkit before you jump in, but don't be scared.

A brief summary of what you need to do, and again, all of this is included in the toolkit, step-by-step...

First you install the Samsung drivers on your computer. This is honestly the hardest and most time consuming part of the whole ordeal, and you aren't even on your phone yet.

Once the drivers are installed correctly it's time to plug in the phone. It'll ask you some questions and run some tests to make sure the drivers are installed correctly. Just pay attention and follow along.

Then it's time to unlock the bootloader. This is really quick and only takes one reboot of the phone - and one selection to "Yes Unlock the bootloader" on your phone. You will select the option on the toolkit, click, and let the program do the work. As a warning though: Unlocking the bootloader wipes your device clean. So make sure you've backed everything up you want saved.

Once you have an unlocked bootloader you can proceed to root the phone. Again, just one click and the program takes over. Follow along because it will prompt you to do some clicking around. Not hard to follow though. Rooting does NOT require a wipe, but in order to root, you need an unlocked bootloader. So no way around a wiped device if you have a locked bootloader - which you do, because that's how they ship.

After it's all done, you'll have SuperUser installed on your device. Run the binary updates on the app and you should be good to go. You can download "Root Checker" from the Play Store to verify if you have root access.

Overall, using WugFresh's toolkit is so easy. It's like impossible to mess it up. And even if you do, don't be concerned about bricking the device. You can always flash back completely stock and start over. When it's all said and done, from start to finish it should take no more than 15-20 minutes, with the majority of that time spent just installing the Samsung drivers on your computer.

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site

What pre-paid plans do people using the Galaxy Nexus usually prefer?

jbmoss2u

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the forum and starting my introduction, found this post and was glad to see that I am not alone. My daughter upgraded to the Nexus 4G the day it hit Sprint but she wasnt too thrilled with it so I swapped her New 4G for my several months old EVO (which I wasnt in love with) but we were both estatic. So, I have loved my N4G for two years, but am sarting to get the itch - and want to take advantage of the free GN from both Sprint and Verizon but I need advice on which carrier. i'm not happy with Sprint as they upgrade their LTE right now, and I have calculated that reliable service from Verizon will only hit me up an additional 19 bucks from what I pay with Sprint.

Question 1: With Sprint being marginally cheaper than Verizon for my useage and Verizon rumored to be better as far as speed and quality; are there other factors to consider in making my decision?
Question 2: If I save my funds to go with the GSM version, what non-contract carriers provide good non-contract service outside of ATT and T-Mobile?

jbmoss2u

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Repost - I mistakenly posted to someone elses reply - sorry; its my first post (well second)
I'm new to the forum and starting my introduction, found this post and was glad to see that I am not alone. My daughter upgraded to the Nexus 4G the day it hit Sprint but she wasnt too thrilled with it so I swapped her New 4G for my several months old EVO (which I wasnt in love with) but we were both estatic. So, I have loved my N4G for two years, but am sarting to get the itch - and want to take advantage of the free GN from both Sprint and Verizon but I need advice on which carrier. i'm not happy with Sprint as they upgrade their LTE right now, and I have calculated that reliable service from Verizon will only hit me up an additional 19 bucks from what I pay with Sprint.

Question 1: With Sprint being marginally cheaper than Verizon for my useage and Verizon rumored to be better as far as speed and quality; are there other factors to consider in making my decision?
Question 2: If I save my funds to go with the GSM version, what non-contract carriers provide good non-contract service outside of ATT and T-Mobile?

rob1261

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
go with the nexus $350 is a damn steal and is doesnt have a hint of lag on jelly bean plus not having a contract is a big bonus, the s3 is nice and all my friend has the verizon one I really cant get over the button setup?? wtf samsung what a cluster Fcuk! everyone needs to set the buttons up like google wants even if they dont want to use on screen buttons at least use the same button layout

rob1261

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
There is no point in waiting for the next nexus or next big thing cause you would be waiting forever 350$ is a steal and its no contract. If we were talking about a phone on contract maybe you would wanna wait a Little bit for the next best thing because you would be on contract and would be stuck for 2 years. Anyways when the next nexus or nexi?? Come out you can still sell the galaxy nexus and make most of your 350$ back from selling it
Just my 2 cents:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc